Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

Bronze twins šŸ˜ƒ

C65 Trident Diver SH21 Bronze LE - One of the CWs Iā€™ve been waiting for and itā€™s everything I expected it would be. The dial, the small seconds, the date, all stunning. Takes ages to hand wind, but it then runs for 5 days.

C65 Trident Diver Bronze Prototype - Simple, elegant dial. Slight ā€œOmbrĆ©ā€ style markings on it. Quick and easy to wind and ready to go whenever.

Both take a range of strapsā€¦ brown leather, blue hybrid, blue canvas, distressed leather, and look stunning.

Now I have to decide do I keep both ? :problem: :lol:

004F9CAD-0F43-4925-8969-B50F7F8436D2.jpeg
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by Bounce »

Both great lookers, but if I had to keep one it would be the SH21, better looking to me.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Bounce wrote: ā†‘Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:58 pm Both great lookers, but if I had to keep one it would be the SH21, better looking to me.
This is my current thinking too, but gosh itā€™s still hard to think about letting one go šŸ˜¬

I donā€™t ā€œneedā€ to let one go, but I just donā€™t like the thought of loving one more and neglecting the otherā€¦ very much a first world problem šŸ¤£
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have been making a conscious attempt recently to avoid repetition and redundancy in my main watch box. To me it seems that the SH 21 does everything the other watch does and more, so it begs the question of when you would choose to wear one over the other. However, your take on it could be different.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

Agree, both lovely looking watches, however SH21 LE for me would be the keeper. It has more going for it, i love the small seconds and it has the date window too :thumbup:
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: ā†‘Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:10 pm I have been making a conscious attempt recently to avoid repetition and redundancy in my main watch box. To me it seems that the SH 21 does everything the other watch does and more, so it begs the question of when you would choose to wear one over the other. However, your take on it could be different.
That's becoming my view recently too... I've acquired a significant number of lovely watches, but they're not here to sit in a watch box, but actually be worn. My fear is that one will get worn and the other won't, and just sit languishing in the box... that doesn't seem right to me, when someone else could be enjoying it as their pride and joy :thumbup:

Not rushing the decision, but heart and head are definitely playing their parts here :lol:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

If you don't need to let one go yet, my advice would be to keep both until a clear winner/loser emerges in your own mind, and then sell the "loser" as it were. If a clear winner never emerges, then keep them both ad infinitum if you get pleasure from both of them. :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I'm not saying this to be different, but I like the flexibility of a "no date" watch, ready to go as you say so, for me. the C65 prototype would win.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

cincfleet wrote: ā†‘Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:13 pm Agree, both lovely looking watches, however SH21 LE for me would be the keeper. It has more going for it, i love the small seconds and it has the date window too :thumbup:
In most respects they are identical... same bronze case, blue face (although the prototype does have very light slight "Ombre" style markings) and primary hands.

The small seconds is something I've always liked on a watch (I also have the C8 PR and Stainless Steel SH21 LE). The date is useful and elegant.

Some differences are only really noticeable when side by side... the prototype (like other C65 Trident Divers) has second sub divisions, which (arguably) make the face more "busy".

But as mentioned above, real reason for my thinking, is that I am wondering now whether one will just not get worn as much (or at all) and that doesn't feel right :problem:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

welshlad wrote: ā†‘Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:17 pm If you don't need to let one go yet, my advice would be to keep both until a clear winner/loser emerges in your own mind, and then sell the "loser" as it were. If a clear winner never emerges, then keep them both ad infinitum if you get pleasure from both of them. :thumbup:
Good advice, and I'm in absolutely no rush at all here... not thinking of selling one to fund another purchase, that's already covered :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

exHowfener wrote: ā†‘Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:19 pm I'm not saying this to be different, but I like the flexibility of a "no date" watch, ready to go as you say so, for me. the C65 prototype would win.
That's one of the things that's stopping these being a no brainer decision... the SH21, whilst it runs for 5 days it does need a significant amount of winding and the crown is smaller than on my C8 PR, so more effort. The C65 prototype is very much, wind 20/30 times (less than a minute), set time and put it on :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by CW257 »

Hard to say as I donā€™t know your collection size, preferences, financial situation, etc. but my own preference is to have as much diversity in my collection as possible. For me, those two are both so similar (and stunning, by the way) that Iā€™d happily forego one and then replace it with something totally different.

Thatā€™s just me, though. What a nice dilemma to have!
Rnd3

Post by Rnd3 »

Keep them both, you may end up regretting selling one
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Im gona agree with 2 posts above.

Id certainly keep both if you dont need to move any on. We all love our various watches, in different ways, and for different reasons. I certainly dont love all mine equally!
One will no doubt "win" but the other is too nice to ever loose, so its win win in my eyes!

In addition, I very much prefer the clean look of a no date. My watches are for time, not really date. But I appreciate others want/need a date feature.

Just my 2 penneth..!
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

JasperCat, there's a reason why God made more than 1 watch box...think about it.. :problem:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..