Discuss Christopher Ward watches
sadgit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

A question, no make that 2

Post by sadgit »

Hi

Ok so my original question was (is?) how much should I wind my 2011 FLE?
My first manual wind watch since my Hopalong Cassidy watch over 45 years ago!! I dont want to damage by over winding.

Now my second question, I wanted to post this on 2011 FLE Forum but unable to, got message 'You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.' :silent:

Well I bought the watch, what more do I need to do? :lol: Looked in FAQ but could not find any help.
CW owned to date, C9 Jumping Hand Mk2 (now here-WOW) C900 (my new love) 2011 FLE (my old love) C60 trident x2 (Black & Orange) C50 COSC (eve out) C3 Chrono (now sons) Victoria Deco (better half)
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: A question, no make that 2

Post by ianblyth »

About 40 turns per day is enough. Modern watches can not be overwound as once they are fully wound they just let it slip.

The FLE areas are for the design and selling of the FLEs. There is no option to post a new topic there as that is teh admins role. Putting it in General Discussion is the best area.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
sadgit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by sadgit »

ianblyth wrote:About 40 turns per day is enough. Modern watches can not be overwound as once they are fully wound they just let it slip.

The FLE areas are for the design and selling of the FLEs. There is no option to post a new topic there as that is teh admins role. Putting it in General Discussion is the best area.
Thanks for reply :thumbup:

Pleased to hear I can't damage through stupidity.

OK understand about FLE area now, thought I had done something wrong :D , no posts on FLE and excluded from buy and sell in one day and on my birthday of all days :clap:
CW owned to date, C9 Jumping Hand Mk2 (now here-WOW) C900 (my new love) 2011 FLE (my old love) C60 trident x2 (Black & Orange) C50 COSC (eve out) C3 Chrono (now sons) Victoria Deco (better half)
CeeBee
Senior
Senior

Post by CeeBee »

Surely most people just wind a manual-wind watch until it's 'full' i.e. very firm resistance to any further winding, implying that the mainspring is coiled up tightly? Nobody counts 'turns' (do they?), and how many 'turns' you get for a typical run between thumb and forefinger can vary a lot. If you just keep winding some constant amount, then either your bound to be underdoing it (so watch eventually stops), or overdoing it (so it eventually becomes 'full'). I don't know a manual wind that 'slips' when full - I thought that was just automatics? So just wind it until it's 'full' - it's really obvious when - and you won't be doing any harm at all. I don't believe there's any such thing as 'over-winding'.
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by TempusFugit »

Just a quick note - it's only automatic watches that have slip mechanisms on the springs. Manual wind watches can still be damaged by over winding. As pointed out by someone else you will feel resistance as a manual watch spring reaches full tightness. I have a manal wind Panerai and many times I thought I'd over done the winding to find it was fine. I do find that cheapo manual watches overwind very easily probably due to the cheap springs and components.
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
Yoda
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Yoda »

You can feel the tightness increase as you wind it. Fully wound mine goes for about nine hours
Indigo fugit

Yoda, bringing light to the dark side.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Yoda wrote:You can feel the tightness increase as you wind it. Fully wound mine goes for about nine hours
9 hours! :schockiert:

A typo perhaps?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Or Master Yoda just wind really slow, sorry, can't help :lol:
Incoming: 0
Yoda
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Yoda »

I'm wearing it in gently. Nine '9' hours with a wind. Shall I send it back?
Indigo fugit

Yoda, bringing light to the dark side.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Just keep winding it until you hit a wall - you will feel resistance build up until the barrel is full and you cant wind it any further - you won't be able to push through that wall without considerable effort. This will give you full charge and about 46 hours of constant wear.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

This is a good reason for manual wind watches to have a power reserve indicator, (to me the power reserve is wasted on an automatic after wearing the watch for a few hours it would always be fully wound). On a manual wound watch keeping it between 30 to 70% on the power reserve indicator would maintain it at it's peak mechanical efficiency. I remember reading somewhere that this was recommended practice for Station Masters in the Golden Age of Steam.
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

alphajet wrote:This is a good reason for manual wind watches to have a power reserve indicator, (to me the power reserve is wasted on an automatic after wearing the watch for a few hours it would always be fully wound). On a manual wound watch keeping it between 30 to 70% on the power reserve indicator would maintain it at it's peak mechanical efficiency. I remember reading somewhere that this was recommended practice for Station Masters in the Golden Age of Steam.
Yes, I couldn't put it more clearly. Also, they kept it between 30 to 70% because it ensured the greatest accuracy and trains have to be on-time. For that reason specifically, did the power reserve become developed.
bozmandb9

Post by bozmandb9 »

sadgit wrote:
ianblyth wrote:About 40 turns per day is enough. Modern watches can not be overwound as once they are fully wound they just let it slip.

Thanks for reply :thumbup:

Pleased to hear I can't damage through stupidity.

OK understand about FLE area now, thought I had done something wrong :D , no posts on FLE and excluded from buy and sell in one day and on my birthday of all days :clap:
Belated happy returns, it was my birthday on the first too, hence my purchase of my first CW, and joining the forum! Quality birthday, St David's Day!

Cheers,

David
badmedia
Junior
Junior

Post by badmedia »

Is this why folks buy auto winder to avoid over winding or do they serve other purpose?
amagawd
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by amagawd »

badmedia wrote:Is this why folks buy auto winder to avoid over winding or do they serve other purpose?
I always assumed that people bought autowinders and such so that they didn't have to keep reconfiguring their watches each time they wished to use them... could be wrong though.
Tom