Omega Sceptic?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Omega Sceptic?

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

I've noticed a fair few of you seem to have an Omega Seamaster/Speedy or three in your rather awesome collections, with lots of raving about how great they are.

I've had a look at a few online and in stores, but I just don't get whats quite so special about them?
Yes, they're lovely watches and i'd probably enjoy owning one, but there are also lots of other lovely watches i'd possibly enjoy more- i have a particular liking for the styling of some of the Breitlings.

Am i missing something? If i had several grand burning a hole in my watch buying pocket, what is it i'm getting they i might not with other watches? Is it just the history? a superior build quality for the price?

As a relative newbie to the world of the finer timepiece, I'm genuinely here to be convinced and educated by the good members and Omega gurus of the forum that there is something a bit special about those little bits of shiny metal :god:
So many watches, yet still so little time!
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Omega Sceptic?

Post by gaf1958 »

My take is that if you're not keen on them, buy something else that you prefer. Just because they're popular with some, myself included, doesn't mean they're for everyone. I personally love many Omegas, but there are only a couple of Breitlings that do it for me - and many Omegas that don't.

Vive la différence!
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Omega Sceptic?

Post by jtc »

We're all wannabe astronauts at heart!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

What Gary said.

I feel much the same about Rolex. I have no doubt they are truly fine watches but try as I might, and, having tried on probably 25 models over the last couple of years, they leave me totally cold.

The simple answer is that I just won't buy a Rolex. Not for me at all.

On the other hand, Grand Seiko, which many might dismiss as a lesser brand, totally gets my pulse up. As does Bremont which to me feels beautifully made and preferable to any Rolex I have handled.

It really is horses for courses and that's what makes this hobby(?!) so interesting. There's room for everyone.

Buy what makes YOU happy. No excuses needed.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by theemaadhatter »

Buy a watch, not a brand.
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

theemaadhatter wrote:Buy a watch, not a brand.
This. I own (and love) a mid-size Seamaster. Not because it was the ultimate diver for me, as much as it was more readily available than the other 2 compact divers on my "want" list, and I couldn't pass it up at the price. I am still watching for a Zenith Rainbow Elite or Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 38 to try. Omega's are great watches, to be sure. But they are also very common, and easy to acquire used, making them great gateway watches. I don't think this is a bad thing. I love my SMP, and buying it confirmed that I wanted a compact thin diver in the watch box. If I acquire one of the other 2, the SMP may stay or it may go. Either way, I don't regret one bit owning it. If you find an Omega you like (or any other watch), buy it. Keep it or move it along. Learn from the experience. It's all part of this strange hobby we have.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

buy what you like, enjoy it. don't worry about what other people think.

i like my omegas, but i wouldn't try to convince you to buy one, any more than i'd try to convince you to buy anything else. if they don't call to you, they don't.
the "g" is for Greg...
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Lavaine's post made me think of something... If you find an Omega that you like, used but in good condition, and you subsequently decide it's not for you after all, popular ones retain their value well when resold. Maybe not Rolex value retention, but better than almost any other brand (in their price range).
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

I'm not actually looking to buy one, I'm just trying to understand what it is that attracts so many people to them?

I've always loved the shape of the Porsche 911, but having chatted about them with someone who had one, his opinion was its a great car but he'd never have another due to the offset pedals that he found uncomfortable- yet others would buy nothing else.

Like i said in the opening post, the world of the four figures and above watch is a new one to me, i'm just trying to understand what some find so special about them? I do find them a little plain, but maybe thats it? personal taste! Where I like something a little eye catching, the calm simplicity of the classic design is the attraction to others? or is there a secret button that makes you more attractive to women, gets you a promotion at work, flattens your belly and grows your hair back....if so, i'm in! :lol:
So many watches, yet still so little time!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

When I bought my Big Two, using money left to me in each case, it had to be a watch I had long desired as it was to be a memento of a loved one.

In the case of the Tank Solo, Cartier was a brand I had dreamed of owning for a long while. This one fit the wrist and the pocket when my uncle’s legacy began to come through. Why Cartier? A question of style - the rectangular cases and huge Roman numerals are just fabulous and a little old-fashioned.

When Mum left us I knew there was one special watch that stood out. Most of Omega's range didn’t tick my boxes, but the Moonwatch did. A timely event at my local AD helped to push the button.

Cartier for the brand and Omega for the individual watch. No regrets on either! If I never buy another expensive watch I will always have these two and consider myself lucky. But I’d love a Santos!

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

And what a cracking two watches they are!
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Cheers, Greg. Maybe the Santos for my retirement watch? :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jtc wrote:We're all wannabe astronauts at heart!
Indeed. Or James Bond! :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Omega Sceptic?

Post by gaf1958 »

NotEnoughWrists wrote:I do find them a little plain, but maybe thats it? personal taste! Where I like something a little eye catching, the calm simplicity of the classic design is the attraction to others?
Plain? :wink:

Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

They are not plain or loud so could be perceived as somewhere in between.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.