Big Date

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Big Date

Post by robinbarke »

I am the proud owner of a couple of Chris Ward's watches including the C8 which I really do rate. However I think the brand is let down by the tiny date orifice on all the examples which is out of all proportion to the bold faces. Please will you support me in persuading Chris to launch a big date watch and I promise to be the first to buy one. ETA do a variation to the 2824 in support of many of the leading Swiss houses, including Blancpain among others who offer big date watches and the great Glashoute names, A.Lange & Sohne and Glashoute Original feature Big Date in many of their watches. To me a watch should reveal the time instantly at a glance and so it should the date! Please Chris..........!
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Big Date

Post by downer »

I wouldn't mind seeing a big-date CW (although I do think the C8 date is well resolved). :)
Richard
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

Welcome robinbarke.

Some might say that if you want to know the date, buy a newspaper... but yes, a big-date watch wouldn't go amiss.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
noidea1960

Post by noidea1960 »

I certainly think a magnifier window would do the trick
Own C8 mkI; GP Series-Ascari; Tag F1 (circa 1990); Tag Heuer Series 6000; Tag Heuer S McQueen Blue Monaco;
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

Each to their own, and maybe I will think differently when I'm old and can't see (or I care a lot about the date) but I am no fan of comically oversized dates or cartoon dials. Keep it subtle and classy, thanks. 8)
Mind you, if demand is sufficient then who am I to question business sense?!
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

A year or two ago I would have scoffed at "big dates", but since I now have to hold a watch at arms length to read a day/date I have changed my attitude......bigger letters and numbers would help with out have to pull a face like a bulldog sucking a wasp when trying to confirm the date.

Maybe it's because watch makers are always looking at things through a magnifying glass they over look this.

Maybe they could design a brail watch for those of us that can't see too good now?
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Thanks everyone! It's not just the difficulty in seeing the small date but the size does seem out of all proportion to the minute/hour numerals in most designs. There are also a number of challenges to the watchmaker in designing a big date especially as when the date is in double figures each numeral has to move independently and there are many solutions to this. The A Lange & Sohne catalogue devotes two pages to solving the problem while ETA, which presumably Chris would use, have developed a twin disc approach which is simple, secure and probably inexpensive. Virtually all major manufactures have at least one big date in their list - wouldn't it be nice if we came into line!
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com