LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

C5 Aviator Mark II - General discussion

Post by Kip »

Another model that is near the end of its run.......

The C5 Aviator Limited Edition is expected to be sold out by the end of this year.

Chris was curious about everyones views on a Mark II version. It is something they are considering.

Another opportunity to get your voice heard.

Size, color, dial change.....

What say you?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Re: C5 Aviator MII

Post by Uncle Bill »

Something like:- a numbered dial similar to the present Aviator, 40mm and with a 2836, day and date. Combining, if you like, the Aviator and the Forum LE, but with eased shoulders on the lugs. Bit smooth, bit smart...UB
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
stoneyloon
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by stoneyloon »

Something I would prefer on all of CW's future watches would be to get rid of the "Christopher Ward London" wording.

Specifically for the Mk2 Aviator, I would lose the inner dial, increase the size up to 40mm, change to a square date window with a colour matching date wheel. I'd really love to see a ridged machined case and crown.
Cheers,
Adam.

Caught the bug........
wilko
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by wilko »

a 40mm navigators crono version with colour matched date wheel works for me.
Andyft21
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by Andyft21 »

How about a true UK spec military chrono, simple clean lines, uncluttered dial, no bezel, not quarts. This would be very different to what is in the CW line up at this time.

Andy
Andy
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: General discussion

Post by downer »

I think the C5 Aviator is close to being (or becoming) the CW signature watch. When you look at the comments on this forum, there are plenty of people who would choose it as their definitive CW.

Therefore, the design should be treated with the utmost respect, and should be evolved, rather than totally reinvented.

It has to be a Mark II, not a new watch. There must be a clear link between Mark 1 and Mark II.
Richard
Andyft21
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Andyft21 »

downer wrote:I think the C5 Aviator is close to being (or becoming) the CW signature watch. When you look at the comments on this forum, there are plenty of people who would choose it as their definitive CW.

Therefore, the design should be treated with the utmost respect, and should be evolved, rather than totally reinvented.

It has to be a Mark II, not a new watch. There must be a clear link between Mark 1 and Mark II.
I know what you are saying, I love my C5 aviator, but I am not sure I would buy a slightly bigger, slightly different version of the same watch.

Having said that I have 4 versions of the C6/C60 so what do I know.

Andy
Andy
downer

Post by downer »

Andyft21 wrote: I know what you are saying, I love my C5 aviator, but I am not sure I would buy a slightly bigger, slightly different version of the same watch.

Andy
I agree there is some risk of the Mk2 being too similar to the original, and therefore, not appealing to those who already own one. But this type of watch surely appeals to watch lovers, rather than the 'man in the street', and watch lovers (as we know :D ) are not always rational when it comes to having more than one watch that looks very similar...

I reckon there are at least three audiences for this watch:

- Those looking for a clean 'Aviator' who were not aware of the original
- Those who didn't buy the original because they perceived a weakness of some sort
- Those who have an original but also like the idea of collecting the 'series', Original -> Mark II -> Mark III etc (this is me :) )
Richard
Andyft21
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Andyft21 »

downer wrote:
Andyft21 wrote: I know what you are saying, I love my C5 aviator, but I am not sure I would buy a slightly bigger, slightly different version of the same watch.

Andy
I agree there is some risk of the Mk2 being too similar to the original, and therefore, not appealing to those who already own one. But this type of watch surely appeals to watch lovers, rather than the 'man in the street', and watch lovers (as we know :D ) are not always rational when it comes to having more than one watch that looks very similar...

I reckon there are at least three audiences for this watch:

- Those looking for a clean 'Aviator' who were not aware of the original
- Those who didn't buy the original because they perceived a weakness of some sort
- Those who have an original but also like the idea of collecting the 'series', Original -> Mark II -> Mark III etc (this is me :) )
Your absolutely right.

Chris has given us an opportunity to give input and shape the MkII, so hopefully as many members as possible will make thier input and we can make the MkII a future classic.
Andy
MorrisOx
Guru
Guru

Post by MorrisOx »

I reckon I speak for many when I say that the C5 Aviator LE is the watch which, for me, defines CW - a classic design, a discreet elegance, topped off by a remarkably high-end finish for what remains a stunning price.

Someone else has already said it's a signature, and on that basis alone it should continue. But there is another reason, too: an avowedly English watchmaker should stay committed to producing timepieces which recall an era that was one of the most important in recent English history, and the armed force that played a key role in it.

For me, the Aviator is great as it is, but it could easily cope with a 40mm case, and a face/date orifice which is less obviously from the C5 template. Just keep it restrained and discreet.

2010 will be the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and there would be no better way for CW to pay tribute than with a new version of the C5 Aviator. I know we already have the sector watches, but they are very 'marmite' in their appeal. The C5 Aviator LE is right up there with an IWC Mk XV in terms of look and feel, way beyong it in value. And it's English.
C5 Malvern Aviator LE
C8 Pilot Mk1 004
C3 Malvern Chrono
C4 Peregrine 'Phoenix'
Eterna Airforce
Steinhart Nav B Chrono II
Steinhart Ocean One GMT
Bulova Moonwatch
Marloe Coniston Bluebird
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
Longines Master Chrono Moonphase
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

MorrisOx wrote:I reckon I speak for many when I say that the C5 Aviator LE is the watch which, for me, defines CW - a classic design, a discreet elegance, topped off by a remarkably high-end finish for what remains a stunning price.

Someone else has already said it's a signature, and on that basis alone it should continue. But there is another reason, too: an avowedly English watchmaker should stay committed to producing timepieces which recall an era that was one of the most important in recent English history, and the armed force that played a key role in it.

For me, the Aviator is great as it is, but it could easily cope with a 40mm case, and a face/date orifice which is less obviously from the C5 template. Just keep it restrained and discreet.

2010 will be the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and there would be no better way for CW to pay tribute than with a new version of the C5 Aviator. I know we already have the sector watches, but they are very 'marmite' in their appeal. The C5 Aviator LE is right up there with an IWC Mk XV in terms of look and feel, way beyong it in value. And it's English.
Well said old boy! :D
A "70th Anniversary Battle of Brittain" watch, Wizard Prang Algie. :lol:
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Vista
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Vista »

Change the inner scale to hours, larger case, increase size of hands, make a less dressy more aviator style strap. I have found that the case marks up quite easily as well and could do with being more hard wearing.

Still the best watch ever produced by CW by a long way in my opinion, decoration on movement is superb.
Christopher Ward - C5 Aviator, C6 once owned
Seiko Monster
Sector Adv 5500
TW Steel Grandeur Swiss Auto
shrink
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by shrink »

wasnt the aviator supposed to be a limited edition?

surely by creating a new one, CW just take something away from those who do have one already.

Its not very limited if you make a mkII version!
Who watches the watch-men
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

shrink wrote:wasnt the aviator supposed to be a limited edition?

surely by creating a new one, CW just take something away from those who do have one already.

Its not very limited if you make a mkII version!
Yes it is a limited edition.

You can still make another version by changing,updating or enhancing the existing one without affecting the original version. It will still be a new model.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

stoneyloon wrote:Something I would prefer on all of CW's future watches would be to get rid of the "Christopher Ward London" wording.
I like the "London" bit.
I wonder how it would look with the Logo and "London"
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.