C5 facelift

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: C5 facelift

Post by Tyke »

minichaz wrote:Oh dear. At the risk of incurring the wrath of what seems to be everyone else... I prefer the new look! :) It's cleaner and sleeker I think.

I agree that perhaps it should get a designation other than "C5 Malvern" as the original design was clearly one that many people loved dearly.

Charlie

Each to their own, if you like it then :thumbup:

Personally if they don't drop the word quintessential from this one's advertising info then I'd have them up in front of the Advertising Standards Authority for a blatant misdescription.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Tyke wrote:Personally if they don't drop the work quintessential from this one's advertising info then I'd have them up in front of the Advertising Standards Authority for a blatant misdescription.
This comes across as a little bitter Tyke.

You may find the description a bit subjective as quintessntial is an adjective and would be difficult to dispute in the context in which it is used. :)

From my perspective, despite the dial change, I see no problem with its use.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Kip wrote:
Tyke wrote:Personally if they don't drop the work quintessential from this one's advertising info then I'd have them up in front of the Advertising Standards Authority for a blatant misdescription.
This comes across as a little bitter Tyke.

You may find the description a bit subjective as quintessntial is an adjective and would be difficult to dispute in the context in which it is used. :)

From my perspective, despite the dial change, I see no problem with its use.

Perhaps a bit harsh and a litle flippant, but that dial just isn't quintessentially C5.
It's like saying Joseph Merrick is the quintessential Victorian Gentleman!
sibex
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by sibex »

Tyke wrote:
Perhaps a bit harsh and a litle flippant, but that dial just isn't quintessentially C5.
It's like saying Joseph Merrick is the quintessential Victorian Gentleman!

haha..what a superb analogy.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Pity the lug size is unchanged.
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Post by Uncle Bill »

I have two early C5s and two C5 Aviators; I gave an early C5 to my son some while ago. Clearly I am pretty taken with the style and wearability of the 'Swiss Movt/Swiss Made' C5s. I also have a number of larger watches, so you can see that I'm not stuck on one particular size. However, for many years I have wanted a Chronometer, so I have just this moment ordered a C50 COSC. If anyone is interested I'll let you know how they all compare? UB :)
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Uncle Bill wrote:I have two early C5s and two C5 Aviators; I gave an early C5 to my son some while ago. Clearly I am pretty taken with the style and wearability of the 'Swiss Made' C5s. I also have a number of larger watches, so you can see that I'm not stuck on one particular size. However, for many years I have wanted a Chronometer, so I have just this moment ordered a C50 COSC. If anyone is interested I'll let you know how they all compare? UB :)
Congratulations UB! Of course we want comparisons.......that's what we do! :D
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I have never owned a C5, as I prefer my watches to be 40-42mm, but I have to agree, the original C5 Malvern had a unique style, whereas the new one looks a bit generic.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Kip wrote:You may find the description a bit subjective as quintessntial is an adjective and would be difficult to dispute in the context in which it is used. :)
FWIW, the bit in the website reads "...quintessentially English design..."
That would be very difficult to argue against, so I'd agree with Kip there.
Again, FWIW, I personally prefer the original dial, and I'm glad that my gold C5 has it. That, however, wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if I decided to add a steel-cased version, it's still a stunning watch.
However, the wesite description does need to be amended...an oversight, I'm sure.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jack »

Uncle Bill wrote:I have two early C5s and two C5 Aviators; I gave an early C5 to my son some while ago. Clearly I am pretty taken with the style and wearability of the 'Swiss Made' C5s. I also have a number of larger watches, so you can see that I'm not stuck on one particular size. However, for many years I have wanted a Chronometer, so I have just this moment ordered a C50 COSC. If anyone is interested I'll let you know how they all compare? UB :)
Hi Uncle Bill,

I have a 2007 vintage C5 and am very taken by the C50 COSC. I would be very interested in reading your thoughts and comparison with the C5's.

