Seiko SKX vs Orient Mako

A place to discuss other watch-brands
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Seiko SKX vs Orient Mako

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Does anyone own both and have a preference for one or the other? I'm planning to put it on a nato strap so the bracelet quality isn't a deciding point. I've seen a Mako with a pepsi bezel for £77 or cheapest I can see an SKX009K is around £105. Last this is there a big difference in quality for the made in Japan version?
Neil
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: Seiko SKX vs Orient Mako

Post by reggie747 »

I have owned both in all available colours and still have a 009 and Orange Mako.
The OO7/9 wears bigger although the head diameter and thickness is effectively the same. I think the SKX is heavier too.
Of the two, my preference is for the Mako just down to its wearability. The lume on the Seiko blows the Mako to bit's though.
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Prefer the mako, ideally the Ray. Three different versions of it now so easy choice although the dials can be reflective as can the crystals which the skx almost escapes. As to Seikos divers I'd look to the new turtle or the gen 2 monster.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Both good watches . I would also go with the Orient , wears smaller and is more comfortable IMO .
Bernie
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

I would go with the SKX009 personally, and I've owned both Orient Mako and Ray but still have the SKX009, purely because the SKX stands out as an icon in its own right, whereas the Mako is more of a sub-alike.

Quality wise, they're both superb value, but as Reggie says, the Seiko lume is nuclear.

Having said this, the Mako looks better on a NATO than the SKX.

Flip a coin :?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Do you want a stylish diver, or a solid, bomb-proof, wear it during the apocalypse watch? The Mako is the former, the Seiko the latter. The Seiko, as stated above, is an icon.
I own both, and wear them both regularly for work. It would be a hard choice if I could keep only one, with the Seiko probably edging out the Orient.
I'm going to go against IAJ here, and say that the Seiko looks much better than the Mako on a Nato. My Mako stays on the bracelet. I tried it once on a Nato, and did not like it. The Seiko on the other hand, only lives on Nato and Maratac composite straps.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Thanks for the comments everyone. At the moment I'm tempted to go with the mako if it wears smaller. The new turtle looks good but is a bit more than I want to spend. Did see a baby tuna as well but think this would be way too big at 47mm. An SKX013 would be a good size but they appear to be discontinued now
Neil
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Personally I'd grab the Seiko over the Orient.

Reasons? I don't like the screw-down crown on the Orient @ the 2 position. I found the Orient felt like a piece of pot metal, light alloy rather than a sold piece of something substantial.

You didn't say what dial colour you're interested in? The Mako blue is a nice colour IMHO but I can't get on with Orient Orange: it's just too flat for me, not vibrant enough.

And you can mod the Seiko to whatever you want.

I own neither watch @ present. I owned a blue Mako and wouldn't have another. The Seiko? yes I'd grab one if I needed another diver in the collection.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Lavaine wrote:Do you want a stylish diver, or a solid, bomb-proof, wear it during the apocalypse watch? The Mako is the former, the Seiko the latter. The Seiko, as stated above, is an icon.
I own both, and wear them both regularly for work. It would be a hard choice if I could keep only one, with the Seiko probably edging out the Orient.
I'm going to go against IAJ here, and say that the Seiko looks much better than the Mako on a Nato. My Mako stays on the bracelet. I tried it once on a Nato, and did not like it. The Seiko on the other hand, only lives on Nato and Maratac composite straps.
Bomb proof, I've got a C61 which I consider a stylish diver so a SKX would add to my collection. I do like the fact its iconic
Neil
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

tikkathree wrote:I can't get on with Orient Orange: it's just too flat for me, not vibrant enough.
I know we're talking Mako here but having had both Ray and Mako (still have the Mako) I found the flat orange to be more on the Ray than Mako....

Ps. How many times could I fit Mako into one sentence :lol:
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

tikkathree wrote:Personally I'd grab the Seiko over the Orient.

Reasons? I don't like the screw-down crown on the Orient @ the 2 position. I found the Orient felt like a piece of pot metal, light alloy rather than a sold piece of something substantial.

You didn't say what dial colour you're interested in? The Mako blue is a nice colour IMHO but I can't get on with Orient Orange: it's just too flat for me, not vibrant enough.

And you can mod the Seiko to whatever you want.

I own neither watch @ present. I owned a blue Mako and wouldn't have another. The Seiko? yes I'd grab one if I needed another diver in the collection.
I'm interested in blue\navy as I've got a black dial C61 so its between these two at the moment

Or

Neil
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

neil8fletcher3 wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone. At the moment I'm tempted to go with the mako if it wears smaller. The new turtle looks good but is a bit more than I want to spend. Did see a baby tuna as well but think this would be way too big at 47mm. An SKX013 would be a good size but they appear to be discontinued now
Try chronograph.com for the skx013. Might have one.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Thanks they have got them

Off on a tangent now anyone with any experience with a SARG005?
Neil
Simon57
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Simon57 »

For me the Mako is the ultimate budget watch. Thats why i own two.

So its obvious what my answer is going to be here.
Christopher Ward x7 // Oris // Tag Heuer // Longines x2 // Nomos // Seiko // Orient x2 // Vostok x2
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Is anyone aware of a UK stockist for either? Thinking I'd like to try them on before I buy

This has started to enter my thoughts it's not a diver and would cost more but I only have one white/light dial so would add some diversity to the collection

Neil