Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea Dweller 2017

A place to discuss other watch-brands
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea Dweller 2017

Post by tempusmaximus »

The Rolex oyster perpetual sea dweller now 43mm with cyclops .

https://www.deployant.com/baselworld-20 ... a-cyclops/

Bernie
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea Dweller 2017

Post by nbg »

Well that has saved me some money.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

A cyclops on a Sea Dweller? Is nothing sacred?

It's also too big for a Sea Dweller and the red text is just there to get collectors feeling twitchy.

I'll stick with my 40mm SDc, which is just about the perfect dive watch IMHO. :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

But more important than its size and date bubble.... look guys it's got red on it! red!! Wow! I'm gonna lock me in my bedroom with this pic and hang a tie on the door.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Now that is more like it.

The Cyclops is not the end of the world, but the size is a huge improvement, and well worth a look.

Is there a price?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

smegwina wrote:Is there a price?
Expected to be just over £9000.
Bernie
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

tempusmaximus wrote:
smegwina wrote:Is there a price?
Expected to be just over £9000.
Ooh... Peed myself a little there.

That's into DssD territory.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

smegwina wrote:That's into DssD territory.
Yes , expensive .
Bernie
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

I'd have one... :D...but it's way too expensive for me... :(
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Shooter723 »

I like it but I would prefer the submariner
CW C9 5day 40mm white face black leather strap,CW Trident pro 600, Omega seamaster gmt, Orient m-force black, Orient m- force orange, ROLEX day date presidents bracelet , Seiko sarb65, Lumi-nox 8150, to many others to list
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

So whilst window shopping the other week as my other half was looking at make-up in a department store, I had a quick look at Mappin & Webb and within 5 minutes placed my name on the waiting list for a 44mm Deepsea D-Blue (James Cameron) Sea Dweller, with delivery probably Spring/Summer 2018. My other half had no idea what I'd just ordered whilst she was pondering whether to spend £20 on mascara...

What I didn't know at the time was that it's fitted with the 3135 movement which has 48 hrs power reserve whereas the 43mm Black Sea-dweller is fitted with the 3235 movement with up to 70 hrs power.

I'm guessing the 3235 is the better movement, but I prefer the James Cameron dial. I'm not bothered about the case size as it's only 1mm difference, but I would be annoyed if the James Cameron at some point has the upgraded movement, especially given the costs involved.

I'm no Rolex expert, so any comments from those in the know would be appreciated. I'm not locked in to the James Cameron, as they didn't ask for a deposit which was a very nice surprise.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

whatever you think about rolex, that one line of red text seems to have everyone talking!
i personally like the highlight of the red text, though not for reasons of harking back to highly collectable rolexes (that rhetoric just seems silly) - just because it's a good highlight colour on this dial. i personally don't like the cyclops on this model and think they were trying for an 'excitement' too far there.
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

For me, apart from the red dial text - which I quite like - nothing Rolex has done to the new Sea-Dweller improves upon the looks of the old model, though it is still a very nice-looking watch, with enviable capabilities & history.

On the magnifying ‘cyclops’ - for many non-watch geeks that is a key identifier of a sports Rolex, and many expect/demand a Rolex to have one. Personally, I liked it without, but I think it’s a commercial reality that most people rely upon their watch having a date display, hence why so many brands pander to it. However, I think I’m correct in stating that Rolex would always have employed a cyclops on the older Sea Dweller, but for the fact it caused issues at extreme water depths, so this represents somewhat of a correction for them.

The 43mm size is a bit outside my comfort zone, but arguably might suit the thickness of the watch better than the old 40mm diameter. In any case, like most watches with dive bezels, I expect it will wear a little smaller than it otherwise should.

Interestingly, Rolex – for reasons known only to them – often overstate their watch diameters, with some coming in nearly a full 1mm under their stated size. I guess we’ll have to wait for someone to slap some calipers upon it.

For the general public, it'll probably be a welcome, slightly bigger, flashier version of the Submariner, and sell much better than the old one, which was a bit commercially unloved.
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

what-time-is-it wrote:What I didn't know at the time was that it's fitted with the 3135 movement which has 48 hrs power reserve whereas the 43mm Black Sea-dweller is fitted with the 3235 movement with up to 70 hrs power.

I'm guessing the 3235 is the better movement, but I prefer the James Cameron dial. I'm not bothered about the case size as it's only 1mm difference, but I would be annoyed if the James Cameron at some point has the upgraded movement, especially given the costs involved.

I'm no Rolex expert, so any comments from those in the know would be appreciated. I'm not locked in to the James Cameron, as they didn't ask for a deposit which was a very nice surprise.
In terms of the new 3235 movement's comparison with the 3130/3135 used in Submariners & the DSSD, it’s difficult to say, as the 3135, whilst pretty ancient now, is hard to better as a tough, workhorse movement with superb accuracy and good technology, so there’s maybe not a great deal to measurably improve upon in a real-world usage context.

However, an enhanced 70hr power reserve is clearly much better than 48hrs, and it also comes with Rolex’s newer Paraflex shock absorbers, which are supposedly superior to the older Kif versions (also used by many other top brands). Many of the parts are supposed to be new, including the more efficient ‘Chronergy’ escapement, and Rolex have gone back to mounting their jewels within (gold?) chatons, which looks nice if nothing else (not that anyone can see them through the case back). Another probable step forward is the mounting of the automatic-winding rotor on a ball-bearing system (as opposed to the post & sleeve of the 3135), which offers more stability & durability over time, and addresses a known weak point in the 3135.

The 3135 is more proven over time of course, but Rolex don’t tend to rush their new technologies, or issue it without exhaustive testing, so I expect the new calibre to perform well, and their 5-year warranty offers a lot of comfort.

There’s really no reason to expect the 3235 not to be the best movement of its type that Rolex can offer, so I’d think it safe to say it is superior & preferable to the 3135, yes, but aside from the better power reserve, hardly anyone will really notice a big difference in normal use, so I wouldn't let that put me off buying now. Besides, Rolex move at a glacial pace, so you could be waiting forever for them to 'upgrade' the James Cameron, which is already an extremely sought-after piece in it's own right.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Thanks for that, the 70 Hr power reserve is nice to have, but I'm not sure whether I would wear this watch daily, or just on special occasions. It really should be daily, otherwise what's the point I guess.

I'll have a think regarding which is the right model for me, I know the James Cameron model is going for £11000-£11500 as nearly new and are very desirable today, but not sure whether they will be in the longer term. I'll have a chat with the AD, as I'm not sure on lead times for the SD.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris