Altus strap problems

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mintsalad
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Re: Altus strap problems

Post by Mintsalad »

JAG wrote:No supplier to my knowledge supplies a warranty on straps It's the same as warranty on a tyre wear and tear can't be covered
I don't agree. Sale of goods act... goods must be fit for purpose. The purpose of a strap is to be worn, perhaps once a year, perhaps everyday. All manufacturers give a warranty covering problems with manufacture, which this problem most definitely is. The keeper just isn't strong enough - not all keepers - but this one in particular. If the tyre was faulty after 4 months you'd wan't a replacement wouldn't you? I'm sure CW will see me good though, customer service has been great so far.
Mintsalad
Senior
Senior

Post by Mintsalad »

Russ-Shettle wrote:If you look at most of your straps loose keepers, it might have one or two at the most stiches holding it together. You can always improve on inadequate stiching. Summon your wives..... :lol:
No, No it's the fixed one that has snapped, just at the place it disappears into the strap.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Mintsalad wrote: I don't agree. Sale of goods act... goods must be fit for purpose. The purpose of a strap is to be worn, perhaps once a year, perhaps everyday. All manufacturers give a warranty covering problems with manufacture, which this problem most definitely is. The keeper just isn't strong enough - not all keepers - but this one in particular. If the tyre was faulty after 4 months you'd wan't a replacement wouldn't you? I'm sure CW will see me good though, customer service has been great so far.
Sorry, but your first post indicates that you have not used the strap as it was intended to be used, and therefore, it does not prove the goods are not fit for purpose.
Mintsalad wrote:Anyone else had the fixed 'keeper' come away from the strap? My problem is that the loose keeper never stays holding the end of the strap so it flaps, and now has broken the fixed one. Not great for 4 months old. Wera has not offered a replacement strap yet but a new loose keeper which is pointless. Looking at the site, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee or warranty for the straps which is odd.. am I missing something? Nice watch apart for that though.
If you have allowed the strap to flap about, you can hardly be surprised that the fixed keeper has broken.

It is your own fault.

I would not be surprised to see CW replace it as a gesture of goodwill, but they are surely not obligated to do anything.
Richard
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

So, if I'm understanding correctly, the loose keeper moves and fails to keep the strap from 'flapping about', to the point where that movement has broken the fixed keeper at the point where it goes into the strap?

To me, it does sound as if the loose keeper isn't tight enough to stay where you need it to on the strap, which has probably contributed to the premature wear of the fixed keeper.

Many people who have commented on the thread have a lot of watches, so don't put their straps through a lot of wear. If like me they also have predominately desk based jobs, then it's not surprising their straps song wear much!

The CW straps I've ha have been very goo quality, so I can only assume that the strap you've got may have a fault at the fixed keeper side.

As others have said, I'm sure CW will sort it. I'll refrain from commenting on how you're wearing it, as I don't have you under 24 hour surveillance! :)
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
Mintsalad
Senior
Senior

Post by Mintsalad »

downer wrote:
Mintsalad wrote: I don't agree. Sale of goods act... goods must be fit for purpose. The purpose of a strap is to be worn, perhaps once a year, perhaps everyday. All manufacturers give a warranty covering problems with manufacture, which this problem most definitely is. The keeper just isn't strong enough - not all keepers - but this one in particular. If the tyre was faulty after 4 months you'd wan't a replacement wouldn't you? I'm sure CW will see me good though, customer service has been great so far.
Sorry, but your first post indicates that you have not used the strap as it was intended to be used, and therefore, it does not prove the goods are not fit for purpose.
Mintsalad wrote:Anyone else had the fixed 'keeper' come away from the strap? My problem is that the loose keeper never stays holding the end of the strap so it flaps, and now has broken the fixed one. Not great for 4 months old. Wera has not offered a replacement strap yet but a new loose keeper which is pointless. Looking at the site, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee or warranty for the straps which is odd.. am I missing something? Nice watch apart for that though.
You need to get out more

If you have allowed the strap to flap about, you can hardly be surprised that the fixed keeper has broken.

It is your own fault.

I would not be surprised to see CW replace it as a gesture of goodwill, but they are surely not obligated to do anything.
Mintsalad
Senior
Senior

Post by Mintsalad »

Tooks wrote:So, if I'm understanding correctly, the loose keeper moves and fails to keep the strap from 'flapping about', to the point where that movement has broken the fixed keeper at the point where it goes into the strap?

To me, it does sound as if the loose keeper isn't tight enough to stay where you need it to on the strap, which has probably contributed to the premature wear of the fixed keeper.

Many people who have commented on the thread have a lot of watches, so don't put their straps through a lot of wear. If like me they also have predominately desk based jobs, then it's not surprising their straps song wear much!

The CW straps I've ha have been very goo quality, so I can only assume that the strap you've got may have a fault at the fixed keeper side.

As others have said, I'm sure CW will sort it. I'll refrain from commenting on how you're wearing it, as I don't have you under 24 hour surveillance! :)
I wear the watch 24 hours apart from certain activities!!! Anyway Wera has popped a new strap in the post confirming my belief in excellent customer service and goodwill.
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by f1colin »

Saint Wera to the rescue... the thread sounded like "Watchdog" for a while!
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

Poor ol' mintsalad.

He's not doing well on here.

He got hounded about his PR stuff before and now we're all laying into him about his strap.

I for one think it's nice he bought a watch and likes it. And I also agree that this is a Sale of Goods Act issue - if the keeper broke within four months under reasonable use then it isn't fit for purpose and he is (legally) entitled to a replacement / refund. In this case there was probably a minor defect - as others have said, my experience of many CWL straps is that they are good quality.

All that said, there was never any doubt CWL would see him through.

Some people just like to moan and grumble, I guess. Can't you all be more positive like me?