Seiko SKX vs Orient Mako

A place to discuss other watch-brands
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Seiko SKX vs Orient Mako

Post by eggtronics »

Having reviewed them both, my personal preference is the 007.

But, as has been mentioned a number of times, they're both extremely good value for money - and really it's down to what style interests you most. You can't go wrong with either although I feel the Seiko is slightly better made and is likely to last longer.

https://www.watchitallabout.com/seiko-s ... ch-review/
https://www.watchitallabout.com/orient- ... ch-review/
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Cheers Josh read your review this morning, I think the lug to lug on the SKX would just about fit for me
Neil
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

If you go for the SKX, watch out for the misaligned chapter ring. It's an acknowledged defect on many of the non-Japan made models (the K2 suffix watch). The issue is much less likely to occur on the Japan made variant (J suffix) although you will pay quite a bit more for one.

I have a K variant and have no problems but it's seemingly luck of the draw. If you have even a little OCD it might spoil the enjoyment of the watch.

Accuracy is not bad when it's fully wound at about +/-6 seconds but keeping it wound is the tricky part since you can't manually wind it. Mine only gains that accuracy if I wear it 3 days in a row and the movement has had sufficient wrist time to fully power up. Once the wind drops to less than (guessing here) 40%, accuracy suffers. -30 seconds a day isn't uncommon.

Despite all that, the SKX009 is my most worn watch. There's just something about it that feels 'right' and stylistically I find it to be appropriate for most occasions.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

neil8fletcher3 wrote:One year later and another birthday approaching now I don't have the C61 I'm thinking of getting an SKX and maybe chopping something out the current collection. I've found a few places with the 13 in stock now but looks like the prices have crept up a bit since last year
Do you still have the Mako Neil? A Mako and an SKX make a nice pairing in the watch box. One dressy diver, one pure tool watch. Both remain among my most worn, with the SKX edging out the Mako.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

Both amazing watches. If I didn't already have the Seiko Monster, I'd have bought the SKX long ago.

Also love my Mako, beautiful & been through a lot with it so it'll never leave my collection. Only thing stopping me wearing it more often is the bezel which has seized-up & stuck. A common issue, but no amount of removal, cleaning & adjusting the click spring has freed it up. Need to get my hands on some dry lubricant I think. Also, the rattling hollow end-links do my head in, and firmly resist adjustment, so need to either replace the bracelet or try wedging some foam inside the link, out of sight.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

TG3N wrote:Also, the rattling hollow end-links do my head in, and firmly resist adjustment, so need to either replace the bracelet or try wedging some foam inside the link, out of sight.
My SKX Jubilee was the same way. Fitted a Strapcode Super Oyster and never looked back.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

^^^^^ Cheers, I'll check that bracelet out online when I get a minute. :thumbup:
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Lavaine wrote:
neil8fletcher3 wrote:One year later and another birthday approaching now I don't have the C61 I'm thinking of getting an SKX and maybe chopping something out the current collection. I've found a few places with the 13 in stock now but looks like the prices have crept up a bit since last year
Do you still have the Mako Neil? A Mako and an SKX make a nice pairing in the watch box. One dressy diver, one pure tool watch. Both remain among my most worn, with the SKX edging out the Mako.
I have still got the Mako wearing it today. That's whats attracting me to the SKX now I can have a dressy diver and then the SKX as a tool watch
Neil
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Seiko SKX vs Orient Mako

Post by gaf1958 »

I've owned plenty of SKXs over the years, still have two of them, but until recently I'd never owned a Mako. Then I picked up the US model - sapphire, solid end links, new movement with hacking and hand wind capability along with losing the day pusher in favour of a conventional crown mechanism. Still cheap as chips, especially slightly used.
Still room for both in the collection, would be a shame not to have an SKX as they're great watches.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

Like many others that have commented on this thread, I've owned both of these watches.

I really liked the first Gen Mako/Ray, but hated how delicate the crystal was. Way too easily dinged/scratched. I personally liked the extra date pusher and felt like it set it apart from all the other sub homages. I think they are more dressy than the SKX and look better on leather. I also found that the Orient in house movement is really, really accurate. I bought a 2nd gen Ray not long ago but sent it back because the bezel pip was misaligned. I might try another though.

I love the SKX due to it's ultimate beater capabilities and iconic looks. I put a sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel on it and it's damn near indestructible now. Although I have to put up with it's less than stellar time keeping. I'd like to get an 009 at some point since my other SKX has an aftermarket dial and would like some color in my collection.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

I've been swayed enough can see a place for a SKX in the collection if I move one on so I've been to the sales corner
Neil
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

:thumbup: Good luck with your purchase. Although they are often compared they are really not similar at all style wise IMO, and also wear completely differently due to lug to lug length and weight. There's definitely a place for both in a watch collection.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1