Dennison Denco 53E

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Dennison Denco 53E

Post by Sabbath »

I haven't been on here for a while, whilst I tried to assess my little collection and work out where I wanted to get. I've been reducing my collection down for a while and would like to it to remain fairly static in the future with maybe the odd change every year or 2 if I felt like it.

I have 4 long term keepers in the collection:
Rolex DJ - Silver, 36mm, fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet
Rolex Exp 16570 - Polar on vintage leather
Rolex SubC Date - on Everest rubber
Farer Endeavour - on NATOs and my holiday watch

I wanted an allrounder to accompany the 4.

After much searching I found number 5: The Dennsion Denco53E

It is a genuine allrounder:
Can be dressed up sufficently for a dress watch
Can be dressed down casually to be worn with a pair of shorts
Great size at 38mm and 20mm straps
100wr with a screw down crown, so good for swimming
Sapphire crystal
Highest grade 2824 at chronometer standard so easy to service
Very durable and reliable - tested by explorer Jon Gupta for over a year
E stands for Explorer
The case and bezel is about 10 mm high, with another 2mm to the top of the domed crystal
Cases made in England using the same machines that made the cases for Rolex, JLC, Omega et all back in the day
Out of interest it came with 2 straps and a high quality handmade leather watch roll

I am extremely happy with it and its a great addition to make it a 5. I'm hoping that is it and that I'm done for the foreseeable.

I have all bases covered. I know some people would say some colour or a chronograph is needed but I have added those in the past and they never last long.

A bit of a shout up for Toby who owns Dennsion, he was a pleasure to deal with and put up with my 1001 questions and dithering on which version to choose.

For once I tried to choose a watch with both my heart and my head and it was... difficult to say the least. It has worked though as I have a winner.

Some pictures of the Denco on various straps

The last 2 straps: dark tan and grey are the Dennison ones I chose to come with the watch.

I've currently left it on the green fabric steveostrap.

Mark
7ee
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Dennison Denco 53E

Post by 7ee »

Actually first time I've seen one of these in the wild. Nice watch, congrats.
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior

Post by keepitsimple »

It's nice, in fact very nice, and a very good size.

It looks like it's another venerable English manufacturing name and trademark that's been left dormant long enough to be bought up - about 50 years I reckon. That's fine, but to my mind it's a bit disingenuous to cite the former company history to try to add some value/provenance only on the basis of using some of their old machinery.

Dennisons were primarily case makers for other manufacturers, so apart from the cases on these presumably being made from scratch, and the movement being Swiss, any info you found about where it is assembled and the origins of the other components ? (Noted that it does say Swiss Made. I know the limitations of that designation, but I thought it meant at least that it had to be cased up and finally inspected in Switzerland not Brum :wink:)

Dennisons were on Soho Hill until the late 60's when they closed down, so I guess the old machinery must have been stored away somewhere. Be interesting to know where they are now - the website is pretty vague.

An interesting and attractive watch anyhow. Sadly, for me, filed away under the "nice and I'd love one, but massively overpriced" category where it now joins the IWC MkXVIII tribute to the Mk XI.

PS - looks best on the dark tan strap in the last pictures I reckon.
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

I quite like the history element part of the name, as it does bring a little something and is certainly a talking point. All manufacturers move on, change direction and use different methods or resources, etc

I like the fact that a company once known as a case maker is now once again making cases. I am unaware of where they are actually put together, but it does feel extremely well done.

Value and cost is very individual. Yes at face value they do appear to be over priced and expensive. However as a complete item not horrendously so.

You are getting quite a package for the money and it genuinely is a one watch - should you like the style.

For me I'm hoping it will save me money, in the long run, as my go anywhere do anything watch, especially for when a Rolex isn't appropriate. It covers so many bases I don't want or need another.

Yes there are much cheaper watches out there that appear to be good/better value. How many times have we bought a watch for value and ended up flipping it. this time I have bought a watch for a purpose and the one I wanted without value being part of it. In the long run I believe this will prove to be an astute buy for me.

The other thing I would add is that the most important aspect of a watch for me is that it must feel special to me on the wrist - this does - to me. The sum of the parts is greater than individual (or something like that)
Mark
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior

Post by keepitsimple »

Sabbath wrote:.... How many times have we bought a watch for value and ended up flipping it.
Personally never, although there are a few that don't get worn that often.

But I know you've documented quite a cyclic history of your own collection in the past :)
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

keepitsimple wrote:
Sabbath wrote:.... How many times have we bought a watch for value and ended up flipping it.
Personally never, although there are a few that don't get worn that often.

