Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am
CW-watches: 11
Contact:

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

CW257 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:29 pm Hard to say as I don’t know your collection size, preferences, financial situation, etc. but my own preference is to have as much diversity in my collection as possible. For me, those two are both so similar (and stunning, by the way) that I’d happily forego one and then replace it with something totally different.

That’s just me, though. What a nice dilemma to have!
Collection is in my signature... 15 CW watches currently, all acquired within the last year. I do have quite a lot of C65s, but there is good variety in there now too amongst other models. No reason to sell quickly, just musing at the moment, having been wearing them through the day.

Both are lovely watches, and as you say it's a nice dilemma to have :lol:
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am
CW-watches: 11
Contact:

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

Dickchins wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:34 pm Im gona agree with 2 posts above.

Id certainly keep both if you dont need to move any on. We all love our various watches, in different ways, and for different reasons. I certainly dont love all mine equally!
One will no doubt "win" but the other is too nice to ever loose, so its win win in my eyes!

In addition, I very much prefer the clean look of a no date. My watches are for time, not really date. But I appreciate others want/need a date feature.

Just my 2 penneth..!
Good points, thank you and yes, I think I will most likely look "beyond the similarities" and view each one for their merits :thumbup:
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am
CW-watches: 11
Contact:

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

Thunder1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 pm JasperCat, there's a reason why God made more than 1 watch box...think about it.. :problem:
You've also discovered the other reason why this question came up today... I have run out of watch box and/or winder spaces with the recent acquisitions... so perhaps the easy answer is just to buy another watch box :lol:
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2446
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:39 pm
CW-watches: 7
Location: Dripping Springs, Tx.

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by Thunder1 »

JasperCat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:42 pm
Thunder1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 pm JasperCat, there's a reason why God made more than 1 watch box...think about it.. :problem:
You've also discovered the other reason why this question came up today... I have run out of watch box and/or winder spaces with the recent acquisitions... so perhaps the easy answer is just to buy another watch box :lol:
Yeppers!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
C60 GMT 600/C65 SH21 LE/C65 Khaki,Black,Blue dials/C65 Bronze Ombre LE & Dartmouth/C8 Power Reserve
Dickchins
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:00 pm
CW-watches: 6

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by Dickchins »

JasperCat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:42 pm
Thunder1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 pm JasperCat, there's a reason why God made more than 1 watch box...think about it.. :problem:
You've also discovered the other reason why this question came up today... I have run out of watch box and/or winder spaces with the recent acquisitions... so perhaps the easy answer is just to buy another watch box :lol:

Theres an absolute belter in the sales corner.... :D
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am
CW-watches: 11
Contact:

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

Dickchins wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:52 pm
Theres an absolute belter in the sales corner.... :D
:thumbup:
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
User avatar
strapline
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 3:00 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: SW Ireland

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by strapline »

Very, very similar in appearance, so I'd keep the SH21 model. I like the small seconds as well as the IH movement. I think the dial is more balanced with the date window, too. As for the winding, I'd find out how many winds it took to power up from empty to five day then I'd divide that number by five. Personally I'd be very happy with a 72hr power reserve, so would probably only keep the watch 3/5ths wound. Every so often you could give it the full winding when your fingers feel up to it.

Des
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. T Soprano
User avatar
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
Posts: 10800
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by Thegreyman »

As a few of the guys have said, they look too similar to me to keep both, I'd definitely go for the SH21 for the IHM, 5 day PR, small seconds and date window. Yes the winding does take a while, I have an 8 day PR HW watch and it takes 100+ winds but then that's it going for a week.

