All COSC Movements Are Not Created Equal (One of mine sulks…)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

All COSC Movements Are Not Created Equal (One of mine sulks…)

Post by Jcalder68 »

Since having a bit of a thin-out of the collection over the year, aside from a quartz C60 300 38mm, all my CW watches are now COSC certified. It’s not just the accuracy that I appreciate, it is the consistency and reliability of this consistency that makes the additional price so well worth it for me.

However, not all mine are equal. Sure, each is happily well within COSC variation limits; some gain a couple of seconds a day, others lose a second or two. What gets me though is how my C60 1000 Elite “sulks” when I use other watches…

If I wear it consistently, day after day, week in and week out, then it is often accurate to just a couple of seconds a week. Actually, I have an old Casio digital that does not keep time as well. However, if I leave it on my bedside table for a day while I wear another, it will lose roughly 6sec during the next day I wear it. No issues when it is left, it just loses when I use it again! Even worse, if I put it in my winder and pop it on the wrist a day or few later, it will have kept near perfect time in the winder, but then loses roughly 8sec over the next day I get to wear it. Thankfully, within 24hr, it’s timekeeping “sulk” has ended and it is back to its usual, reliable and consistent self.

Anyone else got a temperamental watch? Perhaps a green bezelled C60 that sits in the corner and is called The Incredible Sulk?

Keep well,
C
These users thanked the author Jcalder68 for the post (total 3):
David. StikkathreeJasperCat
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
David. S
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: All COSC Movements Are Not Created Equal (One of mine sulks…)

Post by David. S »

It sounds like your elite wants more attention...my dog is the same, if I ignore him for to long he plays up until he has my full attention..
But seriously, I have 3 cosc certified CW's, including the c60 elite and haven't noticed any of them misbehaving, like you I really appreciate the consistency and accuracy of these movements and have put the cosc certificate at the top of my criteria checklist when purchasing. Saying that I'm pretty sure my next watch will be the c65 chronograph, non cosc, but seriously gorgeous.

David.
These users thanked the author David. S for the post (total 2):
Jcalder68JasperCat
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

Subscribed...
These users thanked the author Deks for the post:
Jcalder68
Robotaz
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

That movement has an issue. Let me guess. Sellita?

That’s not normal even for a terrible movement.

It sounds like there’s something going on with the mainspring and it’s gear train connecting to the escapement or something.
These users thanked the author Robotaz for the post:
Jcalder68
iain
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

While that variation wouldn’t bother me it does sound a little strange. Also the fact it doesn’t lose time while sat, but only when you wear it again, and only on the first day, again strange.

All I can think of is the temperature change from room temperature to body temperature when you first put it on. It may be that movement components are expanding at slightly different rates and it’s affecting the timing. Might it be worth checking whether this happens in the first few hours rather than over a full day to confirm it?

The fact it’s the elite that’s doing it, with the thicker case size, might also indicate that it takes a while for everything inside to reach a consistent temperature. This could be why it happens with this specific watch?

If so it might be time for someone to invent the heated watch winder. But then again it wouldn’t surprise me I’d someone already has.....
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
Jcalder68JasperCat