39/ 40mm diver

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Drmarkf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: 39/ 40mm diver

Post by Drmarkf »

My 2005 WAB1110 TAG Aquaracer has got a 'wavy' case between 38 and about 43mm, but the bezel's relatively small and the overall effect is certainly under 40mm.
Regards,
Mark

Rolex [4] : Omega [2] : Heuer [3] : Sinn : Nomos : Zeno : Steinhart : Citizen : Traser : Casio : Smiths/PRS
rye

Post by rye »

here's an image via google, and bear in mind this guy has a 7 inch plus wrist, it's a subtle difference, but the smaller watch looks far more pleasing.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

atnits wrote:
asqwerth wrote:My preferred size is 36mm, but 38mm would be acceptable.
Your Damasko doesn't look out of place though....[snip]
True, but from around 40mm, the question of whether a particular watch will fit/look ok or not on my small wrist would depend a lot on whether that watch's lugs are short/curved enough. So the uncertainty is there for me and I'd be held ransom to the watch case shape.

If it were short and curved like this 39/40mm-er:

that would be fine. But straighter and longer lugs....
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Loddonite wrote:A 40mm Amfibia seems a good size to me...
Not a bad idea, Dom! Nice and cheap for a holiday watch, and you can swim with it! :clap:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

39/ 40mm diver

Post by Wis »

Some of you wanted to see a 39-40mm diver. Well, my Zenith diver is 39mm. Not able to link to the thread at the mo, but do a search and you'll find it.
Bjørn
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

The Trident wears smaller than its 42mm might suggest. At 7 1/4" I don't have a large wrist either (and I'm 6'2" as well) and my Trident has become my daily watch to the complete exclusion of my other watches. I'm also conscious that large watches can look absurd on small (smallish) wrists and the market has tended to favour the trend for larger watches creating what i perceive to be a gap in choice. I think brietling produced a 38mm superocean so if you can find a picture of one on the net you'll get a good idea of its appearance.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Yep, my Breitling Colt is 38mm. Some of the Heuer 1000 divers were 38mm too.

There are smaller dive watches around if you look, that still look right I think. And a Rolex sub is "only" 40mm, and doesn't look too shabby.
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

JAG wrote:
Leo David wrote:The Trident wears smaller than its 42mm might suggest. At 7 1/4" I don't have a large wrist either (and I'm 6'2" as well) and my Trident has become my daily watch to the complete exclusion of my other watches. I'm also conscious that large watches can look absurd on small (smallish) wrists and the market has tended to favour the trend for larger watches creating what i perceive to be a gap in choice. I think brietling produced a 38mm superocean so if you can find a picture of one on the net you'll get a good idea of its appearance.

Thanks Jag. I was actually thinking of the Heritage i.e. the non-chrono version. Lovely watch and another to add to the collection of watches that i will own only in my mind!
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by androo »

I like watches around 40mm and have ones up to 45mm but I do think there should be more non dress watches (i.e. more than just the C5/50) 40mm. A verision of the Trident would be a good start
watchlover1
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by watchlover1 »

Leo David wrote:The Trident wears smaller than its 42mm might suggest. At 7 1/4" I don't have a large wrist either (and I'm 6'2" as well) and my Trident has become my daily watch to the complete exclusion of my other watches. I'm also conscious that large watches can look absurd on small (smallish) wrists and the market has tended to favour the trend for larger watches creating what i perceive to be a gap in choice. I think brietling produced a 38mm superocean so if you can find a picture of one on the net you'll get a good idea of its appearance.
Interesting point...I love the Trident appearance but am a bit uncertain due to my small wrists..its appears CW got it spot on with the Trident though :D
Citizen,Tag Heuer,Oris,Victorinox Swiss Army,Casio,G-Shock,Fossil, Guess
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

The 38mm SOH might be the ultimate sub-40mm diver. It's a shame I discovered it after it was discontinued. One for sale recently, but no box or papers, and that makes me nervous with a modern watch as expensive as a Breitling.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

That's the one. Beautiful watch in my view.
watchlover1
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by watchlover1 »

Im really tempted to pull the trigger on this Seiko, 38mm diver...would make a perfect daily beater at that price

http://www.yorkshirewatches.co.uk/produ ... 1_SNZF29K1
watchlover1
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by watchlover1 »

Thanks for the link Jag :D
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Don't forget to check out 'Creation Watches' & '21 Jewels' both usually have excellent prices on Seiko, Citizen etc...