Birth year watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Dan
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Birth year watches

Post by Dan »

I'm hoping your collective knowledge and wise words may help me with two, related, questions...

A good friend of mine is coming up to his 40th birthday and his wife asked for any suggestions for a present. I suggested buying a watch from the year he was born (1969) She thought it was a cracker and I've offered to help but I'm not sure where to start! Are there some good sites that offer help with research, purchasing etc for watches built in '69?

Later that day I was telling my wife about this and she had a rather interesting idea herself. Our son will be celebrating his 1st birthday in August and she has suggested that we buy him a watch that we keep and give to him as a present when he is say, 16, 18 or 21. In principle I love this idea but there are obviously some issues with this...

..its going to be in a box for a very long time (which is a real shame) but what about any implications for the movement if it's an auto? If it's a quartz watch (only a small possibility) the battery will have to come out but will there be any other issues? Any other long term storage ideas/issues for watches that you can think of?

Clearly we could buy a watch that he doesn't like so any suggestions for a brand/design that might transcend time and fashions (CW of course included)

Or is this a completely crazy idea that we should give up and just go and buy a bottle of wine that ages well for the next 20 odd years??!!
Christopher Ward - C7SKS | C6SOSZ | 2009 FLE
IWC Pilot's Watch Mark XVI
King Seiko Chronometer
wallbash
Senior
Senior

Re: Birth year watches

Post by wallbash »

Clearly we could buy a watch that he doesn't like
Others will give advice on the practical side, my worry is .... he wont wear it :shock:
Take him out near his birthday, buy him a watch he likes ..... everyone happy.

I wore my 18th for over 35 years.... because it was my choice,
My solution , put the money away, for the happy day.

Going back to the 40th wot you need is :D a Brietling .... like Wot I got !!!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I think this is a wonderful idea in both cases.

The problem is hunting down one. When I looked for mine I started with the manufacturers I was interested in and made note of the serial numbers that qualified for the birth year. Then I kept looking, searching and asking for the appropriate models. Frankly.. it took me 3 years before I found one that I was completely happy with, A 1952 Hamilton Brockton in pristine condition. Good luck is all I can wish you as it might not be a quick process.

As for your son. I would not be overly concerned about whether he will like the watch in 20 years or not. My guess is that will never matter. What will matter is that you had the foresight to do this and had the courage to follow through and hang on to it and then present it to him. That in itself will mean more than the actual watch itself. It will make for an excellent anecdote in starting a family tradition. I applaud you for this.

I would suggest a servicable watch such as a manual or automatic that you can have serviced before presentation when the time comes. I might also suggest a very classic or traditional styling.

I am not even sure in this case if brand even matters. If you want to tie up funds you can go for a major brand that currently shows it will appreciate or go for a CWL that may show much greater appreciation in years to come. There are many ways you can approach this.

If it were me (and I wish I had done this) I would get the watch, keep all the papers including receipts and then write a dated letter to my son explaining the circumstances, thoughts and reasons for this. Then I would put the letter with the watch not to be opened until his 21st birthday. Then I would sit back and hope that I am there to share the joy of him opening this and reading the letter.

I wish you all the best with this endeavor..and again I applaud you for this.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Dan
Senior
Senior

Post by Dan »

wallbash wrote:my worry is .... he wont wear it
That is certainly a valid concern and it's interesting to hear that the watch you picked when you were 18 was on your wrist for 35 years! Must have been a beauty.
Kip wrote:If it were me (and I wish I had done this) I would get the watch, keep all the papers including receipts and then write a dated letter to my son explaining the circumstances, thoughts and reasons for this. Then I would put the letter with the watch not to be opened until his 21st birthday. Then I would sit back and hope that I am there to share the joy of him opening this and reading the letter.
Kip, thanks for your kind words and thoughts, much appreciated, particularly the section I have quoted. I really love the idea of writing a letter that is included with the watch and if we do it, that will definitely be part of the package.

As to what I pick, if I had the funds I would definitely buy him an IWC, but as this is not really about buying a watch that is, or becomes, particularly valuable I will be able to cast my eye over many tempting delights!
King Seiko Chronometer
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

I ahve to say i have been meaning to do something like this for my son & daughter for the last couple of years....this has just given me a kick up the backside to get on and do it. I think the letter is a great idea and i will also borrow it and include one in my son & daughters 'packages'.

