A place to discuss other watch-brands
Lorne
Senior
Senior

Re: Watches for explorers and adventurers

Post by Lorne »

hughesyn wrote:
Lorne wrote:
One of my kids came up with the tag line above, which I have to say is actually very accurate
If the would be thief has been keeping up with the watch forums they might think 'That guy designed and produced his own bespoke chronograph, he must have a wallet stuffed with dollars and a bag holding an iphone and laptop.'
But literally several hours studying the master chameleon, Inspecteur Clouseau, and I also have an uncanny ability to blend so seamlessly into the surroundings they would never even suspect.

Actually, wearing socks with shorts is a bit of a 'I think he's English' giveaway
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

nordwulf wrote:I recently got this Alpina Alpiner 4 and fits the adventurer and exploration team quite nicely. I know it goes against the original rules of size (44mm) and having a rotating bezel but everything else is just right about these watches. Looks good on nato, rubber, leather and bracelet. Has anti-magnetic and anti-shock properties and a reasonable 100m water resistance. And it is affordable at around $800.

Wish they would do a version without rotating bezel at 41mm.

WOW, that has to be one of the nicest looking watches I've ever seen.
Curse my childlike wrists!
What size is your wrist nord? Looks to be a perfect fit for you, to me.
CHRIS
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

Are watch retailers stupid or do they assume we are?

£992 ON BRACELET

£1170 ON LEATHER??

so...£178 EXTRA FOR LEATHER STRAP??

BUT THE LEATHER STRAP IS ONLY £100 TO BEGIN WITH??

So..... if i buy it on a bracelet and buy a leather strap AS WELL, i pay £78 less and get more.???

I'm baffled.
CHRIS
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

DISJT wrote:So..... if i buy it on a bracelet and buy a leather strap AS WELL, i pay £78 less and get more.???

I'm baffled.
It's not the first time I've seen that, nor do I expect it to be the last. It's nonetheless beyond my understanding too...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

gaf1958 wrote:
DISJT wrote:So..... if i buy it on a bracelet and buy a leather strap AS WELL, i pay £78 less and get more.???

I'm baffled.
It's not the first time I've seen that, nor do I expect it to be the last. It's nonetheless beyond my understanding too...
Seems perverse.

Except you can buy the strap version, whereas you may only 'add to wishlist' for the bracelet version.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

As if that wasn't confusing enough, i've just spent the last hour trying to figure out the import duty / tax from US to UK.

Tax is standard 20% but the import duty is a minefield. Have to look up the "duty code" for a mechanical watch without stopwatch, thats not made of precious metal, or coated in precious metal but does have automatic winding. Then you get the "duty code" and state the country of origin and it still doesn't give you a bloody exact percentage to add, just an assumed 4.5%?

so the watch is only $799 form jomashop, $75 delivery, and £170 import duty / vat

Comes out at approx £839 on the leather strap.
CHRIS
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

That appears to be a pricing mistake on their website. When you check prices in USD, the strap version is $1,395 and the bracelet is $1,495. Mine has the bracelet but I haven't unwrapped it yet. Lug width is 22mm and it tapers to 18mm at the clasp so probably pretty comfortable to wear.
DISJT wrote:WOW, that has to be one of the nicest looking watches I've ever seen.
My wrists are 7.5". These are 44mm but they wear very nice. It's just 1mm larger than the C60 but the silver bezel doesn't make it look too big. I wanted to get smaller watches like 40 - 42mm but I just love this Alpimer. Accuracy of +2 spd per day in the last week is pretty nice as well.
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

nordwulf wrote:That appears to be a pricing mistake on their website. When you check prices in USD, the strap version is $1,395 and the bracelet is $1,495. Mine has the bracelet but I haven't unwrapped it yet. Lug width is 22mm and it tapers to 18mm at the clasp so probably pretty comfortable to wear.
DISJT wrote:WOW, that has to be one of the nicest looking watches I've ever seen.
My wrists are 7.5". These are 44mm but they wear very nice. It's just 1mm larger than the C60 but the silver bezel doesn't make it look too big. I wanted to get smaller watches like 40 - 42mm but I just love this Alpimer. Accuracy of +2 spd per day in the last week is pretty nice as well.
Cheers for the info, unfortunately the Trident 43mm seemed huge on my 6.75" wrist so all 3 of my tridents are 38mm. I've got a 40mm seiko and orient and they are about the limit before watches begin to look comical.
Ive looked for a local stockist to try on the Alpina but they're few a very far between in my little corner of the world.

