Auto manual wind noise

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Flef
Junior
Junior

Auto manual wind noise

Post by Flef »

I've had my c60 bronze ombre green cosc le for over a week now and I love it, the patina is already showing on the bezel. It's keeping very good time slightly better than the certificate.
So alls good, well not quite.
I manually wind all my watches when I get up, all of them are smooth and nigh on silent, except this watch, which sound like an old clockwork toy, not sure if the rotor is spinning when I wind it but it sounds like it.
Any thoughts would be good
Cheers
Phiil
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Auto manual wind noise

Post by StrapMeister »

Sounds like Spinning Rotor Syndrome general-discussion/spinning-rotor-syndr ... ml#p897836
These users thanked the author StrapMeister for the post:
tikkathree
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ If it’s SRS you will probably feel it as well as hear it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Flef
Junior
Junior

Post by Flef »

Just contacted cw and it's going back. Not the experience I wanted for my first cw. Thinking of getting a refund, as I don't really want a brand new watch that needs a repair.
Extra problem is 60 day refund isn't much use as if worn it won't be a full refund. Its already developed a patina on the bezel.
Strarting to regret this purchase.
Amor Vincit Omnia

It happens, but SRS is usually an easy fix. Your disappointment is palpable and understandable, but if you like the watch itself the warranty repair would be worth it.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Flef
Junior
Junior

Post by Flef »

It's not really a case of if I like it, it's I really don't want a 6 day old watch that needs to use its warranty.
Why wasn't this checked before shipping?
It would appear that QC is not what I expect for £1000 watch or for £100 one for that matter.
This was my birthday present and I am deeply disappointed l
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

I am prepared to be corrected on this; but I understand that this is a known problem with this movement. Not a common problem, but a known one. If the problem wasn't present when the watch was prepared for sale, then there's no way that the person preparing the watch for dispatch would have known that it was developing the problem.

The warranty won't be 'used up' with this repair. It's a pain, it's a nuisance, but it won't make the watch any different at all. Just get it fixed and in a short while, you'll be over it, and in years to come you will still enjoy your birthday present.
These users thanked the author Paul Drawmer for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
There's always time for one more.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Flef wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:59 am Just contacted cw and it's going back. Not the experience I wanted for my first cw. Thinking of getting a refund, as I don't really want a brand new watch that needs a repair.
Extra problem is 60 day refund isn't much use as if worn it won't be a full refund. Its already developed a patina on the bezel.
Strarting to regret this purchase.
Possibly a silly question, but have you actually asked them about this? Or the option of them just sending you a new one given it's still well within the 60 day returns period and you could have just done a refund request & buy a new one instead...
Flef
Junior
Junior

Post by Flef »

Paul Drawmer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:02 pm I am prepared to be corrected on this; but I understand that this is a known problem with this movement. Not a common problem, but a known one. If the problem wasn't present when the watch was prepared for sale, then there's no way that the person preparing the watch for dispatch would have known that it was developing the problem.

The warranty won't be 'used up' with this repair. It's a pain, it's a nuisance, but it won't make the watch any different at all. Just get it fixed and in a short while, you'll be over it, and in years to come you will still enjoy your birthday present.
I received the watch 6 days ago. It was ticking and time set correctly out of the box. I wore it for 2 days and put it in my watch box. This morning I hand wound it for the first time and noticed the problem. From that I assume the problem was there on dispatch or even after final QC assuming it had one.
If this is the overall quality it's poor, never mind if the warranty get used up!
Forgive me if I sound annoyed but your being patronising with regards to my displeasure.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Flef wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:02 pm It's not really a case of if I like it, it's I really don't want a 6 day old watch that needs to use its warranty.
Why wasn't this checked before shipping?
It would appear that QC is not what I expect for £1000 watch or for £100 one for that matter.
This was my birthday present and I am deeply disappointed l
I can understand your disappointment. Believe me. But it happens. There were many disappointed Tudor GMT owners who found out the date wasn't changing over correctly. That is a watch that costs 4x what a CW does. I'm only mentioning this to show that no brand is immune. Remember that you are also talking about something with many moving parts where a lot can go wrong. It is pretty amazing that they work for years on end at all!

The problem occurs because the reversing wheels aren't behaving properly. ETA and Sellita will tell you that, when winding, the watch should be held at a 30 degree angle when winding. I actually have a watch where the rotor will spin if I hold it horizontally but won't spin it when held at an angle while winding. This is technically within spec. It can happen when the reversing wheels are worn or over lubricated. I think it can also happen if the lubrication is not evenly distributed. I think this can happen if a movement sits for a while not running. I have seen anecdotes where the spinning rotor goes away. This indicates to me that once the lubrication distributes itself back out everything works again. In any case, CW will take the auto winding works off, clean and relubricate it and you will be good to go.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia

Flef wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:21 pm Forgive me if I sound annoyed but your being patronising with regards to my displeasure.
Actually, we are not. I think people are genuinely trying to help by pointing out to you that the situation is not irretrievable, and there will be a number of options in place for you. How you choose to react to that is up to you, but you should give our members credit for trying to help.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Paul Drawmer
Steve

Flef
Junior
Junior

Post by Flef »

Yes I understand, and apologies if I sound abrubt.
But this is like buying a new car albeit a mid priced one, and it breaks down on the way home, and being told don't panic you get free rac membership too fix it
Most folks would say, I don't think I've made a good choice here.
Flef
Junior
Junior

Post by Flef »

I won't try the 30deg test as when I wound it this morning it really didn't sound good. I am not expecting silky smooth like a silicon mainspring but it shouldn't sound rough.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Flef wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:00 pm I won't try the 30deg test as when I wound it this morning it really didn't sound good. I am not expecting silky smooth like a silicon mainspring but it shouldn't sound rough.
I think almost all mainsprings are steel. The hairspring/balance spring on high end watches are silicon. Those don't effect winding. There is a whole train of gears between the crown and the ratchet wheel (which winds the mainspring). I don't think you really feel it. The silky feel comes from the fine machining in the train. I have several ETA/Sellitas that are buttery smooth and some that aren't as smooth.

It sounds to me like the rotor is grinding on the inside of the case back when you wind it (so there are actually two issues going on - the spinning rotor when you wind it and the rotor grinding on the case). Something could have come loose during shipping. If something did come loose it should scrape when you spin the rotor shaking the watch too.

Either way a gentle wind at an angle shouldn't hurt anything as long as there is no resistance in the crown. If you feel resistance there you should stop.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

It's not really a case of if I like it, it's I really don't want a 6 day old watch that needs to use its warranty
I can understand how you feel. £1000 is a lot of money and as you say, if you are unhappy with a purchase then whatever you spent is too much. You are able to return the watch for either a repair within a reasonable time (which you don't seem to want, fair comment) or to reject the watch and be refunded. You need to move quickly, so personally I would contact CW without delay. It's worth reminding you that while the 60:60 warranty is great, you also have the protection of the Consumer Rights Act https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/20 ... ts/enacted
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left