As for myself, i tend to just have a search every now and then under the year, and also just keep any eye open, and see what turns up. I have just purchased a lovely Revue Thommen in mint condition from 1970 (not quite as old as you Kip :opa: )...when it turns up i will post some pictures.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Omega are doing a 40th moon landing watch(1969 what a year) and nice 40th pressie.
Im starting saving now so i can get the 50th one for my own 50th
My Daughter is 18 this year and i am wondering how much to give her ? even if i had put only £50 a year away it would be £900. But i Didnt and i would find it hard to find that sort of money.Now i feel like a cheapskate.So i applaud you for planning ahead.
Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

I like both ideas, but would also wonder about whether the watch bought now will eventually ever be worn?

I base this on teaching lots of youngsters up thru to 16/17 year olds, and quite a few of them don't wear watches!!

I've got friends in their 20's who also don't wear watches, and just use their mobile to see what time it is :roll:

One teenage girl I teach actually announced to me the other week that 'watches are just so gay'!! :shock: which did make me laugh as she was doing a pretty good Harry Enfield 'Kev the teenager' impression whilst telling me!! :lol:

I've just been to see my stepson and get him a watch for his 16th, as his other one 'broke', and as he's just managed to break his new mobile too, I decided on something reasonably robust and relatively inexpensive, just in case, given his current track record!! :shock:

We had a day out looking, and he spotted a nice Tissot in a jewellers and decided he liked that one, but that was probably prompted by the fact I was wearing my Tissot, if you follow, but it was too dressy and good for this point in time, so we kept looking!!

I've told him that if the current watch survives and is looked after, I 'may' get him something a bit nicer later, and I know he's definately interested now :)

I've been trying to find one for my year birth, but the closest I have as an Omega Geneve from, you got it, 1969, so the looking goes on!!

Good luck with the search, and with whatever decision you make :)
John
wallbash
Senior
Senior

Post by wallbash »

wrist for 35 years! Must have been a beauty.

I posted my new W7 ( NOT a ladies watch ) for those macho guys with weedy wrists
Along side my brietling

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... a&start=15

So yes still say its a nice idea, but putting aside £50 a year for a 'wanted ' watch is better.
So , even though i love my W7 for a 18/21 it needs to be a mechanical watch :D

Perhaps by that time CW will be able to supply a suitable one................. of his choice!
Yoda
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Yoda »

Every decently made watch in the world is my birth watch. For me it is ruby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However a Swiss railway 'clock' is probable for my birth.
Indigo fugit

Yoda, bringing light to the dark side.
andyfry
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by andyfry »

Great Idea Dan.

Wish you every success in finding the right watches. But the 40th Anniversary Speedmaster sounds just perfect.

I consider myself lucky last year when my partner bought me a new Omega Seamaster 300m for my birthday on the day that we found out she was expecting our son. (Now 4 months old). I promised myself that in true Patek Phillipe tradition that I would pass this on to my son at the appropriate time. As for myself I found a beautiful stainless steel black faced Omega Constellation from the year of my birth a few years ago.

However, both of these lovely time pieces and all my others have lost wrist time to my C8 since it arrived in February.
Proud owner of a C8 - IPK "Black Hawk" (#90), a C5 - AKK (#747) - with black date wheel, a C40 - SKS (#281) and now a 2009 LE C20 (#62)
Dan
Senior
Senior

Post by Dan »

Thought you'd be interested to hear that my wife has read all the posts(?!) associated with this thread and we both agree that the ideas and suggestions posted have been thoughtful, inspired and very helpful with our plan and I look forward to letting you know how we get on. I've got to say I'm having difficulty narrowing down what to buy, so as I'm working today google will be taking a bit of a pounding!

As far as the 40th pressie goes unfortunately my friends wife's budget won't stretch to an anniversary Omega which is a shame but I have found a couple of 69 Seamasters she is considering.
andyfry wrote:I promised myself that in true Patek Phillipe tradition that I would pass this on to my son at the appropriate time
I too have said this as my son has been grabbing for my IWC (a little scary I'll admit!) If it survives his formative years this could be the answer to our plan.
King Seiko Chronometer
milan

Post by milan »

A number of suggestions, with reference to CW watches. Serial numbers to match the birth date, obviously limited scope here. A couple of websites joseph-watches.com (Spain) type in the year voila!!! watches.co.uk , contact them see what they can come up with, either year of manufacture, or serial number route.

Hey C-dubya!! when chronos with automatic movement?, mechanical ladies watches, tourbillon for £1K? come on, think Chinese!!!(prices, Swiss quality perleese!!!) not interested by upped prices for glitz, just engeneering content.

Ciao.