C5 Bracelet adjustment - update

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

C5 Bracelet adjustment - update

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Well....I gave it a go with my high quality Rolson Watch Spring Bar Tool and I must have been using too much hand pressure as, lo and behold, upon light contact with the pin the 'heavy duty all metal construction with hardened steel tip' snapped like a twiglet.

I mean if the packing said 'fragile, made of fine china, do not apply pressure' or 'liable to snap' I'd have handled it differently, but it didn't!

So with a fiver in my pocket it's plan B, off to the jewellers for a proper person with proper tools (not to mention the trip back to the high street to return the 'tool' and get my money back) to shorten the bracelet :shock:
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: C5 Bracelet adjustment - update

Post by rcherryuk »

One of those blue ones was it? They seem to break easily, that's why they often come with a bag of dare tis.

The one I use is this one: Bracelet Pin Removing Tool Ref: B1008 on this page:

http://www.agtshop.co.uk/acatalog/Bracelet_Tools.html

So far it's done my C60, Oris Diver ad Speedmaster along several others with no problems so far.
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Thanks rcherryuk, I'll follow that link. It's good to recommendations for tools that have been tried and tested
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

rcherryuk wrote:One of those blue ones was it? They seem to break easily, that's why they often come with a bag of dare tis.

The one I use is this one: Bracelet Pin Removing Tool Ref: B1008 on this page:

http://www.agtshop.co.uk/acatalog/Bracelet_Tools.html

So far it's done my C60, Oris Diver ad Speedmaster along several others with no problems so far.

That looks quite useful -- might have to invest in one of those! :D

On another note, I got a mis-matched pair of spring-bars with my C5A bracelet from the sale. I can drop Wera a line and have no doubt it will be sorted without problems but, before I do, I'd just like to check what I'm actually asking for...

The pins I received were one at 18mm but very thin diameter and the other much thicker but too long (22mm, I think). The thin pin is obviously the correct size for the lugs but seems very loose in the slot thought the shoulders of the bracelet whereas the thicker pin seems much sturdier and fits the bracelet perfectly but is obviously too big for the lugs.

To anyone who has a C5 on a bracelet(I guess standard or Aviator as the bracelets are essentially the same), can you confirm what size pins should, ideally, be used for the bracelet please? Many thanks!

I guess any 18mm pins would work but it just appears that the shoulders would fit more securely tithe case on the thicker pins...?

:?
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

The pins on my C5 aviator bracelet are 21 mm and fitted my standard C5 watch. The pins for the aviator strap are longer than those supplied with the standard leather strap and Wera is going to send me another set of pins.