Automatics - Keep 'em going or let 'em stop?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TrevorB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Automatics - Keep 'em going or let 'em stop?

Post by TrevorB »

Hi All,

I dare say this has been discussed before, but I'd like a bit of advice if possible please.

I've only recently aquired a couple of automatic watches and wondered whether, when I want to wear one of them for several days consecutively, is it best to let the other one stop, or wind it to keep it going? Or perhaps it doesn't matter which. I don't particularly want to pay out for a winding machine.

Hope this is not a daft question.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Trevor.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Automatics - Keep 'em going or let 'em stop?

Post by nathanclarinet »

Most people would say it is good to rotate autos as it means less servicing (based on what I have learnt on here). I certainly rotate mine and don't have a winder so they may rest for a week or so at a time.
Woodell
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Woodell »

nathanclarinet wrote:Most people would say it is good to rotate autos as it means less servicing (based on what I have learnt on here). I certainly rotate mine and don't have a winder so they may rest for a week or so at a time.
Heard the same here..........makes sense to me.
Maybe Kip will come along with more.....CALLING KIP.......COME IN KIP.
Wear: C-60 Trident......Xezo Tribune LE
Own but never wear: Adriatica "Pilot" - Baume & Mercier "Capeland" - Swiss Military Hanowa
"Railroad Chrono." - Sector "SK-8" - Movado - Elgin "Swiss"
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

The choice is yours and, as with most things, it's all about compromise.

Wearing an auto everyday keeps the oils lubricated but increases wear, so servicing will be required more often.

Wearing an auto once a month or so is probably enough to keep the oils moving (and prevents them stagnating or settling) and will lengthen service intervals. But you will have to set it each time you wear it.

Wearing an auto very infrequently could result in the oils setting and so a more major service will be needed.

I personally go for the middle option but this is partly because I have a load of watches and it helps preserve them but also because it lowers the "wear and tear" on the bracelet, case, etc. Keeps 'em pristine and looking good as well as reducing wear on the movement! Daily wear probably requires servicing every three to four years, whereas I feel comfortable with about twice that at six or so years (depending on how slow it gets!). Also, I enjoy setting the time daily on each watch I choose to wear.
TrevorB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by TrevorB »

Thanks for the advice so far guys. It's much appreciated.

I only have a couple of autos and a quartz so I wasn't thinking of leaving any of the autos unworn for more than about a week really. Sounds like it's fine for me to just let them stop when not being used then?

Cheers,

Trevor.
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

FWIW asked something similar when thinking about autowinders.

Currently redoing the storage and 4 watch autowinder on order.
So going to compromise. Have autowinder plugged into 24hr or weekly timer.
Plus rotate watches in the winder plus remind myself to wear one at least a few days a month.

Decisions, decisions....

Life was so much simpler with only one watch :)
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Sorry to jump in so late...was a tad busy with the chat and tying up some loose ends with the boss.

Without splitting hairs, what Mortis says is close enough. If you wear the same watch everyday, service in the 5 year range is ok unless subjected to punishing conditions. If you are rotating a few watches, a winder can be a nice convenience......an absolute necessity......not necessarily. If you have a few more than the average person, like I do, you can go through a ritual every month or 2 and wind them all to give them some exercise and keep the oils from getting stagnant.

I have winders enough for 12 watches and actually rotate the watches that are on the winders. I run them on the winders for about a week then switch them out. That to me is sufficient. I usually end up setting the watch I wear on any given day anyway so I really use the winders for exercising the movements.

Manual winds....not much you can do there but wind them...this, I admit, is a chore with a bunch of vintage and pocket watches in the collection.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

wear them as and when you want, it's a nice ritual setting and winding a watch after you haven't worn it for a while , like shaking hands to say hello! :lol:
As has been said just try to wear all of them once or twice every 4-6 wks or so
Woodell
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Woodell »

Or....Follow the new trend...Wear two watches.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or more... :D
Wear: C-60 Trident......Xezo Tribune LE
Own but never wear: Adriatica "Pilot" - Baume & Mercier "Capeland" - Swiss Military Hanowa
"Railroad Chrono." - Sector "SK-8" - Movado - Elgin "Swiss"
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thank you Gods and Gurus for answering the question I hadn't asked yet! :lol:

I'm hiking in Spain for 3+ weeks very soon (Camino de Santiago part 2!) and definitely didn't want to take my C8 or vintage Omega (dings and sweat-wrecked leather straps :( ), so I'll be taking a quartz jobbie from the "hardly wear" drawer! For the same reason the DBR1 (dispatched yesterday! :D :D :D ) will be staying in the box.
I was concerned, though, about how long it was safe to leave mechanicals without winding, but from what Mortis, Kip et al say they should be fine for a month!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
SillentWolf
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by SillentWolf »

At this time i have four automatics at home (and one on the way).

I bought myself a watchwinder for 3 watches. So 3 watches can be wind, every single day .. (if i dont wear them)
And one is on my wrist. The Seiko dont need winding from a winder, its a Premier Kinetic.
If you pick op the Seiko once a month, it still runs fine. It has a huge backup. So i dont worry about that one.

Pre-Order: Lum-Tec M52 Tungsten Tintage
http://www.facebook.com/SillentWolf