About effing time

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

About effing time

Post by golfjunky »

On the latest Instagram post by aet they ask for peoples choice of fave 3 micro brands, now CW seems to be a popular pick but are they wrong in saying it’s a micro or all the fanboys wrong?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Re: About effing time

Post by rkovars »

That is an interesting question. My personal opinion is that they make too many watches per year today to be considered a micro. It is tough to find real numbers but it looks like they shipped somewhere between 20-25K watches last year and are on track for 30K this year. I think they are closer to a brand like Oris than they are to micro brands these days.

When you look at the numbers since 2020 you can kind of see where the growing pains are coming from. Watchpro had an article in April 2020 reporting that CW sales increased 70% in that month year over year.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Damn! When I saw this thread title I thought someone had finally received one of the FLE watches. I was stoked to see it in the flesh. Oh well… :lol:

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
missFajax87
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

rkovars wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:22 pm That is an interesting question. . . . I think they are closer to a brand like Oris than they are to micro brands these days.
Its very difficult to get figures on ORIS because they are Swiss (and much, much more secretive than the CIA!) but the latest published figures from 2022 indicate 300 employees at Holstein and revenue generated of $US70m. Probably a step or two up from CW.
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

I think CW is just too big now to be thought of as a microbrand anymore. Hard to put them in the same category as micros that produce only a few hundred watches a year.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

This may be a daft question but is a micobrand classed purely on the number of watches they turn out, or is revenue, profit, employee numbers etc part of the label...?

Either way I dont see cw as a micro anymore.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Dickchins wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:16 pm This may be a daft question but is a micobrand classed purely on the number of watches they turn out, or is revenue, profit, employee numbers etc part of the label...?

Either way I dont see cw as a micro anymore.
Definitions vary!

However in my view the only accepted “microbrand” test that CW would tick is the online only retail model.

Other criteria…

- number of watches. Nope CW sell way over what would be considered micro level and have done for years

- number of different models. Nope CW sell a wide range of models at different price points

- Structure, typically a chap and his mate run it from their bedroom! Nope CW have fully functional business premises in the UK and Switzerland

- Number of employees, typically a chap, his mate and a watchmaker, who assembles the watches. Nope CW have over 50 employees (or something of that level)

- Just buy in movements, maybe pointlessly engrave the rotor and stick them in the watches. Nope CW often vary the movements by adding specific modules, they also have an in-house movement.

- No ongoing service operation, other than sorting defects during the warranty period. Nope CW have a service offering beyond initial warranty

NB: Sourcing some components from the Far East doesn’t make a brand a microbrand. If it did many rather well known brands would tick that box! :lol:

So no CW are not a microbrand, not that it would really matter if they were. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSDickchins
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

And yet it is still the Joe publics (although all super watch geeks) perception.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ who cares?

I suggest that “Joe Public” has never even heard of the term! :lol:

It is a term sometimes used by the minority of people that collect watches. Hey it is even used as a term by some to gently troll on watch forums! :lol:

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I was referring to all the geeks on the aet Instagram post who replied