Advice needed

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Perry Digweed

Advice needed

Post by Perry Digweed »

I heard about CW watches on R4 the other night and was tempted to look at them.

I like the designs and would like to own one- but I think I may have missed the point somewhere. I assumed that all CW watches were mechanical wind yourself types. Having looked on site I now think they are either automatic or quartz.

I like watches as time pieces and jewellery (for lack of better word) but I don't often actually wear one. I'm wondering if an automatic one needs to be worn regularly in order to work at its best (apart from winding down, do long periods of inactivity do the watch no good?). I also assumed that an automatic watch may not last as long as a manual wind-up watch (just more to go wrong?) A quartz watch would therefore seem better but needs repacement batteries I assume and just seems to be, well missing the point a bit. I really prefer the mechanical idea for enviromental and traditional reasons.

So, what should I do?
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Advice needed

Post by downer »

Firstly, welcome to the forum and the world of CW.
Perry Digweed wrote: So, what should I do?
I'd advise you get an automatic watch. After all, this is simply a wind up watch with an extra mechanical bit added to wind the watch with the movement of your hand. I don't think the automatic winding mechanism is likely to be problem part of a watch - and even if it was, most automatic watches also allow you to wind the watch manually, using the crown.

Christopher Ward uses high quality Swiss movements - often the same as you'd find in far more expensive high street branded watches - and they have the 60:60 guarantee, so it's a risk-free purchase.

Go for it, you'll be delighted - especially if you get one with a display back!

Richard
Lamps
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-two: yes

Post by Lamps »

Perry Digweed wrote: I really prefer the mechanical idea for enviromental ?
Welcome to the forum, I can't really work out what you mean by enviromental, unless you mean not using batteries????
Perry Digweed

Post by Perry Digweed »

downer wrote:Firstly, welcome to the forum and the world of CW.

most automatic watches also allow you to wind the watch manually, using the crown.
Thanks for your help.

Is that true for all the CW automatic watches? Makes my decision simple if it is.
downer

Post by downer »

Perry Digweed wrote:
Is that true for all the CW automatic watches? Makes my decision simple if it is.
It is true for all CW automatics. Which one will you go for?
Richard
Perry Digweed

Post by Perry Digweed »

lamppo_the_GasFitter wrote:
Perry Digweed wrote: I really prefer the mechanical idea for enviromental ?
Welcome to the forum, I can't really work out what you mean by enviromental, unless you mean not using batteries????
Yes, that is what I mean. I guess it's a small impact but I still like the idea of "renewable watch energy" (i.e. winding it up).
Perry Digweed

Post by Perry Digweed »

downer wrote: It is true for all CW automatics. Which one will you go for?
I like the C3 Malvern, but I'm also impressed by the see through back plate you mentioned. Anything like the Malvern with see through back?
downer

Post by downer »

Perry Digweed wrote:
downer wrote: It is true for all CW automatics. Which one will you go for?
I like the C3 Malvern, but I'm also impressed by the see through back plate you mentioned. Anything like the Malvern with see through back?
The C3 is a quartz/battery watch (and also a great intro to CWL). If you want an automatic chronograph (with the stopwatch features of the C3), the closest match is the C40. This is a great value watch and it has a display back.

As a first CW automatic, personally I'd strongly recommend a C5 or C5 Aviator. They are plain and simple, but timeless designs that look good in any situation. Of course though, the aesthetics are a personal choice.
Richard
Perry Digweed

Post by Perry Digweed »

downer wrote: The C3 is a quartz/battery watch (and also a great intro to CWL). If you want an automatic chronograph (with the stopwatch features of the C3), the closest match is the C40. This is a great value watch and it has a display back.

As a first CW automatic, personally I'd strongly recommend a C5 or C5 Aviator. They are plain and simple, but timeless designs that look good in any situation. Of course though, the aesthetics are a personal choice.
Sorry, meant C5 and realised that has a display back. Since you also recommend, I think that settles it.

Thanks for help.
downer

Post by downer »

Perry Digweed wrote: Sorry, meant C5 and realised that has a display back. Since you also recommend, I think that settles it.

Thanks for help.
You are welcome. :) Let us know what you think of it when you get it.
Richard
Perry Digweed

Post by Perry Digweed »

downer wrote:
You are welcome. :) Let us know what you think of it when you get it.
Ordered-will do.