scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Am I being offered a fair deal here?

Post by scooter »

On 29th December I purchased a fabulous C80 Sector for £175 which arriving on 5th Jan was returned on the 6th with a faulty crown. I received a replacement on 8th January. Now in anybody's book that is fantastic service.

Also on 29th December I was lucky enough to get in quick and purchased a brown leather strap for C5 Malvern for £5!!!! Whilst I received my order number on the same day 100017**2 I heard nothing further. I sent an email on 4th Jan for an update, heard nothing and sent another courteous request on Thursday 7th.

Today I received the following from Tom:

"Apologies for the late reply to your email. Unfortunately, we were expecting a shipment of the C5 sale straps from our suppliers in Switzerland last week and received a shipment of the C3 straps in error.

This means that we will be unable to fulfil the order you have previously placed. We would be happy to offer the new C5 strap at half price (£15.00) as a way to ensure that you get the strap you need.

Please let me know if this is an option you would be happy to explore.

Many thanks,"

I'm not going to comment further on this thread myself as I do love the whole CW experience, but something seems wrong here.

Can I ask for your views on this. Do you thinkthat I and am being offered a fair deal ?

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Matvei
Senior
Senior

Re: Am I being offered a fair deal here?

Post by Matvei »

I don't understand why it's not 5 pounds, like the original transaction. Seems it should be.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Matvei wrote:I don't understand why it's not 5 pounds, like the original transaction. Seems it should be.
Good question.
scooter wrote:We would be happy to offer the new C5 strap at half price (£15.00)
scooter wrote:we were expecting a shipment of the C5 sale straps from our suppliers in Switzerland
I would ask what is the difference between a "sale C5 strap" and "the new C5 strap"? If they are the same then they should offer you it at £5.

The sale was for a C5 strap at £5. Therefore you are entitled to it at that price. The way I se it the options are
Hold out for a C5 strap at £5 as originally ordered.
Accept the offer and pay an extra £10 but still get a good deal on the strap. But that type of tactic is used by unscrupulous firms and is called "bait and switch".
Ask for a C3 strap at £5 as those have been delivered (and if you don't have a C3 buy one or sell the strap for a bit of a profit)
Cancel and get your money back.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

No in short.

You bought the C5 strap for a £5...can't see any reason why you should have to pay £15.
Stick to your guns.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
downer

Post by downer »

One possibility is that the 'sale c5' straps are old stock - maybe the previous style? If this was the case, CWL may have got a good deal from their supplier, hence why they can flog 'em for a fiver.

The key is (as Ian said), to ask what is the difference between the sale c5 strap and the regular one...

Myself, I'm waiting to see the bargain C3 straps on the CWL website. 8)
Richard
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

ianblyth wrote: I would ask what is the difference between a "sale C5 strap" and "the new C5 strap"? If they are the same then they should offer you it at £5.
This is a very interesting question.
Hopefully just clearance stock and a new batch.

[edit] beaten to it again [edit ends]
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
The Raffles
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by The Raffles »

Scooter, One would assume that because you received and order number (which I assume was followed by the usual e-copy of the order) for both watch and strap, the very nature of the document(s) is a contract to supply the goods for the price stated on the order (and for the amount taken from your credit card), I don't think you can be expected to pay more for something that has already been agreed between the two of you.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

village wrote:No in short.

You bought the C5 strap for a £5...can't see any reason why you should have to pay £15.
Stick to your guns.
+1 on this. Can't understand their position at all. Sales are usually to clear existing overstock. If they are buying in for a sale that's okay but you can't shift the goalposts half way through. This shouldn't make a difference to customer service which should be able to handle stuff like this, but i'd run it straight to Wera if you haven't already.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

Nice to see Christopher Ward so blatantly breaking the law.

It is, in fact, entirely illegal for them to do this. If they have them in stock they are obliged to sell them to you at a fiver. Threaten them with Trading Standards.

Your order is a contract. They must fulfil it. The Sale of Goods Act is quite clear (although mere acknowledgement of an order is different from an actual sale of goods contract).
Also, offering you the product at a different price, or an alternative product, having advertised the C5 strap at a low price, might be construed as a criminal offence by the Advertising Standards Authority. You might want to mention this to CWL if you get no joy with an initial, polite, response asking them to fulfil the order as made.

Edited to add that a lot of retailers include clauses along the lines of "errors in pricing are not binding" or "prices confirmed at time of dispatch", which is fine, but I don't think CWL do any of this so they will have to honour the price. I also trust that a polite reply, probably to Wera, will ensure that they do so (not that this should ever have happened).
highway62

Post by highway62 »

there seems to be some weeeiiirrddd stuff going on at CW right now... :?
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Am I being offered a fair deal here?

Post by DSHall »

Tyke wrote:
village wrote:No in short.

Stick to your guns.
+1 on this. Can't understand their position at all. Sales are usually to clear existing overstock. If they are buying in for a sale that's okay but you can't shift the goalposts half way through. This shouldn't make a difference to customer service which should be able to handle stuff like this, but i'd run it straight to Wera if you haven't already.
Agree 100%. Just not on.
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

I'd have to agree with the above....... UNLESS somewhere in the original description of the £5 straps, it said they were either old stock, old style etc etc??

If it literally just says C5 strap, then tell them you'll gladly except one of the one's coming in, and nothing else!!
John
downer

Post by downer »

Mortis wrote:Nice to see Christopher Ward so blatantly breaking the law.

It is, in fact, entirely illegal for them to do this. If they have them in stock they are obliged to sell them to you at a fiver. Threaten them with Trading Standards.
If it is the same strap....

There are (were) two iterations of the strap. Was the sale for the old version or the current version?

If they were selling the old strap cheap and they don't have any, they cannon fulfil the order.

In this case, they are simply offering the new strap at a reduced price as a gesture of goodwill.
Richard
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

In that case, downer, you are correct.
But I suspect that the email of "we expected some new C5 straps to fulfil this order" scuppers that get-out clause! :lol:
downer

Post by downer »

Mortis wrote:In that case, downer, you are correct.
But I suspect that the email of "we expected some new C5 straps to fulfil this order" scuppers that get-out clause! :lol:
Nah. "new" means new stock of the old strap. :)

Truth is, none of us know. 8)
Richard