Watches for explorers and adventurers

A place to discuss other watch-brands
nordwulf

Watches for explorers and adventurers

Post by nordwulf »

I am looking for the perfect everyday watch with the following characteristics below. This thread is a way to organize what I have found so far and looking for input from others with their suggestions.

- 39 to 41mm, Could go 1mm over or under.
- light-weight: about 75g max for head only and 150g on bracelet
- low height: prefer 11mm or less but 12mm is ok.
- very legible during the day and night
- no rotating bezel or fixed bezels with any markings.
- should have some antimagnetic, antishock and low/high temperature operating range features to make it tough enough to use in the field.
- good quality automatic movement. At least an ETA/Selitta/6R15 or inhouse
- regular lug shapes so you can easily change bracelets and 2-piece/nato straps
- unobtrusive but legible date window
- reasonable water resitance for swimming, rafting, kayaking, snorkeling etc so 10 bar or higher.
- should be mostly toolish looking but some shiny bits like polished surfaces and dial elements are ok
- a watch you can wear for 10-20+ years and still be able to get it serviced and repaired

Price is not mentioned because a $3000 watch that lasts 30 year is only $100 per year. A $1000 watch that only lasts 5 years costs $200 per year. So price, value, quality and long-term serivce/repairs are all important.

The grandmaster of them all: Rolex Explorer - 39mm - $6000

Cons: no date, high price, it's a Rolex, service and repairs can be expensive, more dress than tool
Pros: it's a Rolex, great quality, lasts forever

Tudor Heritage Ranger - 41mm - $3000

Cons: design a bit understated, doesn't look like an expensive watch, no date
Pros: doesn't look like an expensive watch

Tudor North Flag - 40mm - $3675

Cons: integrated lugs, bright yellow accent colors
Pros: modern design, has all other requirements, the modern explorer tool watch

This fictional watch: The NWC Adventurer 41mm - $750

Cons: not much brand recognition, unknown if it will be servicable and repairable for 20+ years
Pros: perfect balanced design, SW-200 movement, easy and inexpensive to service, low price

These are just a few examples and mostly for the type of watch this thread is about. I am sure there are many more and not only from Swiss companies. Damasko and Sinn have some great choices as well. Not sure if there are any Japanese companies that make these kind of watches.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: Watches for explorers and adventurers

Post by smegwina »

For me, the ultimate explorer watch is the Bremont MBii.

Toughened case, anti mag, additional shock protection for the movement, works with huge numbers of straps and although 43mm, it does not wear that large.

But, I don't think you can have a list like this without considering Damasko and Sinn.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

Damasko Da36
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I know you have said no bezel markings but:

I don't think you can go wrong with a 40mm 16570 Explorer II - black or white dial you choose. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

German watchmaker Ickler has the Archimede Outdoor Proetect with a hardened brushed steel case in 39mm and SW-200 movement. They are now for their quality case manufacturing but the brand is mostly unknown.

€780.00 - €820.00 incl VAT, many different colors avaialable

https://www.archimede-watches.com/watch ... tdoor.html

ImageImage
The Sports Utility Watch (SUW)

Sports like climbing, biking or surfing call for the lightest, high performance equipment that give total reliability. Like any other piece of equipment a watch has a function to perform. The new ARCHIMEDE Outdoor is made to fulfil that role.

The clean, luminous dial and hands are designed for perfect readability even in low light. The hardened ICKLER steel case is equal to the most demanding environments and now has the screw-down crown proven on the SportTaucher diver. It is water resistant to 20 ATM and has a solid screw-down case back protecting the reliable Swiss SW 200-1 movement.

We designed the Outdoor from scratch to fulfil these criteria:

- Lightweight: 75g with leather strap, 125g with steel bracelet
- Medium size: a comfortable 39mm
- Thickness: a thin 11,2mm
- Robust and precise
- SUW: The Sport Utility Watch for all outdoor sports & activities and for every day

The rugged Outdoor is available with solid steel bracelet, original Fixoflex ® expansion band, leather and silcon strap. The leather and steel bands can be extended so that they can be worn over a worm jacket.
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by keepitsimple »

Seiko SARG009 or SARG011 made for the JDM, if you can still get one as I think they may have been discontinued recently.