The other reason for me to only keep the SH21 would be something that is in my current thinking, in that it is a bit of a waste having all these watches sitting only being worn every 3 or 4 weeks hence I'm in the process of letting a few go.
Patrick

C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife)

Some others + a few on the way
User avatar
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 pm
CW-watches: 12
Location: Surrey

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

If it were me I’d keep only the one (SH21). Each watch in my collection has something that I see as unique. There’s significant overlap between these two and I would only want to keep one.
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am
CW-watches: 11
Contact:

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

strapline wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pm Very, very similar in appearance, so I'd keep the SH21 model. I like the small seconds as well as the IH movement. I think the dial is more balanced with the date window, too. As for the winding, I'd find out how many winds it took to power up from empty to five day then I'd divide that number by five. Personally I'd be very happy with a 72hr power reserve, so would probably only keep the watch 3/5ths wound. Every so often you could give it the full winding when your fingers feel up to it.

Des
That's a very valid point, it's only quicker and easier to power the prototype because it has a 38hr (ish) power reserve, nowhere near the 120hrs of the SH21. I've found with my C8 PR that I keep it wound every few days (even when not wearing it), simply because I can glance at it's power reserve complication and wind whenever I remember. I very much doubt I'll be letting this one run down completely and then winding it all the way to full power.

I agree, I'm finding the small seconds (replacing the six), date window and removal of those sub seconds markers, to be slightly more clean and balanced too :thumbup:
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am
CW-watches: 11
Contact:

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:24 pm As a few of the guys have said, they look too similar to me to keep both, I'd definitely go for the SH21 for the IHM, 5 day PR, small seconds and date window. Yes the winding does take a while, I have an 8 day PR HW watch and it takes 100+ winds but then that's it going for a week.

The other reason for me to only keep the SH21 would be something that is in my current thinking, in that it is a bit of a waste having all these watches sitting only being worn every 3 or 4 weeks hence I'm in the process of letting a few go.
Seems to be a fairly popular view as to which is the one to keep (if I was only keeping one). I'm also with you there, I'm starting to feel a little guilty about having all these watches in the watch box, wearing some one or two times a week, and others only every few weeks (or in some cases once a month or so) :thumbup:
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am
CW-watches: 11
Contact:

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:29 pm If it were me I’d keep only the one (SH21). Each watch in my collection has something that I see as unique. There’s significant overlap between these two and I would only want to keep one.
Again, that does seem to be the case here (pardon the pun)... there is a lot over overlap between these two and I don't want one to become neglected.

To a certain extent, I got the C65 prototype because I wanted the C65 in bronze with blue face, thinking that finding a C65 SH21 bronze would be difficult (or at least very expensive). Being lucky to grab this one in the clearance, means I now have the one I always wanted :problem:

On the other hand... the other is a prototype and so completely unique. There is something magical about a prototype. There is no financial advantage as these are not to become super expensive over time, but it will still always be "one of a kind" :D
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am
CW-watches: 11
Contact:

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

Thanks for all the replies everyone... in some ways this seems like an overindulgent thread, but it's genuinely become a question I've been asking myself today and these messages have been very helpful for that :thumbup:
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 28197
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 25
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

welshlad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:17 pm If you don't need to let one go yet, my advice would be to keep both until a clear winner/loser emerges in your own mind, and then sell the "loser" as it were. If a clear winner never emerges, then keep them both ad infinitum if you get pleasure from both of them. :thumbup:
That's about as much as I was going to suggest; albeit I was thinking there are enough differences between to two to justify keeping both. End of. :wink: :wink:

Guy
C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 Apex| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier
C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 Al Deere| C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C40
C60 FLEx2| C60 Bronze GMT| C60 AbyssSH21-Apex-Blue-Chrono-Concept-Elite P'type |C65 AMGT 2VEV
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am
CW-watches: 11
Contact:

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 am
That's about as much as I was going to suggest; albeit I was thinking there are enough differences between to two to justify keeping both. End of. :wink: :wink:

Guy
Sound advice from all :thumbup:

Would this confuse things… how about throwing the C65 Black Gold into the mix :lol:

A73939F5-12D6-4174-907F-3452D91E88FE.jpeg
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
Post Reply