Are people warming?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Are people warming?

Post by strapline »

Yep, that's the question I'm posing, and it relates entirely to the new Aquitaine releases. So, what are the views now that the dust has settled a little? It seemed that much of the initial discussion focussed on the complete omission of the wording Christopher Ward from the dial. In many ways this seemed to outshine all of the other enhancements that the new range offered. You've probably revisited a version or a couple of versions from the range on numerous occasions now; are you finding that a model has ignited the touch paper, perhaps altered initial reservations?

let's hear some current thinking! It'll be interesting to see where people lie now.

Des
Tested in five positions with no back play whatsoever.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Are people warming?

Post by golfjunky »

Still Meh.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
angusbon
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Bretling Aerospace Evo, Vinatge Azur, Vintage dressy Seiko & SBGX059
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Whilst, give or take a fraction or two of a millimetre, the Aquitaine is the same size as the outgoing C65 Trident Diver range, with the change of the dial / bezel ratio, I feel that it will wear smaller than the model its replaced.

This, for me, is not a good thing as the outgoing model was already small enough. :-k :-k

Additionally, with all models, at launch, being slated for pre-order I felt there was no rush to get one bought.

In the meantime, any funds I had set aside have been used to buy something else. :problem: :problem:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

To see the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour - William Blake

Sundial
gannet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Nope, my main issue was the box crystal and subsequent distortion, only confirmed by recent on wrist shots by a member here.

That's just me though. No issue at all with the switch to logo only.
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

Of the many changes/updates introduced I think the least mentioned is the redesigned hands.

Strangely, it is one of the aspects I seem to like the most. The change from three-faceted to just polished and curved, seem to improve the perception of the hand width in many situations. And the redesigned minutes hand now seem to pair better with the hours hand, IMO. I never quite loved the MKIII hands because they look kinda non-matched to me.

The issue with the logo is, well, understandable. I would not be surprised if they want to distance themselves from the name of the one founder that's no longer in the company. I like the Swish design, but I find it a bit too big for that dial.

I like the overall design, but not quite enough to get one quite yet. Maybe when a full black or white/black version is introduced I may reconsider.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No amount of re-examination will alter the fact that it’s a dive watch. So it’s a no from the Dibley jury. I shall await further and hopefully more apposite developments.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Still looks quite Kickstarter-esque to me. Fairly generic visually though I'm sure it's a higher quality than that.
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post:
albionphoto
Soporsche
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Soporsche »

Its a nice enough watch and can see why it will appeal to many but not to me. Bit too generic and not very exciting compared to other offers out there. Needs a bit of pop/x factor/fizz and it doesn't have it, oh and its a bit small.
All the above is totally personal and subjective.
I recognise the quality vs price point is very good.
Logo, wording etc doesn't bother me at all.
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
albionphoto
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I'm warming only to the notion that there'll be another new model along sometime.
C60 MKI COSC black MKI GMT x4
C60 MKII Day Date LE GMT White LE SH21 x2 ACAN Bronze Ombre LE
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC Elite 1000 GMT Concept Wave
C6 K'fisher x6,
C60 K'fisher x3
C600 Tritech x 3,
C63 Elite, Seal GMT
C65 Anthro. Blue h/w
NationOfLaws
Senior
Senior

Post by NationOfLaws »

For what it’s worth as someone new to the brand - the Aquitaine is the first CW watch I saw and I loved it immediately. I really liked the logo and was a little disappointed to see that the lineup hadn’t adopted it more broadly since there are some other great pieces that have either both logos (overkill) or the older wordmarks that I find (personal opinion) to be a little weird or bland relative to the pieces they sit on.

So again, I’m new here and maybe that’s not the perspective you’re looking for. But it’s true that I wouldn’t be here without the Aquitaine and given the hype I’ve seen for them from YouTube reviewers, I don’t think I’m the only one who will be buying an Aquitaine as their first CW.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 2):
David. Salbionphoto
- Jameson

CW Aquitaine (Marine Blue), CW Atoll, CW Sealander (White & Sapphire LE), 1963 Omega Seamaster, 1997 Tudor Submariner, Benrus B01, Oris Artelier Chronometer, Monta Atlas
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13

Post by nbg »

My views are the same now as when I first saw the watches during the preview event.

Des what are your current views?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by ajax87 »

NationOfLaws wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:26 pm I really liked the logo and was a little disappointed to see that the lineup hadn’t adopted it more broadly since there are some other great pieces that have either both logos (overkill)…

So again, I’m new here and maybe that’s not the perspective you’re looking for. But it’s true that I wouldn’t be here without the Aquitaine…
Number 1, Your perspective matters whatever it is and CW should take note, since it brought someone new to the brand :thumbup:

Number 2, I find your comment interesting about both logos being overkill. I’m assuming you mean both the swish logo and the word mark, correct? In which case, that’s the way it is on a nearly all watches of brands that have a logo. JLC, VC, AP, Rolex, Omega, Bremont include both logo and word mark. The list goes on and on.

My own perspective hasn’t changed. I like the overall design and initial colorways, but can’t yet get past the feeling that the swish-only makes it look bare and unfinished. I’m still giving it time to settle in and hope to get over it if this is what CW sticks with, because I still like the watches and they still represent good VFM.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss, GMT|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor & Fortitude
NationOfLaws
Senior
Senior

Post by NationOfLaws »

Fair points. I wasn’t a fan of the typography of the wordmark in general, and the wordmark plus the logo was slightly different from those brands you mentioned because the models I saw with both had the wordmark at 9 (which I don’t like from any brand) and the logo at 12. It just didn’t look right to me. I get that people like it and I understand why longtime (or even new) fans might have an allergic reaction to the change.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
ajax87
- Jameson

CW Aquitaine (Marine Blue), CW Atoll, CW Sealander (White & Sapphire LE), 1963 Omega Seamaster, 1997 Tudor Submariner, Benrus B01, Oris Artelier Chronometer, Monta Atlas
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

nbg wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:30 pm My views are the same now as when I first saw the watches during the preview event.

Des what are your current views?

Neil
They seem to be quite growing on me, Neil. My eye is getting used to no CW wordmark on the dial; I really think I like it on the C65 Super Compressor, it works very well there. The bronze COSC Aquitaine seems really appealing; I think a bit of patination, along with a bit of aging to the brown leather strap would look superb. Never had a watch with a box sapphire crystal, but I like the idea. The hands are an improvement for me too, not sure that I like the hands extending beyond their post. Overall it’s a good size, similar to a BB58 I think. I look forward to seeing some real world photos on the forum.

Des
Tested in five positions with no back play whatsoever.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by StrappedUp »

The Aquitaine range itself looks ok and I prefer the bezel:dial ratio over the C65 diver, but I'm far from a fan of 'device' only, even in its applied form (C7 range). For me it screams microbrand and that kills this model for me.
Nothing to do with letting people know what I'm wearing, just that I personally like to see a name and logo on a dial, unless name=logo. And preferably applied.
For me, it just works better aesthetically.

I won't be getting hung up on it though. Plenty of others will buy, CW will (hopefully) continue to be successful and I'll find something to my liking elsewhere.
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post:
ajax87
Ryan