Day of week complication in other languages

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
pmareschal
CW-watches: 1

Day of week complication in other languages

Post by pmareschal »

Hello,

I just got my C60 Trident Day-Date and it is gorgeous.

I was just wondering, to push customization further, if it could be conceivable to get the Day dial in other languages than English?
I suppose that Day dial could easily be provided in other languages and swapped at owner's request.

What do you think?

Is it a logistic nightmare?

Best regards,

Pierre

PS: I have another watch where the Day dial is actually bi-lingual. So there are actually 2 x 7 slots with day names in alternate language.
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Day of week complication in other languages

Post by Psalty »

There are 2x7 slots on your date wheel, too, both in English. Date wheels are interchangeable. As to customization... what customization? You can, of course, have your watch altered, should you not mind the loss of warranty.
Gregory
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

i'm guess the OP is after a DUTCH, FRENCH or GERMAN day/date wheel judging by his location.

Seems strange that if the C60 has 14 lines to allocate , that they haven't put 2 languages on the wheel instead of repeating english twice.
CHRIS
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

pmareschal wrote:Hello,

I was just wondering, to push customization further, if it could be conceivable to get the Day dial in other languages than English?
I suppose that Day dial could easily be provided in other languages and swapped at owner's request.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Pierre

PS: I have another watch where the Day dial is actually bi-lingual. So there are actually 2 x 7 slots with day names in alternate language.

Its my understanding that all the watches are assembled in Switzerland and then shipped to UK.

If this is correct, then by the time you order , its too late because you can only order from the stock already shipped to the UK.

The customisation would require a one off to be assembled in Switzerland. I enquired about having a twin flag logo added to a one off watch recently and was told it would add about £3000 to the cost of the watch. Thats why the customisation only really applies to batches of approx 50/60 watches as the £3000 gets split between all 50 and then only adds £60 to each watch.
CHRIS
pmareschal

Post by pmareschal »

Thank you all for your prompt replys.
From what I understand, kind of a logistic nightmare.
Thanks.
P.
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

What do you think?

Best regards,

Pierre

I noted the 'double-English' day wheel on my C60 day/date and also thought it was a possible missed opportunity.

My C20 Lido has a French/Swiss and English day option, so I was a little surprised not to see the same when the C60 day/date arrived.

Not that it made much difference to me being English myself!
Yank
CW-watches: 4

Post by Yank »

This thread brought a thought to my mind in that some traditions only number 1-7 the days of the week rather than name them. Anyone have an idea if CW would customize a day wheel with only numbers, or alternately as a second "language" numbers 1-7?
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by hughesyn »

I can't believe CW ordered double English date version of the movement instead of the typical French English.

The only advantage of the all English version is it's slightly less confusing to customers.

So basically they want to avoid phone calls saying "my watch is in French".
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

hughesyn wrote:I can't believe CW ordered double English date version of the movement instead of the typical French English.

The only advantage of the all English version is it's slightly less confusing to customers.

So basically they want to avoid phone calls saying "my watch is in French".
^^^Nail on head.

Ive read many forum post from seiko 5 owners complaining the day is in Arabic etc.

Also if they put different language, which do they choose? Theyd open them selves up to having to stock 10 variations of each model to cater for common languages.

As for the number idea suggested by "yank", I think this would get too easily confused with the date when glancing at your watch quickly.
CHRIS
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

My only two watches with a day wheel are the Makos. They are both in English and Spanish.

If everyone had a Portuguese one the world would be a happier place on Fridays. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
If everyone had a Portuguese one the world would be a happier place on Fridays. :D
Why? Is the Portuguese for Friday "Crunchy"? 8)
Steve.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No. It’s Sexta Feira.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:No. It’s Sexta Feira.
Ooooooh! :wink:
Steve.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

DISJT wrote:

What do you think?

Best regards,

Pierre

Its my understanding that all the watches are assembled in Switzerland and then shipped to UK.

If this is correct, then by the time you order , its too late because you can only order from the stock already shipped to the UK.

The customisation would require a one off to be assembled in Switzerland. I enquired about having a twin flag logo added to a one off watch recently and was told it would add about £3000 to the cost of the watch. Thats why the customisation only really applies to batches of approx 50/60 watches as the £3000 gets split between all 50 and then only adds £60 to each watch.
To me this says - and I can understand why - that commercially this would be a PITA which we'd rather not have to deal with, thank you.

I have several Valjoux/ETA 7750's with Italian or German day wheels - maybe I should look into getting them swapped to English.

My suggestion is that you write to CW and ask them about feasibility and cost. If that's a non-starter you'd be looking at a good watch maker able and willing to replace your wheel for you and ideally have the contacts to source it for you. If ETA or whomever manufacture a day wheel it's then just a screwdriver job.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands