30000 clone ETA movements imported into Switzerland

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
grejyedi
Junior
Junior

30000 clone ETA movements imported into Switzerland

Post by grejyedi »

Saw on another forum a link to : http://www.businessmontres.com/breve_2777.htm how 30,000 ETA clones had been imported from China into Switzerland.

••• POSÉ UNE QUESTION NAÏVE
AUX AMIS FOURNISSEURS RENCONTRÉS VENDREDI AU SIHH...
Au fait, et ces 30 000 mouvements « clones d’ETA » entièrement faits en Chine, mais récemment dédouanés en Suisse : ils ont été commandés par qui, ils viennent d’où et ils sont destinés à qui, exactement ? Un travail de qualité, qui pourrait passer pour du Swiss Made tout ce qu’il y a de plus authentique, surtout une fois emboîté et réexpédié sur quelques marchés exotiques. La réponse à la question a de quoi faire trébucher quelques marques, qui ont voulu gagner du temps pour parer à la pénurie de mouvements orchestrée par le Swatch Group...

• • • Asks a question NAÏVE
SUPPLIERS TO FRIENDS met Friday at the SIHH ...
By the way, and these movements 30 000 "clones of ETA" made ​​entirely in China, but recently cleared in Switzerland: they were ordered by whom they come from and where they are for who exactly? Quality work, which could pass for the Swiss Made everything more authentic, especially when followed and returned a few exotic markets. The answer has something to trip a few brands that wanted to buy time to deal with the shortage of movements orchestrated by the Swatch Group ...

Makes the argument about a Selitta SW200 vs an ETA a bit redundant.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: 30000 clone ETA movements imported into Switzerland

Post by scooter »

Just as well that I have no plans, FLE apart, to purchase a brand new watch from Switzerland then.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

The worm turned... China's revenge for ETA not exporting movements into the people's republic (and the reason CW moved manufacture to a Swiss atelier I recall)?
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Thought I would mention that Chris is aware of this situation and has told me that ".... rest assured they will never find their way into our watches"
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
amleto
Senior
Senior

Post by amleto »

would expect nothing less :)
Halios Tropik SS, C60 GMT SKKO, Magrette Regattare 2011 sold, Casio Edifice, Seiko x2
Incoming: fle'13?
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

Indeedy... I just love the irony (not a swatch)!
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

scooter wrote:Just as well that I have no plans, FLE apart, to purchase a brand new watch from Switzerland then.

scooter
Scooter,

I bought a Canon Camera two years ago. I thought Canon was an American Company but now I'm not sue where Canon originated from. Anyway, there's a sticker on the bottom stating "made in china". Do you know who originated the Canon Company?
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Japanese surely
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

Russ-Shettle wrote:I bought a Canon Camera two years ago. I thought Canon was an American Company but now I'm not sue where Canon originated from. Anyway, there's a sticker on the bottom stating "made in china". Do you know who originated the Canon Company?
Is this a trick question?
OK, I'll bite... Japanese through and through...

Canon's predecessor, Precision Optical Instruments Laboratory, was founded in Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, to conduct research into quality cameras in 1933. 'Canon' was trademarked in 1935, the year after the first camera (the Kwanon - no joke) was produced. Canon didn't operate in the US until 1955 (OK I had to look this paragraph up)

... but your point, I think, is that this acme of camera technology gets it's cameras made in China - and if 'China made' is good enough for one of the top consumer precision instrument makers in the world then what's wrong with a Chinese 'ETA'? Well from a quality standpoint - probably not a lot, but...

You should have bought a Nikon - mine was made in Thailand <smug> :)
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

highway62 wrote:Japanese surely
I agree. :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_%28company%29
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Yep, H is correct.

With that in mind I'm not really sure of the point you are trying to make Russ.

I found this useful in understanding the definition of 'Swiss made'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Made ... ned_by_Law

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
highway62

Post by highway62 »

NIKON, Pah!
Canon every time. 8)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Russ,

I don't think the real issue here is the quality of chinese watch movements. There is no doubt that makers such as Seagull make very high quality movements. The issue is that these ETA clones were imported to Switzerland, and seemed destined to end up in 'Swiss Made' watches. Your Canon camera was made in China, and is labelled as such. Would you feel the same about the camera if it was labelled 'Made in Japan' (or USA if you prefer), and actually had a Chinese clone of a Japanese camera inside the camera case?
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Lavaine wrote:Russ,

I don't think the real issue here is the quality of chinese watch movements. There is no doubt that makers such as Seagull make very high quality movements. The issue is that these ETA clones were imported to Switzerland, and seemed destined to end up in 'Swiss Made' watches. Your Canon camera was made in China, and is labelled as such. Would you feel the same about the camera if it was labelled 'Made in Japan' (or USA if you prefer), and actually had a Chinese clone of a Japanese camera inside the camera case?
No, I get your point and I agree. I spoke out of context if you will. I was just relating on how so much has changed with seemingly everything being made in China these days. I was actually surprised to see the label on my Canon Camera. I'm not so sure I should be surprised with this news however.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

highway62 wrote:NIKON, Pah!
Canon every time. 8)
Nope. Panasonic. Of the Lumix variety. 8)