A place to discuss other watch-brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: are watchfinder taking the p***?

Post by nbg »

Tyke wrote:Lot of money for watches with flimsy (worthless?) Guarantees
A one month old Rolex bought from WF has 4 years 11 months of Rolex warranty. Doesn't seem that flimsy to me?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

stefs wrote:I wonder how long these will be with them at 9 grand a pop? Almost at daytona levels of daftness. These massive margins seem to be a relatively new thing to me but I could be wrong (usually am)
I sort of get it with special limited editions like the snoopy or Tuesday but just seems nuts with production watches. Try anf find a nautilus without paying a bloody great premium. I suppose rolex, pp etc know what they're doing but it can be very frustrating if your a potential customer. Personally with regards to wf it makes me want to say shove it to using them in the future.

Mr grumpy
If you want an LV (or other new sports Rolex) just get on the list at the AD and prepare to exercise patience - safe in the knowledge that your watch will be depreciation-proof, thanks to the high secondary-market prices defined by WF&co. :)
Richard
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Trouble is Richard the three dealers I have spoken to all say they have closed their lists! One of them I have bought 2 rolex and a speedy from this year and that still isn't even enough to get me in the queue
Cheers now, Paul
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to how WF can ask £15,950 for this 2004 Rolex 'Hulk'

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
downer

Post by downer »

stefs wrote:Trouble is Richard the three dealers I have spoken to all say they have closed their lists! One of them I have bought 2 rolex and a speedy from this year and that still isn't even enough to get me in the queue
That's shocking, but I blame all the people who are on the list at dozens of AD's - meaning the lists (and length of lists) are a bit meaningless. Many are on lists only to make an immediate profit. Dealers need to be more discerning somehow.
Richard
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to how WF can ask £15,950 for this 2004 Rolex 'Hulk'

Guy

That's not the hulk guy and is a discontinued model so commands a premium though nowhere near that much normally
Cheers now, Paul
downer

Post by downer »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to how WF can ask £15,950 for this 2004 Rolex 'Hulk'

Guy

Because they have sufficient control of the market as to be able to set the price...?
Richard
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Guy

Because people will pay! Let's face it we all clamour for these LE because they are in short supply and if we grab one it will appreciate a lot. There are lots of great watches out there. Don't play the game. Don't buy and the price will drop.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

Guy

Short answer - because it's a Kermit not a hulk!

Longer answer - it's a 2004 with 'flat 4" insert. If it wasn't a "flat 4" it probably would have been about £7,500. There are many other factors that will determine the market price, including whether it has a "full set" or whether it has been polished (polished = less valuable).

Neil
TZ-UK
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

nbg wrote:
A one month old Rolex bought from WF has 4 years 11 months of Rolex warranty. Doesn't seem that flimsy to me?

Neil
Apologies, didn't realise you retained the remaining manufacturer warranty, a lot of grey market suppliers out there seem to just offer their own guarantees which don't match up to the manufacturer's ones.
Bahnstormer_vRS

downer wrote:

Guy

Because they have sufficient control of the market as to be able to set the price...?
A bit like Foxtons and the London property market then? :silent:

Guy

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

Tyke wrote:
nbg wrote:

Neil
Apologies, didn't realise you retained the remaining manufacturer warranty, a lot of grey market suppliers out there seem to just offer their own guarantees which don't match up to the manufacturer's ones.
Apologies not required. I think it is a bit of a mine field trying to find out which 'grey' dealers you end up getting the manufacturers warranty, as opposed to just their own.

In many ways WF aren't a grey dealer in the accepted sense. They sell pre-owned watches - it just happens that some have never been worn by the original purchaser, before being sold to WF.

So in many ways similar to an individual buying a watch new and selling it on a month later.

Neil
TZ-UK
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

nbg wrote: Apologies not required. I think it is a bit of a mine field trying to find out which 'grey' dealers you end up getting the manufacturers warranty, as opposed to just their own.

In many ways WF aren't a grey dealer in the accepted sense. They sell pre-owned watches - it just happens that some have never been worn by the original purchaser, before being sold to WF.

So in many ways similar to an individual buying a watch new and selling it on a month later.

Neil
Thanks for the clarification :thumbup:
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Clarky »

nbg wrote:

Guy

Short answer - because it's a Kermit not a hulk!

Longer answer - it's a 2004 with 'flat 4" insert. If it wasn't a "flat 4" it probably would have been about £7,500. There are many other factors that will determine the market price, including whether it has a "full set" or whether it has been polished (polished = less valuable).

Neil
Neil has pretty much hit the nail on the head with his reply so l will only add that, that particular variant of the Kermit submariner was only made for about a year, between mid 2003 (announced during baselworld 2003) until late 2004 with the flat 4 on the 40 of the bezel and it was Rolex's very first anniversary watch to celebrate 50 years of the submariner. So it makes it the Ultimate version of the submariner LV to have if you are if you want a LV submariner. You can't ware it of course as it is worth much more as a compleat package in mint condition with all of its stickers on ](*,)

They were going for about 4.5k five years ago :(
I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
Bahnstormer_vRS

@Gents - thanks all for the information.

Hulk, kermit, flat 4, SubB, SubC?

Seems like I've either got a lot to learn about the world of Rolex, or carry on in my current blissful ignorance.

Guy