Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1406
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:20 pm
CW-watches: 6
Location: Somerset

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by suicidal_orange »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:11 amPerhaps a small group working in camera, with a “take it or leave it” final product, would be an interesting experiment?
It might, but it's possible to get a small group to agree on something that very few will buy. Perhaps better after a poll with a handful of vague options like "brightly coloured C60 40mm with contrast bezel", "Sunburst Sealander" and "classic dress watch"?
User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 31044
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

suicidal_orange wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:29 am It might, but it's possible to get a small group to agree on something that very few will buy.
I think for that reason it would be essential to assemble a group that represented a true cross-section of the forum (not just the admin team) and reflected/empathised with the current taste trends within the forum. That’s my escape clause right there! :lol:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Richard D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time


Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
User avatar
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 11968
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:43 pm
CW-watches: 14
Location: UK

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by nbg »

Now here’s a thing! :)

I have many watches. I bought them, because I like them.

And guess what?

I played no part whatsoever in the design of any of them. :lol:

Poll this, poll that…

Just doesn’t work.

Human nature is that people take umbrage that “their” suggestion(s) fall by the wayside. And no I am not talking about the choice being a dive watch and you actually want a dress watch, or vice versa.

I mean further down the track you are still in the game. You like the idea that a white dial, twisty bezel watch has been chosen. Yep that’s great, I think I will buy one.

Sorry what is that you say? An orange tipped second hand has been chosen? Nope, don’t like that. I wanted a plain second hand.

I am out. Not buying that! :silent:

Sound familiar?

Now if someone presented me with a white dial, twisty bezel watch, that on balance I liked, even though it had an orange tipped second hand…

I would likely buy it. Because no part of my subconscious thought process includes “they have ignored MY suggestion for a plain second hand, huff, I am not buying that. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 5):
Richard DBahnstormer_vRSsuicidal_orangejkbarnesChris375
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
User avatar
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3333
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:59 pm
CW-watches: 0

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by Richard D »

nbg wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:50 am Now here’s a thing! :)

I have many watches. I bought them, because I like them.

And guess what?

I played no part whatsoever in the design of any of them. :lol:

Poll this, poll that…

Just doesn’t work.
My thinking too.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
jkbarnes
Richard


The whole is other than the sum of the parts.
Kurt Koffka
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1687
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:59 pm
CW-watches: 4
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by sproughton »

The problem with offering up lots of options is that people get too attached to the 'perfect' one for them. If the final outcome is only a tiny bit different people won't buy because it wasn't 'their' choice.

Narrow down to a case style, then let a few people go ahead and design it. I think that's the only way it would work

Edit - literally what Neil has already said above :lol:
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post (total 2):
nbgasqwerth
User avatar
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Oregon

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by mvlow »

sproughton wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:55 am The problem with offering up lots of options is that people get too attached to the 'perfect' one for them. If the final outcome is only a tiny bit different people won't buy because it wasn't 'their' choice.

Narrow down to a case style, then let a few people go ahead and design it. I think that's the only way it would work

Edit - literally what Neil has already said above :lol:
I think between you, Neil, and a couple of others members, you have said more succinctly than I the general idea I was trying to put forth.

If you narrow down the watch by popular vote to model, case size, and maybe basic dial color, and then let a small team design the final product in secret, it has the best chance of success.

If you let the entire forum membership be involved in the minutiae of every design element and color, the project will probably die a death of a thousand cuts as it has in the past.

One other thought based on what others have said. It might be best for the admins to choose the team after the basic model is chosen by the membership. If you choose the team before they know what they will be working with, you might have less than enthusiastic members on the team. For example a team member that has an aversion to field watches and comes to find out that is what was chosen.
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post:
sproughton
Malcolm


CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
User avatar
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 6922
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by jkbarnes »

The appeal of a forum LE for me is not in having a bespoke watch, it would be in having a watch that was for us. That desire for a watch defined by its uniqueness to us would trump the specifics of some of the details. I’d be willing to pay a premium for that.

Here’s how I’d do it:

1. Start with a design committee. Those interested in being on the committee submit their names and a brief write up of why they want to be on it and what they’d bring to the table. The forum membership then votes on members for the committee. The committee’s charge is to design a coherent watch, not to simply to appeal to the widest audience.

2. Once a committee is assembled, a survey of the membership to settle upon a base model. Encourage only those who would seriously contemplate buying vote in the survey. And perhaps mandate the winning base model has to have an absolute majority. If nothing gets that, the process stops there.

3. Once a base model is settled upon, the committee surveys the membership to get an idea of what people are interested in - in broad brush strokes, I mean. No talk of specific details and features. I mean something along the lines of “something bold and against the grain in its colors,” “something we’ve not seen from CW,” “something timeless but with a detail unique to the forum,” or “something that revisits an aesthetic from CW’s past.” I was just riffing off the top of my head with those, but you get the idea. I envision something like that thread where CW solicited feedback on what we’d like to see in the next C60, only toned down.

