What a collection!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: What a collection!

Post by golfjunky »

An Aston can stand out and say flashy as much as s Ferrari does
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

DISJT wrote:I'm clearly not PP's target market.

Even if I had the money I still wouldn't buy one for the same reason I'd choose an Aston Martin over a Ferrari.

Some people like to stand out in a crowd and be the center of attention and others don't.
PP certainly seem to have the former well catered for and no doubt make a very healthy profit doing so.

If people demand watches that scream "look at me and all the money I've got" then you can't blame the manufacturer for giving them what they want .

Thankfully there is a seemingly endless supply of watches and manufacturers that cater to my tastes too.

I certainly wouldn't take offence if someone ridiculed my watch collection. There are far more important things to get upset about.
I would also choose an Aston over a Ferrari.

I very much doubt if many of us on this forum are PPs target market, given that a high proportion of their annual output is understated stuff like this:
Now on the other hand this is far more likely to stand out in a crowd:
I don't own the PP :( , but I do own the Trident :).

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

Caller wrote:
sinner777 wrote:I have seen this.. And all the money in the World cant buy you taste.

Patek Pilot to be worn in gym?

Carbon AP that he referers to as ceramic?

I think that he menitioned in one part that he wears Patek on dates because woman recognize the brand.

I will just leave it there...
You don't care for the PP's (diamond ones excluded)? Not enough 'taste' for you in a PP? Prefer a good old CW Trident then? Why shouldn't he wear a watch to impress? I hear that all the time here - so called dress watches for the right occasion and all that guff, watches to be worn with a suit, watches to be worn when you are tying up your shoelaces? (Oh okay, I admit I made that one up, but you get my gist).

There is quite frankly too much sneering 'superiority' in this thread for comfort.
And again... No money can buy you good taste. I see nothing in his "collection" that is not for show off. Its like disgusting photos of Rich kids of instagram. If thats okay with you, than I am ok with my 'superiority'. I like my crappy watches for what they are, not for what other people think of them.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

sinner777 wrote:And again... No money can buy you good taste. I see nothing in his "collection" that is not for show off.
Wow, you really are a sourpuss, aren't you. What's money got to do with it? Is that the issue for you, that he has money to do so? Personally, I am judging the watches, not the man - who I have never heard of - and I think his collection of PP's, bar the diamond encrusted stuff as it's not for me, is stunning!

As for showing off such watches, nbg dealt with that above.

And of course, 'taste' is a very personal thing.

You clearly suffer from a lack of it. :D
'Tis me
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

Caller wrote:
DISJT wrote:I'd choose an Aston Martin over a Ferrari.
Oh so would I, any day!

Not sure it's a relevant comparison though?
Possibly a bad analogy. I love Ferrari's and have fulfilled a dream and actually driven one, my point was that they are a car that will get you noticed in a hurry. And yes a car enthusiast will also notice an Aston but they are not generally the cars you grow up with posters of on your bedroom wall and (generally speaking) are a lot less flash

I'm sure PP make a multitude of watches I'd like, I merely said they have the bling market well catered for.

I feel numerous people on this forum deliberately miss the general point of peoples comments and home in to a specific detail to which they take exception.
So for clarification, to me, this is a watch forum, we discuss watches, a rather qaint and somewhat ridiculous hobby in the great scheme of things but it keeps me happy. I therefore do not get offended when someone has a different view to me and certainly don't intend to offend anyone else. I understand people are passionate about their hobby but life's short and there are far greater wars to fight than someone "insulting" your preferred watch brand.
CHRIS
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

Caller wrote:
sinner777 wrote:And again... No money can buy you good taste. I see nothing in his "collection" that is not for show off.
Wow, you really are a sourpuss, aren't you. What's money got to do with it? Is that the issue for you, that he has money to do so? Personally, I am judging the watches, not the man - who I have never heard of - and I think his collection of PP's, bar the diamond encrusted stuff as it's not for me, is stunning!

As for showing off such watches, nbg dealt with that above.

And of course, 'taste' is a very personal thing.

You clearly suffer from a lack of it. :D
And you clearly suffer from lack of some basic manners. Have a great day.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Girls, Girls, Girls. lets take a chill pill. some of you think his collection is horrible and others dont. we dont all have to like the same thing and as has been mentioned we are all here because we like watches, just as Pras does.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

nbg wrote:
stefs wrote:I have just rewatched this and I counted 7 that I liked. All pp. I must also have no taste whatsoever!

Although he may have his faults and not have the finest horological knowledge you can’t deny his passion for his choices.
I think I said 6 in my initial response (all PP) - I excluded the open dial concept Aquanaut, hence only 6.

Neil
Ah that was the difference as I still included it. Still an aquanaut just with a hole in it!
Cheers now, Paul
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

NBG,

I really hadn't considered that someone might call the blue Trident "showy / flash"

Probably a good thing I hadn't , otherwise i might not of bought one.

Mind you, no one has ever commented on it, so maybe I need to rethink the diamond encrustations!
CHRIS
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ @DISJT - No to the diamonds! :shock:

I think the reality, is that no one really notices any of the watches we wear - and I am pleased that is the case. :)

I couldn't resist posting those two watches, because given many of the posts on the thread about PP being showy watches I thought I would redress the balance. :lol:

Clearly the blue 38 Trident is less showy than diamond encrusted stuff, but I think anyone would have great difficulty in rationally arguing the case that the PP was a more "look at me showy" watch, just because it's a PP.

(I realise that you are not saying that PP is showy :)).

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

Strangely the only watch I own that people have ever commented on is the far from showy...

CHRIS