But I know you've documented quite a cyclic history of your own collection in the past :)
Unfortunately I have on many occasion. :D
Mark
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Congratulations Mark. Not a watch I've seen before and for sure, the Explorer influence is quite clear. In fact, it has the one feature that puts me off the Explorer - the polished bezel, so for that reason, I'd be buying something else - probably a Bremont.

However, it's good to see you supporting another "British" brand. :thumbup:
Richard
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

I'm pretty certain that this is an original Dennison case:
ImageIMG_1582 by Paul Drawmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1579 by Paul Drawmer, on Flickr
There's always time for one more.
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

downer wrote:Congratulations Mark. Not a watch I've seen before and for sure, the Explorer influence is quite clear. In fact, it has the one feature that puts me off the Explorer - the polished bezel, so for that reason, I'd be buying something else - probably a Bremont.

The explorer influence is all over the watch but with more versatility with the date and they way it takes various straps. It's also a great size.

Regarding the Polished bezel. It was one of the reasons I plumped for this model, again because it adds more versatliy to it.

I originally went for this version; but I thought I would then want another dress watch to full fill my requirements.

This one is certainly more casual but perhaps not really me long term.

On the British theme, I wanted to supplement the three Rolex with British. Other brands I like the look of are: Vertex, Fears, Pinion
Mark
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

Paul ^^^^
Looks interesting. I think they stamped Dennison inside the case backs. Unfortunately this makes it tricky to confirm
Mark
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Mark good to see you back posting, even better it's with a lovely watch

I found this article which is an interesting read http://wornandwound.com/dennison-watche ... htsbridge/
Neil
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

neil8fletcher3 wrote:Mark good to see you back posting, even better it's with a lovely watch

I found this article which is an interesting read http://wornandwound.com/dennison-watche ... htsbridge/
Thanks Neil, yes I thought that was an interesting read too
Mark
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Pleased to hear that the three Rolex are safe in the collection. As to the question of a chronograph or more colourful addition, I always take the view buy what you are comfortable with, not what someone else would say re “gaps” in a collection.

The new addition looks to be a spot on size and I like the dial and hands, they work well together and have a vintage vibe. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

nbg wrote:Pleased to hear that the three Rolex are safe in the collection. As to the question of a chronograph or more colourful addition, I always take the view buy what you are comfortable with, not what someone else would say re “gaps” in a collection.

The new addition looks to be a spot on size and I like the dial and hands, they work well together and have a vintage vibe. :thumbup:

Neil
Neil
Yes they are safe, I'm hoping these 5 stay together for quite some time.

I think that I've always bought what I wanted just not always what I was comfortable with. By that I mean that I have bought watches I have liked the look of but not always considered what would suit me or my style.

I agree with your commenst regarding the Denco - lovely dial and hands in a ideal size and all with a vintage vibe
Mark
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Sabbath wrote:
downer wrote:Congratulations Mark. Not a watch I've seen before and for sure, the Explorer influence is quite clear. In fact, it has the one feature that puts me off the Explorer - the polished bezel, so for that reason, I'd be buying something else - probably a Bremont.

The explorer influence is all over the watch but with more versatility with the date and they way it takes various straps. It's also a great size.

Regarding the Polished bezel. It was one of the reasons I plumped for this model, again because it adds more versatliy to it.

I originally went for this version; but I thought I would then want another dress watch to full fill my requirements.

This one is certainly more casual but perhaps not really me long term.

On the British theme, I wanted to supplement the three Rolex with British. Other brands I like the look of are: Vertex, Fears, Pinion
Congrats on a fine watch, these are stunning and the historical connections are to be admired. Certainly a great name to bring back to life. I like the way you often like to showcase small British brands or seek out brands that sell in small numbers. I see your watch also shares another attribute of the Rolex Explorer in its very reflective crystal. Something that would put me off from a purchase but I have to say I love that beadblasted/ gold accent version.

For the money however it's a tough one to consider, my 7mm thick longines flagship on bracelet lacks the water resistance but makes up for it with its £700 price tag come sale time and now Dennison face direct competition design wise via Tudors 1926 which is bloody good value for money around £1300.

Dennison should really offer a bracelet but it is a brand I have looked at many times. I would certainly choose one over a Vertex or a (lol) Fears or a PINION or a Meridean but Bremobts Airco Mach 2 has a hold over me.
I miss all the great things that may never be.