36mm Sealander - Speculations?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

36mm Sealander - Speculations?

Post by Jcalder68 »

In the recent Loupe edition, pg11 to be precise, it has been revealed that a 36mm sized Sealander will be released later in 2022.
It’s not really a direct point of discussion for this thread, but I think this is the smallest Watch that CW has released, certainly in recent years. Now, I’m very much in favour of this idea. Sure, most of my CW models are 40-42mm sized, but my collection goes right down to 32mm for a couple of my vintage models and all sizes get worn regularly. According to the Loupe article, there will be several dial (case?) colour options, as well as a couple of limited editions.
So what do we want to see here?
My own personal wish is for a stainless steel case, black dial and a COSC movement housed within. I’m also wondering what strap size the case will have; 18mm or 19mm will probably look good but 20mm might be too wide?
Feel free to add your own suggestions below and keep well,
C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13

Re: 36mm Sealander - Speculations?

Post by nbg »

I would say that 20mm lugs on a 36mm light catcher case would be fine. Particularly if they follow through with a taper down to 16mm at the clasp.

I imagine that a 36mm case will still end up with a 30mm dial, which would be in proportion for the style of watch.

As to variations I would be keen on a no date version. Hopefully including sunburst silver, blue and green dial options. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Jcalder68
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

I’d love to see a cream or silver dial, 18mm lugs, and no date. I’d be open to any number of colors as long as they’re not too crazy. A COSC movement is neither a necessity nor a turn off for me.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Jcalder68
Andrew
“Everything’s better when you feel guilty.” ~ Anthony Bourdain

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AMGT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 5

Post by missF »

Matte white date
Matte black no date

As for colours, CW has always done yellow and orange well, then on top of those I’d like to see salmon. Not at all sure what I feel about Tiffany blue :lol:

My guess is that a white/cream/silver dial and a black dial will be in the permanent collection while there will be limited editions of various colours. I’d choose a white so long as it’s not too shiny.
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Jcalder68
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

@ngb
A taper from 20mm to 16mm on the strap was something I had never considered, but I do agree in that it might well suit the watch well. I will have to try sewing up a few and see how they wear on my Sealander…

Another thing I have thought about is the relative sizes of dial markers and hands. I hope CW do not just scale these down by the same ratio that they will be scaling the case down by. I think this will end up with them looking too skinny. I hope they beef them up a bit “from scale” so that they remain easy to read.

Keep well,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Jcalder68 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:42 pm Another thing I have thought about is the relative sizes of dial markers and hands. I hope CW do not just scale these down by the same ratio that they will be scaling the case down by. I think this will end up with them looking too skinny. I hope they beef them up a bit “from scale” so that they remain easy to read.
Without, one hopes, making them look like something out of the toybox or a Seiko fugly special.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Jcalder68
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Alex r »

Having seen Omega wreck the Aqua Terra and Sinn jumping on the op bandwagon would be nice to see CW do something different instead of chasing after what's been done with the pastel Matt colour palette.
Black and white should be core colours, With Green and ombre dials from the current line up Sunburst Tangerine and yellow from the C6 kingfisher and Scooter blue as limited editions.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Alex r for the post:
Jcalder68
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

nbg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:01 pm I imagine that a 36mm case will still end up with a 30mm dial, which would be in proportion for the style of watch.
Jcalder68 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:42 pm Another thing I have thought about is the relative sizes of dial markers and hands. I hope CW do not just scale these down by the same ratio that they will be scaling the case down by. I think this will end up with them looking too skinny. I hope they beef them up a bit “from scale” so that they remain easy to read.
Given the potential small size of the dial, I think I’d like to see a unique dial for a 36mm Sealander rather than simply a scaled down version on the current dial.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Jcalder68
Andrew
“Everything’s better when you feel guilty.” ~ Anthony Bourdain

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AMGT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Having a 36mm Tudor BB, I really don't see the dial as being particularly small, since the bezel is slim. The blobs and other markers on the BB36 is more than legible enough.

Dial Expectations: models with standard black, white and darkish blue dials. Won't get any of these since I have my BB36 (black dial) and my 38mm C60 with white dial.

Want: sunburst yellow and sunburst blue dials!

Wouldn't mind: a green dial, either like the current "scratched" hunter green from the main c63 stable, or the nice green of Bjorn's latest Reverso.

Date window: prefer not to have one

Lug width: nothing silly like 19mm, which the BB36 is. Luckily I like it just fine on the bracelet. Preference is 20mm.

Note: CW have made 36m watches, but they were targeted at women, though I think men could wear the original 36mm Matisse non-diamond chrono -- I have one and it does come with the inconvenient 19mm lug width.

[ADDED] actually, I wouldn't mind dial markers similar to Acquitaine, but that might make the watch design too similar to Rolex/Tudor?
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Jcalder68
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
drand
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by drand »

I see one...two...three...four...five....six colours here. It can't be that simple can it?
IMG_20220430_103644.jpg
These users thanked the author drand for the post (total 3):
Jcalder68jkbarnesthomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

drand wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:39 am I see one...two...three...four...five....six colours here. It can't be that simple can it?
I wouldn’t bet against it!

That, by the way, was with my forum member/speculator head on. You will understand that for a lot of new releases, especially new ranges, the Admin Team does get a bit of a sneak preview a few months earlier. We saw the Aquitaine designs before Christmas, for example, and it is always quite amusing to see how the speculation goes, who gets it right and who is on completely the wrong planet! :lol:

However, as regards the 36 mm Sealander we have been told nothing except the case diameter. We don’t know about other dimensions, including lug width, we don’t know about functions and we don’t know about colours. But all those colours do look distinctly possible, don’t they?
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
drandJcalder68jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Very observant, drand!
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post (total 2):
drandJcalder68
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 5

Post by missF »

Well played drand! :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Jcalder68
drand
Guru
Guru

Post by drand »

missF wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:50 am Well played drand! :D
Thanks. Now waiting to be proved spectacularly wrong when they emerge!
These users thanked the author drand for the post:
Jcalder68
wookiechew23
Junior
Junior

Post by wookiechew23 »

I'm very excited to see what these 36mm releases look like! The right choice of colors (maybe the 5 on that page?), plus CW's fantastic finishing, should make for an excellent little watch.
These users thanked the author wookiechew23 for the post:
Jcalder68