The forum won't allow me to add a picture, but review and pics are on:- https://yeomanseiko.com/2014/06/12/seik ... l-sarg011/

6r15 Movement. Good lume. Good size - just over 40mm. Conventional strap (20mm lugs) or bracelet. Sapphire crystal and back. Date but thankfully NO CYCLOPS. Very well made. Hacks and hand winds if needed.

Similar to Heritage Ranger, but a fraction of the price. Great value for money. Con is no screw down crown and only 10bar water resistance.

I tried a Heritage Ranger at a local dealer despite having a view that they are massively over-priced just because of their Rolex ownership. It looked too large on me, and for the price asked it didn't scream the sort of quality you'd expect, especially the very nasty and sharp edged clasp.

Bought the Seiko SARG011 instead, and I'm delighted with it. The Seiko strap it comes with doesn't suit it, and I don't like that style of deployment, but both are easily and cheaply remedied. I've not seen the bracelet version "in the flesh".

The benefit is....... you could put all the cash left over towards a future purchase of the watch you really should get :thumbup:, which is the Explorer I of course, although in my case, the Seiko gets more wrist time than that does.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Stick with the rolex explorer. Job done. Right size, will last longer than us and understated quality. Simples
Cheers now, Paul
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

The Seamaster AT is marketed with boating heritage and does have good antimagnetic properties. Not sure if it will be tough enough to endure some knocking around. Looks a bit more dressy than tool. Does it fit in with the others?

Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

nordwulf wrote:The Seamaster AT is marketed with boating heritage and does have good antimagnetic properties. Not sure if it will be tough enough to endure some knocking around. Looks a bit more dressy than tool. Does it fit in with the others?

What makes it less tough than those above it?
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Speedbird III from Timefactors. 39mm, ETA movement, antimagnetic. Looks great on the (really amazing for the price) bracelet, leather, or NATO.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Eterna Kon-Tiki 4-hands

But the previous version is nicer if you can get hold of one.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior

Post by keepitsimple »

nordwulf wrote:The Seamaster AT is marketed with boating heritage and does have good antimagnetic properties.
Actually, as far as antimagnetic goes, it's just about the best !

It's a great watch - but get the smaller version not the 42 (ish) mm, and preferably not the new 2017 version either :thumbdown:

Looks best on a good quality Alligator with the Omega deployment.

It is pretty certainly as tough as the others being talked about, but does look more dressy, which is why it's such a good all-rounder. The lume on mine isn't as stand out as some others.
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior

Post by keepitsimple »

Lavaine wrote:Speedbird III from Timefactors. 39mm, ETA movement, antimagnetic. Looks great on the (really amazing for the price) bracelet, leather, or NATO.
Not to forget the Timefactors PRS25 Smiths Everest either (no date though). Miyota 9015, great value at £245. Bracelet clasp isn't the best, but it looks very good on a hefty leather strap instead.

and

very similar to the Speedbird, the MKii Hawkinge type 48 date - I'm itching to click to buy one (although the version without the date) even though I've too many watches already..... The Speedbird is probably better value given the ETA Movement, but personal preference is towards the slightly different dial aesthetic of the Mkii

The OP is really spoiled for choice I think. There are so many good watches of this type, and undoubtedly loads more not yet mentioned.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

nordwulf wrote:
This fictional watch: The NWC Adventurer 41mm - $750

Cons: not much brand recognition, unknown if it will be servicable and repairable for 20+ years
Pros: perfect balanced design, SW-200 movement, easy and inexpensive to service, low price

These are just a few examples and mostly for the type of watch this thread is about. I am sure there are many more and not only from Swiss companies. Damasko and Sinn have some great choices as well. Not sure if there are any Japanese companies that make these kind of watches.
The NWC Adventurer looks remarkably similar to the CW C65 Trident Classic and/or Vintage. With that in mind, might I suggest the C65 Trident Vintage. It hits many of the points you mentioned except for maybe the antimagnetism.
Drew
fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

Take a look at the Muhle Glashutte Terranaut III Trail and the Muhle 29er.