Battery replacement? Ubi, Scooby?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 5

Battery replacement? Ubi, Scooby?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thee battery on my C70 Ascari COSC died a few days ago. Normally it would be off to some repair place in Norwich, but they're closed. CW service, likewise closed.

I don't really want to leave a dead battery in a nice watch for long, And I don't do case back removals and battery jobs.

Any suggestions, folks?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 25
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Battery replacement? Ubi, Scooby?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

https://davidcarpenterwatches.com/

I use them for all my 'other brands' batteries and service. Authorised repairers for Omega, TAG and others.

About £30 for a Quartz battery with pressure test, which is similar to CW price. Quick turnaround usually too.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 Apex| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier
C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 Al Deere| C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C40
C60 FLEx2| C60 Bronze GMT| C60 AbyssSH21-Apex-Blue-Chrono-Concept-Elite P'type |C65 AMGT 2VEV
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Are there any watchmakers working from home near to you that might be able to help?
Richard

You’ve got enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life. – Eminem
welshlad
CW-watches: 12

Post by welshlad »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:10 pm Thee battery on my C70 Ascari COSC died a few days ago.
Spookily, when I went to wear my C70 Ascari COSC today I also found the battery had died. I ordered a replacement one on Amazon, due on the weekend, and am planning to change it myself...if I stay brave enough! The watch won't get a pressure test going down this route, but that's not really a practical issue as it never goes near water.

However, if another good option emerges on this thread in the meantime then I'm happy to change my plans. :)
CWL C3 | C60 Ombre | C60 #tide | C63 Elite | C63 GMT | C65 Chrono | C65 SC | C65 SH21 | C70 | C8 | C8PR | C15
Omega Speedy | AT8500 | AT2500 | PO Ti Rolex Exp | Sub Zenith EP1969
Seiko 55 Fathoms Citizen Promaster Vratislavia S6 Luch 1Hand
Amor Vincit Omnia

I just took a look at Michlmayr's in Norwich and will call or message them tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas, chaps.
Steve

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Hey guys....if you are changing the battery yourself, cover the case back gasket with a thin coat of a non petroleum based grease. If will help to insure a better seal.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Bident »

Kip wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:55 pm Hey guys....if you are changing the battery yourself, cover the case back gasket with a thin coat of a non petroleum based grease. If will help to insure a better seal.
I use a silicone grease for the gasket. You can buy a type that comes in a circular container. Pop the gasket inside, screw the lid down gently, unscrew and the gasket will be sufficiently lubricated. Also handy for thicker spring bars in tight strap holes.

Sounds like AVO will not be doing this in any event. Steve, if you have any watch enthusiast friends nearby, perhaps they might have the experience and willingness to do this for you? If I were in your neck of the woods I would be happy to help you out. Alas, shipping costs and shipping times alone would make this a suboptimal solution for you (but happy to do this if you do want to pursue :thumbup:) .
Best regards,
John
Paul Drawmer
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by Paul Drawmer »

I have been doing my family's watch batteries for the last couple of years.
You won't believe just how tiny some of the battery clip retaining screws are! Get some proper screwdrivers, and tweezers. And a magnifier that you wear, pref with a built in light.

It isn't difficult, just requires care and patience.

I like to buy Renata batteries.
There's always time for one more.
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

Bident wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:54 am
I use a silicone grease for the gasket. You can buy a type that comes in a circular container. Pop the gasket inside, screw the lid down gently, unscrew and the gasket will be sufficiently lubricated. Also handy for thicker spring bars in tight strap holes.
Here is an example from Esslinger.
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 17 CW Tabs open at the moment!)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by Viognier »

Paul Drawmer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:46 am
Echo Paul's thoughts....ONLY use Renata batteries in our family's quartz watches!

Steve happy to offer up a Canadian option for the change if all else falls through
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by StrapMeister »

Paul Drawmer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:46 am I have been doing my family's watch batteries for the last couple of years.
You won't believe just how tiny some of the battery clip retaining screws are! Get some proper screwdrivers, and tweezers. And a magnifier that you wear, pref with a built in light.

It isn't difficult, just requires care and patience.

Absolutely agree :thumbup:
You must have the right tools and a magnifier/light - I have one of these https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9063134
Amor Vincit Omnia

All the helpful suggestions are appreciated. The original question, however, was not how to replace a battery but where to get one done during lockdown!
Steve

StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Also, I'd recommend anyone changing their own batteries to wear an anti-static wrist strap or similar protection.

Don't want to be zapping your lovely watches! Even if it doesn't kill your movement, it can significantly reduce the life of it.

edit - Sorry Steve, I know my post is useless in answer to your original question, but thought it may be important for those that do their own.
Ryan
Amor Vincit Omnia

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:21 pm Also, I'd recommend anyone changing their own batteries to wear an anti-static wrist strap or similar protection.

Don't want to be zapping your lovely watches! Even if it doesn't kill your movement, it can significantly reduce the life of it.

edit - Sorry Steve, I know my post is useless in answer to your original question, but thought it may be important for those that do their own.
Maybe a different thread then, Ryan?
Steve

exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

If I'm paying someone else to fit a battery, I find Timpson are quite good. The 'lifetime battery' option is useful. You can check on their website where is open.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left