Anyway, thanks again. (think I've hijacked this thread for long enough - sorry folks)
CHRIS
Lorne
Senior
Senior

Post by Lorne »

DISJT wrote:
nordwulf wrote:That appears to be a pricing mistake on their website. When you check prices in USD, the strap version is $1,395 and the bracelet is $1,495. Mine has the bracelet but I haven't unwrapped it yet. Lug width is 22mm and it tapers to 18mm at the clasp so probably pretty comfortable to wear.
Cheers for the info, unfortunately the Trident 43mm seemed huge on my 6.75" wrist so all 3 of my tridents are 38mm. I've got a 40mm seiko and orient and they are about the limit before watches begin to look comical.
Ive looked for a local stockist to try on the Alpina but they're few a very far between in my little corner of the world.

Anyway, thanks again. (think I've hijacked this thread for long enough - sorry folks)
Big watch on a little wrist all depends on the strap. Skip the Alpina standard strap, go to the watchobsession website, buy a Hirsch curved end strap and a Hirsch deployment buckle. They're exactly what you need.

44 mm by 14 mm thick chronograph on my equally skinny wrist, no slipping around or down the wrist and not buckled up as tight as f@@k:

DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

Cheers Lorne. I'd be prepared to go down that route if I could find one locally to try on initially. Its too much of a gamble importing the watch first, and paying all the associated customs fees, to risk for me.

For now it shall remain on my "wanted" list along with Tudor Pelagos blue
Tudor Pelagos LHD
Tudor Black bay red
Orient bambino white
Seiko skx009
Etc
Etc
Ad infinitum (awaiting AVO's report on my dodgy Latin)
CHRIS
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

If the C60 already looks huge on your wrist, the Alpiner 44mm will look even slightly bigger. The case size is actually 45mm and the bezel is 44mm.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

tikkathree wrote:
neil8fletcher3 wrote:How about this one Seiko SARB017 think it meets most of the criteria
Twice I have tried to develop a lasting affection for the Alpinist. Twice I have fallen foul of the slightly diminutive case size. Love the overall, love the look, love the lume.

Maybe if I needed a watch to slip easily under a waterproof jacket cuff, not catch on ropes and so on, I'd try for a third time.
I bought the SARB017 as well but just didn't bond with it. It was just a bit to flashy and shiny (kitschy?) and legibility wasn't all that great. More of a dress watch that wants to be toolish but missed the mark. 38mm was just a bit too small. I have another Seiko that came with a bracelet and that fitted the SARB017 great which was a nice combination. But the SARB017 was returned to Amazon. It just didn't live up to the hype for me.

nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

But the reason for resurrecting this thread is that I was looking at Damasko again and found a lightly used 7-month old custom-ordered DA36 without the external AR coating. Looks like new so a good chance to give this one a try without taking the first depreciation hit. I looked at the North Flag as well (similar yellow accents) but the DA36 seems like the better high-tech and more durable watch? Should be here something next week and excited about trying it out. And first German made watch for me. :thumbup:

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Nowt wrong with a Damasko (apart from being on the small side of my preference).

If anything there's an awful lot right with them.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Nowt wrong with a Damasko (apart from being on the small side of my preference).

If anything there's an awful lot right with them.
Totally agree - they are quality pieces and seem virtually bomb-proof. Despite being worn regularly, mine doesn’t have a mark on it. Congrats Frank - I’m sure you’ll love it! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard