Aquitaine Bronze Patina

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
MichaelMD
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Aquitaine Bronze Patina

Post by MichaelMD »

Just watched this video of this TWO WEEK old CW bronze blue dial Aquitaine. Am I the only one who thinks this is an awful lot of patina after two weeks? Something about the alloy CW uses just doesn't seem to age gracefully. Maybe they need to add more aluminum like Tudor does. I've seen some CW models with prominent green patches as well. I'm all for bronze patina but this video gives me pause. Wondering how this will look six months down the road if it's like this already?

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Aquitaine Bronze Patina

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s interesting. My reservation with any bronze watch has been the unknown nature of the patination. I think this color combo, the bronze with this rich blue, is just stunning, but those pics don’t look all that appealing. I wonder if this patination after just two weeks has been forced?

On a related note, if I were one to frequent the Aegean and eastern Med for vacation with any frequency, this is the watch I’d want in my wrist. Bronze and that rich blue just scream Aegean Sea to me!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaJasperCat
Andrew
“Everything’s better when you feel guilty.” ~ Anthony Bourdain

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AMGT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I wonder if this pagination after just two weeks has been forced?
The patina looks forced to me, it seems too even to be otherwise. I have a bronze watch and some bits (between the lugs) are green from exposure to salt water, others are quite shiny where they get rubbed by clothing and handling.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
panamavin
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by panamavin »

The patina does seem to be more pronounced but the thing that kills me is the mismatch of the colors - they use cream colored indices and date wheel with stark white twin flag logo and text. My OCD brain could perhaps get over the bronze but not that!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:43 pm On a related note, if I were one to frequent the Aegean and eastern Med for vacation with any frequency, this is the watch I’d want in my wrist. Bronze and that rich blue just scream Aegean Sea to me!
Well as you know, Andrew the Ionian/Aegean/Eastern Med/Levant is very much my stamping ground, and I can assure you that one of those would not get within a country mile of my wrist! The bronze can stay on statues, figurines and Olympic medals. 8)
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesgolfjunky
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:53 pm Well as you know, Andrew the Ionian/Aegean/Eastern Med/Levant is very much my stamping ground, and I can assure you that one of those would not get within a country mile of my wrist! The bronze can stay on statues, figurines and Olympic medals. 8)
I was thinking of you as I wrote that! And I chuckled to myself for exactly what you expressed. :lol:
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Andrew
“Everything’s better when you feel guilty.” ~ Anthony Bourdain

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AMGT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ You’re a bad man! :lol:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

If the Aquitaine uses the same bronze alloy as the C60, then this is definitely a forced patina. My C60 took 3+ months before any real patina developed, and after 2 years I don't know if it has as much patina as this Aquitaine.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post:
jkbarnes
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

Please take into account the individuals skin chemistry & sweat; some people have quite acidic sweat.

We all don't have the same skin chemistry so results will vary let alone the make up of the bronze which I presume will vary slightly from batch to batch.

My bronze watches, all but one from CWL, developed patina differently.
Bulova Accutron Gemini, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, C60 Elite 1000 GMT, C60 Chrono, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C60 Trident Bronze Ombré COSC LE Edition and others....