April 4th, 2022 - Price Increase reference

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

April 4th, 2022 - Price Increase reference

Post by mvlow »

I thought it might be an idea to document the price increase that takes place tomorrow, so that it can be a reference for anyone curious in the future. To that end, I took a few screenshots today to show the pre-increase price. I just selected a representative sample as opposed to taking screenshots of all CW watches on the website. If anyone wants to add screenshots of specific watches that are not included, feel free to add them in the comments.

Kip, if you feel this thread is unnecessary because the increase will be recorded elsewhere on the site, please feel free to delete the thread.

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 8.34.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 8.35.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 8.35.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 8.36.04 AM.png
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post (total 8):
Bahnstormer_vRSnbgJkpaMikkei4JasperCatMiniMpirichtelthomcat00
Malcolm

Either he’s dead or my watch has stopped – Groucho Marx

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: April 4th, 2022 - Price Increase reference

Post by mvlow »

I realized after I made the original post that all the prices were in US dollars as I use the USA site. I edited the original post to show Pounds Sterling as most of the members of the forum are from the UK. I have included the screenshots with US dollars in this comment for those interested.

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 7.35.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 7.36.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 7.37.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 7.37.30 AM.png
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Malcolm

Either he’s dead or my watch has stopped – Groucho Marx

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Timishere
Senior
Senior

Post by Timishere »

Very helpful. Thank you
These users thanked the author Timishere for the post:
mvlow
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Malcolm; thank you; sterling work. :clap: :clap:

No doubt a useful reference point for the new prices. :thumbup: :thumbup:

To mention that, once the new prices have been published by CW, The Admin Team will work to update the Pricing Information within the CWArchive for all models affected.

Of course the CWArchive information is only the 'Original' and 'Last' price over the life of a given model, and does not reflect any individual price changes during that period i.e. there were a selection of current models that were reduced at one point that may now, tomorrow, be subject to an increase; these individual adjustments won't be seen within the Original and Last range.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
mvlowthomcat00
To see the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour - William Blake

Sundial
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by JasperCat »

Nice work and a useful reference :clap:

Bizarrely, whilst almost everything has now had a price increase, some of the straps have gone down in price... I bought the 20mm Black Peccary on Friday and it was then £60... it's now £55. However, the gunmetal bracelet I bought last week, which was £175 is now £200 :lol:
These users thanked the author JasperCat for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSmvlowthomcat00
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Concept, Elite GMT 1000, CWE Chronometer, Trident Pro 600 (gunmetal prototype)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Powerglow, Grand Malvern 5 Day
Moro
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Moro »

In GBP the increase is lesser than in EUR. My Dartmouth(on bracelet) costs 1170 EUR, now it's 1285. Trident Pro 600(on bracelet) was 1070, now it's 1185. The Green Sealander(on bracelet) was 870, now it's 985... Almost every watch i had eye on is 115 EUR more. Hope i will get a Sandhurst for 1k or even less during a sale. This is the other CW watch i really want to own, but more than 1000 EUR is too much at least for me. :(
C65 Dartmouth

„Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you.“
thomcat00
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by thomcat00 »

Thanks for tracking the impact of the price change. I find it interesting the increase is not consistent across currencies. I generally don’t play the exchange game but I’m sure there is an angle in the arbitrage game.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
wookiechew23
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by wookiechew23 »

Thank you for documenting all this! I'm in the US, so it looks like the prices are up around $100 for each of the pieces. More than reasonable, given how long the prices have been the same, and the rising cost of everything around the world.
These users thanked the author wookiechew23 for the post:
David. S
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

Some quick looking around shows between 7 and 8% on most items. For us in the US anyway.
"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat and the sea."
Isak Dinesen

Current CW = C65 Trident GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor
WileyECoyote
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Post by WileyECoyote »

Thanks for posting a price reference for us. I will add one statement concerning the price increases. I understand that Christopher Ward needed to do this as their costs are rising along with everything else. I want them to remain financially viable & continue to design quality watches. Compared to most of the luxury watch industry, their watches remain attainable. I will note one possible unexpected consequence though for their United States market. The price increase may push the amount paid past the import duty threshold resulting in another $80 - $100 charge to the buyer. Personally, I know that I bought a couple of nice watches on the January sale in which any increase would have triggered the import duty & extra charge. While they were a good deal, not as much if that had been the case. I know that the UK forum members are paying their share of taxes. But, one must remember the American customers pay more in shipping if a return is needed. So, I see the two things equaling out in time. Just thought that I would mention a possible consequence of the price increase but not in a negative manner.

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
mvlow
C60 Trident Bronze Ombre/C60 Blue Sapphire/C65 AM GT LE/C60 Trident Pro 600/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C63 GMT Sealander/C60 Abyss/C65 Super Compressor
Bahnstormer_vRS

WileyECoyote wrote: . . . . .

But, one must remember the American customers pay more in shipping if a return is needed. So, I see the two things equaling out in time.

. . ....
Except these days CW arrange collection by DHL for returns. i.e. no cost to you.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 4):
mvlowRobotazrc51owneraudio.bill

Sundial
WileyECoyote
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Post by WileyECoyote »

I have never returned a watch to Christopher Ward as all of them have suited me. I just assumed it would be the customer's responsibility to pay the return shipping? I did return a bracelet that was incorrectly shipped to me. The Christopher Ward representative was very helpful in getting the issue sorted out & the company did pay for the return cost. DHL doesn't deliver to my region, so I had to arrange the shipping by USPS. None of their options were cheap but I did my best to keep the price down as I didn't want to run the cost up on CW. I would assume that the customer pays for the shipping to the UK for service work. Correct? Anyway, I was just saying that the price increase may be the difference for U.S. customers on paying or not paying import fees.

Delmar
C60 Trident Bronze Ombre/C60 Blue Sapphire/C65 AM GT LE/C60 Trident Pro 600/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C63 GMT Sealander/C60 Abyss/C65 Super Compressor
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ Points accepted Delmar. Thank you.

Whilst I have no direct experience on shipping costs for Repairs / Service from & to overseas, on the basis that CW cover the cost both ways here in UK, I'd assume the same for Overseas i.e. USA.

Guy

Sundial
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@WileyECoyote
It probably is time CW (and others) seriously consider the option of selling watches without straps or bracelets. I'm sure many of us have straps already. That would probably keep the watch price under your tax threshold. They would also need to consider how they pack strapless watches, and deal with subsequent carriage of bare bracelets.

Keeping below $800 will make a lot of difference I think.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Modest increases. Had they just raised the prices few would’ve even noticed. I am surprised the increases weren’t 20%.