Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: 30000 clone ETA movements imported into Switzerland

Post by Russ-Shettle »

scooter wrote:Yep, H is correct.

With that in mind I'm not really sure of the point you are trying to make Russ.

I found this useful in understanding the definition of 'Swiss made'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Made ... ned_by_Law

scooter
I'm not sure I had a point. Let me ask you this: Do you think the Chinese have the skill equipment and expertise to build movements as good as anything ETA produces?
highway62

Post by highway62 »

I have no doubt they do & if the origin of the movements is openly declared I see no issues.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

highway62 wrote:I have no doubt they do & if the origin of the movements is openly declared I see no issues.
Do you think we are headed toward a "Swiss Assembled" from a "Swiss Made" world for many of the lessor know watch makers in Switzerland? What would ETA care if China built clones of their most widely used movements? ETA is cutting them off at the knees eventually. All they're doing is inviting China to cease the opportunity for rescue. Or could it be; ETA is cutting off their supply to secure the "Swiss Made" distinction for themselves, figuring that China is eventually going to the recipients of vendor outsourcing to include Swill Movements. Here in the US now, it's very hard to find anything that's not "made in china". It's everything and it's everywhere. China will one day own America, I fear!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Russ-Shettle wrote: China will one day own America, I fear!
They will if we don't pay the loans back. :(
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

Kip wrote:
Russ-Shettle wrote: China will one day own America, I fear!
They will if we don't pay the loans back. :(
Same was said of Japan back in the 80s 90s. Worm turns often.
image_doctor
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by image_doctor »

Russ-Shettle wrote:
scooter wrote:Yep, H is correct.

With that in mind I'm not really sure of the point you are trying to make Russ.

I found this useful in understanding the definition of 'Swiss made'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Made ... ned_by_Law

scooter
I'm not sure I had a point. Let me ask you this: Do you think the Chinese have the skill equipment and expertise to build movements as good as anything ETA produces?
Back in the day .. "Made in Japan" was associated with poor quality low priced goods, clearly this is not the case today.

The price Grand Seikos command demonstrates that today the Japanese are capable of producing very high quality watch movements with advanced technologies such as Spring Drive.

As the Canon example demonstrates, with increasing expertise in manufacturing, they seem to make a very large percentage of all manufactured goods so certainly get a lot of practice, one can easily imagine that one day "Made in China" may well be a similar hallmark of quality.

With 1.3 Billion people ... and a Normal distribution of intelligence ... there is a VERY large number of smart people in China ! :)
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Lots of high end luxury goods are made in China with a little bit of finishing elsewhere so that they do not have to decalare it. The Swiss can afford to keep upping their prices in line with higher costs in the West because people are already willing to pay over the odds for Swiss high end watches. However, I don't for one moment believe that all ETA movements are made by highly skilled craftsman who sit at a bench with a bit of metal and a file. They will be stamped out by machines. Possibly the high end ones are finished by hand. So the model would be get the things stamped out in China and finished and assembled in Switzerland. As far as I can tell this would still allow them to be called Swiss made. I'm only surprised that this isn't already happening. Or is it? the 3000 movements were probably legit!