Cheers,
Jack.
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtea »

Tyke wrote:I see the C5 silver case auto's have now undergone the same facelift as their quartz siblings and are sporting the galvanic face design of the C50 :thumbdown: . Such a shame that the lovely 2 piece dial can now only be had on the gold case or black faced models.

I see CWL can't get their heads round the fact that if you change the design of a watch then you also need to alter the text that goes with it. The descriptions for the SWT & SWK are still detailing the previous 2 piece face design. Are we their only copy checkers? :?
Hi

I recently picked up 2 C5 Quartz one steel with the newer face and 1 gold with the older style
I really like them both
Funny thing is when i first received the steel version with the plainer galvanic dial i was a bit put out as expected the two piece dial :shock:
I even considered a 60/60 thing ...... But after a few days i realized the new style dial had a little more to it than meets the eye
In differing light conditions the dial seems to be several different subtle shades and hues ... sometimes Ivory as described other times greener or even towards a more peach colour
Also the galvanic thing seems to alter at times its more shimmery (if thats a word ) then again at times the dial seems plainer
Basically i kept them both anyhow and find the Gold plated older style suits me as more of a dress watch proper whereas the steel galvanic is quite flexible in wear
I can certainly see the purist view on the more intricate record groove dial but the galvanic has really grown on me

Regards
Rich
8 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Post by Uncle Bill »

I am wearing a cream faced Swiss Made C5, steel trim and hands, black strap. My email suggests that my C50 should be with me today. I asked for No. 66. When I have it I'll post comment in 'Reviews'; it doesn't belong in this thread.

I've raised a quizzical eyebrow and voiced a comment to the dog on the desires for the appellation C5 to be given to an identically styled watch to the one that I am wearing. Why? A later model that looks similar has a different engine with a different level of decoration. (the Sellita motor)

A Cortina was a Cortina even though having different motors, decoration and performance. A later model was called a Cortina even though it didn't look at all like the old one. Currently the Focus and Fiestas are spoken of as identical concepts to all those that began and followed, motors, decoration and performance are totally different as models evolve. Look at other makes, look at other items in our lives that are known by that which was very good so that the name became generic.

A C5 is a concept, it is worn in much the same circumstances all the time, but it has gradually obtained new motors, decoration and trim. Do you fancy a Ferrari? They're all the same, aren't they?

Because I'm old enough, I preferred the performance of the Mk 1 Lotus Cortina to that of the Mk. 2. I like the handling of the Focus Mk 1 with its shorter wheelbase to that of the later, longer models.

I like the evolved C5, with its fresher face and less-decorated motor, as much as the earlier models. The bodywork is the same. The concept is the same. It's a good watch... UB :)
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

My comments regarding the C5 are more to do with the terminology used to describe them rather than the changes to the watch itself, although I think removal of the main characteristic that made the C5 what it was is an unwelcome step, but time & sales will no doubt determine that.

The 2 piece dial C5 would be instantly recognisable as a C5 even without the name, its style is that iconic. To my eyes,the current galvanic faced offering shorn of its name frankly could be made by anybody as it has lost the vital strand of DNA that identifies it both as a C5 & being quintessentially English in style.

I get the feeling that it's just change for changes sake. I just hope they haven't fallen into the same trap that Coca Cola did when they introduced !new improved better than ever! Coke mk2, only to have to crawl back to original Coke when sales plummeted.

Oh, and the description of the face is still wrong on the SWT / SWK sales pages + they need to update the box & papers picture as well, because they are still using the old 2 piece face image which might be confusing to some buyers.
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

I will keep this short and sweet, I have both dial types and BOTH are equally as beautiful IMHO :thumbup:

The black 2 piece dial has a little depth to it but when worn it looks as though its just a single layer, probably not the case with the cream, then the champagne colour of the C50 looks like a 4 quarter dial when the light shades move around the dial when the light hits it (if you know what i mean ) :lol: but both beautiful.

Just my 2p worth.

And congrats U.B :clap:
Graham
sibex
Senior
Senior

Post by sibex »

I do love the face on the c50, i personally dont think it looks as balanced on the c5.