What a collection!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: What a collection!

Post by Dancematt »

skimrok wrote:Real hip hop my man..........NOT! Out of them I would have 2 but for the peacock it's very fitting for the person , you have a pea cock or are you a pea cock :lol: ouch that's definitely firing blanks :rate0:
According to comments the peacock is actually really a Phoenix :lol: :lol:

It's a sad collection really, all that money and not a single individual idea compared to the plethora of multi millionaires out there. Nothing sentimental or handed down from the family then? No gifts from the missus or the kids? Why not commission your own watch designs or your own brand??
I miss all the great things that may never be.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I haven’t had a watch passed down to me and don’t have anyone in the family that will. It has to start somewhere
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ceegee »

nbg wrote:Unless I misheard, I think at one point he mentioned/implied that PP had become cool in the past few years!
Seems these young hip hop fellas have recently cottoned on to Patek.
See also this:- https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/witho ... lippe-5790. So expect more references to Patek and AP.

I didn’t really pay much attention to Pras’ watches, as I was distracted by the fact that the Hodinkee interviewer chap was wearing my B&R 126 Heritage. Good taste that man :lol:
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

I have seen this.. And all the money in the World cant buy you taste.

Patek Pilot to be worn in gym?

Carbon AP that he referers to as ceramic?

I think that he menitioned in one part that he wears Patek on dates because woman recognize the brand.

I will just leave it there...
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

sinner777 wrote:I have seen this.. And all the money in the World cant buy you taste.

Patek Pilot to be worn in gym?

Carbon AP that he referers to as ceramic?

I think that he menitioned in one part that he wears Patek on dates because woman recognize the brand.

I will just leave it there...
You don't care for the PP's (diamond ones excluded)? Not enough 'taste' for you in a PP? Prefer a good old CW Trident then? Why shouldn't he wear a watch to impress? I hear that all the time here - so called dress watches for the right occasion and all that guff, watches to be worn with a suit, watches to be worn when you are tying up your shoelaces? (Oh okay, I admit I made that one up, but you get my gist).

There is quite frankly too much sneering 'superiority' in this thread for comfort.
'Tis me
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^ Perhaps they thought that the PP 5959 Chrono would be too small and understated compared with a bling Trident and that the two steel blue and white dial 5711 had a funny shaped case........ :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I have just rewatched this and I counted 7 that I liked. All pp. I must also have no taste whatsoever!

Although he may have his faults and not have the finest horological knowledge you can’t deny his passion for his choices.
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

I don't care for the collection much, but these "Talking Watches" videos are fascinating, making my obsession for watches go through the roof. It is now something I must do haha.

I am most fascinated with how the individuals being interviewed get into watches to start and the trial/error period where you have no idea what your buying until you settle into a genuine taste for what you love.

I firmly believe I am in this trial/error period and am amazed with the connections people develop with their watches which make them so important, but how did that story start? Something trivial like you thought it looked cool? Did the story start with mass amounts of research and purchase hunt?

It makes me wonder if the watches I currently own and do like... are they going to turn into a story or fall into the shadows and be sold?

As a younger enthusiast with no meaningful connection to historical events in which watches were significant, where does it all begin? Maybe CW forum is where my story starts. Time will tell.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

stefs wrote:I have just rewatched this and I counted 7 that I liked. All pp. I must also have no taste whatsoever!

Although he may have his faults and not have the finest horological knowledge you can’t deny his passion for his choices.
I think I said 6 in my initial response (all PP) - I excluded the open dial concept Aquanaut, hence only 6.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Wow that is an impressive collection of stunning watches! :cuinlove: :clap:
Dean
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

I'm clearly not PP's target market.

Even if I had the money I still wouldn't buy one for the same reason I'd choose an Aston Martin over a Ferrari.

Some people like to stand out in a crowd and be the center of attention and others don't.
PP certainly seem to have the former well catered for and no doubt make a very healthy profit doing so.

If people demand watches that scream "look at me and all the money I've got" then you can't blame the manufacturer for giving them what they want .

Thankfully there is a seemingly endless supply of watches and manufacturers that cater to my tastes too.

I certainly wouldn't take offence if someone ridiculed my watch collection. There are far more important things to get upset about.
CHRIS
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

Mind you , everything comparative.

That guys watch collection is positively understated compared to Floyd Mayweathers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-j1sOW0D0Q
CHRIS
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Is that a diamond encrusted G-Shock? Talk about mixed messages...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

Well diamonds are the hardest natural substance (i think) so he's effectively taken the G shock philosophy to its logical extreme.

I think he may of been punched in the head once too often.
CHRIS
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

DISJT wrote:I'd choose an Aston Martin over a Ferrari.
Oh so would I, any day!

Not sure it's a relevant comparison though?
'Tis me