F1 2018

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: F1 2018

Post by PaulJS »

Feel a bit sorry for Paddy Lowe - he is stuck with two rich kids who probably are not able to give meaningful feedback to help him develop the car and then the icing on the cake is having to take feedback from one of the dads :lol:

This is what happens I guess when money talks and drivers buy their way into F1.

I think in his shoes I might have been saying something along the lines of:

Err..World Championship winning team, World Championship winning designer & rookie drivers who are here due to cash not merit. Shall we do a root cause analysis into why we aren't doing so well!

I don't blame Williams - they clearly have do what they have to do to survive financially. Its more a reflection of what F1 has become :(
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

PaulJS wrote:Feel a bit sorry for Paddy Lowe - he is stuck with two rich kids who probably are not able to give meaningful feedback to help him develop the car and then the icing on the cake is having to take feedback from one of the dads :lol:

This is what happens I guess when money talks and drivers buy their way into F1.

I think in his shoes I might have been saying something along the lines of:

Err..World Championship winning team, World Championship winning designer & rookie drivers who are here due to cash not merit. Shall we do a root cause analysis into why we aren't doing so well!

I don't blame Williams - they clearly have do what they have to do to survive financially. Its more a reflection of what F1 has become :(
:clap:

That's exactly what it looks like.

Billionaire Stroll Snr: "Give my son a faster car for my money!"
Paddy Lowe: "Get your son to tell me what's right with it and what's wrong with it, and I can try to get it sorted...."

[rinse and repeat]
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

what-time-is-it wrote:Classic set of pics!

Will take a miracle to see Williams get any decent points this season and that's with the Merc engine in the back. Also the final season for title sponsor Martini this year, so trouble ahead I'm afraid.
The hand language from both people in this set of photos tells the whole story. The look on Paddy Lowe's face in photo3 to me seems to be total contempt and saying "move your hand away from me!".
Definitely the wrong year for Wiliams to be having such a bad start and relying on 2 rookies to input feedback as they need to be doing well to attract a new main sponsor after Martini moves away.

Mr. Stroll Snr must be putting huge piles of money into Williams for Paddy Lowe to take those gestures and not to tell him to just "Go Away", in more colourful language obviously. Why wasn't this conversation behind closed doors away from photographers?
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Williams have historically voted against common parts, or buying in chassis from the likes of Dallara and have consistently been advocates of designing all parts with the exception of the engine/power unit. They then criticise that F1 isn't sustainable and that it's not possible to compete with the big boys.

I can't help but feel that Frank et al have been too stubborn in not wanting to accept change and it's now left them in a spot of bother and Paddy's also in a pickle because I'm sure he invested in the team when he joined, so it's unlikely he'll either be fired or resign.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ddav »

I wonder if this is going to be part of the pit for the pit crew at McLaren? Image

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

F1 season is done and dusted by race 3, Vettel won't be challenged by his number 2 and the Mecedes dominance is over so a red procession for the rest of the year. The only interest left in the season will be who goes where for next year, Hamilton now has a really big choice to make over signing his contract or jumping ship, trouble is where could he go? Ricciardo will have to think seriously about heading to Mercedes who are on a downward trajectory.

Left field choice - Bottas to Ferrari to replace Raikkonen to keep Vettel challenge-free, secure and happy.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

I feel you are being somewhat premature. It is far too early in the season to write off Mercedes and Hamilton.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

It's another season where the Mercedes haven't got the best of the tyres. Ferrari seem to be getting them in the sweet spot, as are Red Bull. Torro Rosso lucked the sweet spot last race and Mclaren struggled this weekend.

Sadly, while it's great for the sport to have Ferrari back up there, the untold story is the one about this season's Pirellis and their small working range. It's only when they're exploding or falling apart people start talking...

Having the tyre compound in the right thermal window vs not is worth up to a second of lap time.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Tweet from Danny Ric;

"Spark me up and call me buttercup"

Not sure I'd fancy following him too closely.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Great race, almost like a wet race without the rain!
Bring on Azerbaijan.

Chris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Wow what a great, incident packed race.

The safety car was lucky for Red Bull in that it allowed them to change to fresh tyres for both DR and MV (although great opportunism too). Ferrari and Mercedes chose not to pit Raikkonen and Hamilton (albeit they had less thinking time than RB) whilst Vettel and Bottas were just past the pit entry and didn't have the opportunity in any event.

Danny Ric had a great drive after that although with the tyres I think it was his and Max's to lose after that...Max did a good job of being impetuous and throwing away a podium.

Hamilton actually is probably not too sad in terms of a damage limitation weekend where he has got 4th after the penalty for Max and Vettel finishing down in 8th so the gap is down to only 9 points.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Max is rapidly becoming a liability this season, it looks like Dani Ric has his measure causing him to overdrive all the time. RB were lucky but also brave to take a punt, something they have to do to make up the performance gap that exists to Ferrari and Mercedes.

Poor race management from the two leading teams identified their major weakness of believing they only had to cover off each other, which lead to ultra conservative decision making.

Still think Ferrari will pull clear and be comfortable this season, their car seems to exploit the tyres across the ambient temperature range, the Mercedes doesn't seem to like hot or cold track temps which pretty much knackers them everywhere.

Vettel's mostly phlegmatic acceptance of a bad day at the office underlines the fact he overall has the whip hand, Hamilton starting to moan shows he knows the title is slipping away even now.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Championship standings so far:

1 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 54
2 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 45
3 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 40
4 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 37
5 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 30
6 Fernando Alonso McLaren Renault 22

Chris
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

Tyke wrote:Max is rapidly becoming a liability this season...
Very much like Hamilton in his early F1 years- I can remember some stupid incidents caused by him, so maybe Max is on his way to a few F1WC titles in the not too distant?
So many watches, yet still so little time!
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Max is great to watch and livens up most races courtesy of some outrageous overtaking attempts. The problem is that there seems to be little calculation going on as to whether the risk matches the reward of the move! There is a place for do or die overtaking bids but when you are on fresh tyres watching all those around you struggle is not one of them!

DR is great to watch because he is a case study in how to keep grinding away, never give up and who knows how things will turn out in the end. Plus he also makes some fantastic overtakes but, unlike Max, seems to have almost a sixth sense when it comes to picking the right moment. He also has incredible finesse under braking and does not simply spear his opponents due to finding out that he can't get the thing slowed down under control.

Max could do worse that write out a thousand times the old adage:

'To finish first, first you have to finish'.

Too often he embarks upon potentially race ending moves - for him and his quarry! It's a shame, but I think if he is not careful he will lose the confidence of the teams who could deliver him a championship. He has proven he is fast and committed, now in season 4 he needs to show maturity and the ability to Hoover up the max number of points available at each race rather than have a motto of win or die trying.

Ironically he need look no further than his team mate for lessons in how to do this!

Having said all of the above, I hope that he does not change one little bit - one of the best bits of current F1 races is guessing on which lap Max will crash and who into :lol:
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39