4. Now the committee gets to work. Working with CW, and perhaps with some limited feedback from the forum (“what would people think of xxx?”), the committee produces maybe two or three designs that then go out to a vote - thumbs up or thumbs down.

Maybe reverse steps 2 & 3?
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
WileyECoyote
Drew

“Ricky, I'm going to miss you. Apparently you're the only one in Casablanca with less scruples than I.” ~ Capt. Renault

C65 Trident Vintage | C65 AMGT LE | C63 Sealander (36mm)

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
User avatar
WileyECoyote
Expert
Expert
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 pm
CW-watches: 10
Location: Downs, KS USA

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by WileyECoyote »

Here’s just a suggestion to any of my fellow forum members seriously considering the creation of a limited edition forum model. In looking back at past archives, I can see there have been seven forum limited editions made. I wasn’t a member then but I am sure that there are several of us that do remember the process. I don’t know how long that it took but apparently all of the LE’s sold out in time. I would suggest that those of you that are interested to read the threads from those limited editions to gain a better understanding of the process used & how the end result was accomplished. It’s impossible to create a single watch that everyone will want to buy. If it were, I am sure that CW would love to know the formula. I do think it is possible to design a special limited edition watch that enough of the forum members would want to make a run feasible. I did read the thread from the 2017 FLE & can see that one involved contributions from many members & special effort from people like Kip. All I am saying is it is possible to design a LE by collaborative effort because it has been done before. The C60 Trident Pro 300 is a good example of what the forum members can accomplish when they put their minds together.

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
jkbarnes
C60-Trident Bronze Ombre/Abyss/Blue Sapphire/Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander
C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 31044
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

sproughton wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:55 am The problem with offering up lots of options is that people get too attached to the 'perfect' one for them. If the final outcome is only a tiny bit different people won't buy because it wasn't 'their' choice.
But…

…to flip the thinking again, why should anyone be expected to buy something they’re not happy with? Never forget you have a choice.

I suspect there are people who would buy it whatever it was, simply because it was a FLE. I wouldn’t. I’m not prepared to splash several hundred or more on something that has “deal-breaker” features in my eyes.

It probably wouldn’t affect me at the minutiae stage, because if I got through the case and dial stages it would most likely be a miracle.

P.S. I’m playing Devil’s Advocate as usual.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time


Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
User avatar
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3359
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:47 am
CW-watches: 8

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by asqwerth »

WileyECoyote wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:56 pm ...... I don’t know how long that it took but apparently all of the LE’s sold out in time. ....
IIRC, some took a considerably long time, and I think at least one model didn't sell out until the last pieces were placed in one of CW's sales. CW were holding onto those unsold stock for (I think) longer than they would have wanted.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1687
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:59 pm
CW-watches: 4
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by sproughton »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:42 pm
But…

…to flip the thinking again, why should anyone be expected to buy something they’re not happy with? Never forget you have a choice.
They absolutely shouldn't. However, I often think people would be perfectly happy buying a watch that is close to what they want, unless an option was presented that happened to tick every one of their boxes but in the end didn't make the final cut.

I'll give an example: I love my Lucerne blue Sealander but wish that it either didn't have a date, or had a colour matched date wheel. Given the only option was to buy with a white date wheel, I was happy to compromise. However, imagine it was produced as an FLE rather than a standard model, and the final vote was between the actual released version and a no-date version of the exact same watch, and the white dialled date version won. I wouldn't be surprised if I decided against buying it because, in my irrational brain, I'd always be thinking it wasn't quite the one I wanted.

I think people are more likely to compromise when they aren't involved in the decision making process and aren't as invested emotionally.
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post:
nbg
exHowfener
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 926
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 6:26 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by exHowfener »

I've no interest in buying a FLE, so don't have a horse in this particular race.

However, having been involved in surveys/consultation before I'll offer these three suggestions:

1. Ask how many people are seriously interested in buying a FLE and what they are (roughly) prepared to spend
2. Ask those people what they DON'T want in such a model - this does help focus the decision making
3. Ignore the opinions of people like me who will not be purchasing the finished effort.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
User avatar
WileyECoyote
Expert
Expert
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 pm
CW-watches: 10
Location: Downs, KS USA

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by WileyECoyote »

I will say this. Christopher Ward does seem to be giving us plenty of choices with all of the new releases. So, maybe there really isn’t that much of a demand for limited edition watch dedicated for its members? If the company had some difficulty & it took time to sell past editions, that says a lot.
C60-Trident Bronze Ombre/Abyss/Blue Sapphire/Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander
C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post