DISJT - Chris - SOTC - Jan 2018

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

So due to the unexpected resurrection of my previous SOTC and some very nice comments from Steve and Bernie yesterday, (thanks Guys) I thought I should do a quick update.

2017 was a bit of a buying frenzy, the money I saved on NOT buying an Omega got spent elsewhere and led to the buying of 11 watches I still own and 3 others I've moved on.

My psychological barrier moved from sub £300 watches to numerous watches around the £500 mark, £530 being the most i've outlaid.

I've toyed with numerous more expensive watches but they are all a substantial jump. £2500 for a Tudor black bay, £3000 for a Pelagos, £3200 - £4000 for an Omega aqua terra. Every time I look, I return to the same thoughts,
1) will it bring me any more joy than the watches I already own? - maybe initially, but my watch lust appears to be fleeting and its not long before i'm looking at the next shiny trinket.
2) will it get worn often enough? - definitely not, between work and being on call, my watches get worn very infrequently.
3) will i regret it? - undoubtably, i struggle to justify £530 on a watch.
4) would the money be better spent / invested elsewhere? - of course it would - so watch fund invested elsewhere.

As of now the 20 slot watch box is full.

It'd be rude not to start with the Christopher Wards

A couple of GMT's

Black one's a keeper, the White would probably be sacrificed IF funds were required.

Dressy Divers

Blue ones a keeper, its a joint favourite. The Vintage? My well documented issues with perceived size are still an issue, I love the design, regret not buying the larger 42mm size so I can't see it staying long term.

Chronograph's

The CW was a 50% off bargain, took a punt thinking it may be too big, and it probably is but I really like it and its my first choice "grab and go".
The Fosters watch was a gift so is staying

Field Watches

The bargain Seiko and my other Favourite, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium - both keepers.

Dress watches

£100 ish bargains, Orient make some fantastic hacking and handwinding automatic budget watches.

Dress / sports watches?
The Tag's in the sales corner, the dressy divers have it licked. The Ellesse was a 21st birthday present so is here to stay.

Spent about 6 months looking for a strap for the Ripcurl, (the original rubber isn't available) and have spent far more than the watch was ever worth trying to match the original strap. It now sits on a £35 leather strap, thats nearly half the original price of the watch. Its clearly a keeper but don't ask me why. I have no idea why I love it, but I do. The Casio was my 17th birthday present so again a keeper.

Casual saturday watches

Indestructable work watches

The Twins
Bought the J variant SKX009 and a K variant SKX007 to compare (theres no difference in quality, the K actually has a better bezel and alignment)
Intended to mod the 007, but now it's here, I like it, just the way it is.

The plan for 2018....
See if there are any watches not getting worn and try to streamline the collection.
Avoid buying any more watches.
Stop buying watch straps just because they are on sale.
CHRIS
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: DISJT - Chris - SOTC - Jan 2018

Post by Scrogg »

DISJT wrote:2017 was a bit of a buying frenzy, the money I saved on NOT buying an Omega got spent elsewhere...
Ironically, 2017 was a bit of a buying frenzy for me as well. The money I spent elsewhere STOPPED me getting an Omega! :oops: :lol:
DISJT wrote:The plan for 2018....
Always good to have a plan...
DISJT wrote:See if there are any watches not getting worn and try to streamline the collection.
Except this won't happen...
DISJT wrote:Avoid buying any more watches.
Nor will this...
DISJT wrote:Stop buying watch straps just because they are on sale.
Nor will this...

...but it's always good to have a plan! :thumbup:
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

It was only this morning that I apologised for missing your original post, the this one popped up! Bloody hell, you’ve been a busy little bunny haven’t you :lol:

Of your new additions, the Orient twins are a particularly nice addition, as is that Hamilton.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I wondered where your white dial Trident GMT was when I read your other SOTC and like you I prefer the look of the black GMT. I’ve thought on many occasions about getting one but I wish the GMT hand was red and that it had a full GMT bezel, so I’ve not done anything positive about trying to get one.

It’s good to see a collection of 38mm Tridents but it’s strange how of the 4 the Vintage’s perceived size is different.

Most of your thoughts on buying more expensive watches are my exact thoughts – I love the idea of a couple of Omega’s or a 3 6 9 Rolex but over £3k for a watch ? That’s big money to me. Maybe this year though :?:
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Well done - you very quickly got that together after my request at 12.50 this morning! :shock: :thumbup:

Some nice pieces you have now added to your collection. I like your new Hamilton, but for me, I'd prefer it in 40mm without 'Titanium' written on the side. My favourites are your two Seiko diver watches (perfect :fondof: ); and Tridents although I prefer those in 43mm.

I wonder if you have doubled up in a few places, such as the Orient watches? Perhaps possibilities there for if you want to sell a few for future purchases.

But I am shocked not to see that fantastic 1981 James Bond watch; and again you may have forgotten your 'GEM': the Star Trek watch :o :shock: I hope you still have these Image Image they have history and a story, so must be special to you!
Dean
matski171
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by matski171 »

Excelent collection Chris. I like your blue Trident as I have the same in my collection and I mainly use it as a dress watch also i do like the Fosters watch, it's that blue colour again.

I am the same I find it hard to justify spending £500 on a watch, that is probably why i turned down the opportunity of owning a Rolex Submariner no date I just couldn't bring myself to spend £5500 on it, I had the money I went to the AD to try on and I just thought to myself I am not retiring and there is no special birthday, do I really need this. In the end I overpaid on my mortgage, so I probably put it to better use, I hope.

Good luck with the rest of your collection.
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

Thanks for all the positive replies.

Scrogg: You know me well and are undoubtedly correct in all cases.

Gaf1958: Thanks Gary, Thankfully(?) my collection is far smaller than yours, I struggle to photograph a single watch without reflections, your collection would take me weeks if not months to document. A rather pleasant problem to have i'd imagine. Let me take this opportunity to thank you for all your contributions though. You, like many others, are always very quick to assist with any enquiries and offer some excellent advice. I also find myself living my watch fantasies vicariously through your many wonderful pictures of your fantastic collection.

Mikkei4: The white dial trident is a beautiful watch and I prefer it to a lot of my other watches but the black just edges it and I have 4 C60's in 38mm so would be the logical choice to move on. However, I have no immediate purchase plans so it can stay a while longer.

A red second hand would look fantastic on the white dial, it was one of the features that drew me to my very first CW (the day/date cosc i returned)

The vintage looks big in that photo but thats just because its sitting proud on a different cushion. My wrists are tiny and anything with a Metal strap doesn't fit on my watch box rigid cushions so had to get some alternative pillows.

EddieTheBeast: Dean, I'm not the quick, I was already mid photo session when you left your comment. The Hamilton wears / looks much smaller due to being all black so works well at 42mm. I'm not a fan of the titanium writing either.
They do a black STEEL pvd Khaki field also which is 40mm

https://www.berrysjewellers.co.uk/watch ... gLFJPD_BwE

I can only assume its to distinguish between the 2 but its a bit tacky and screams "look I've got the expensive version". Its my only criticism of the watch though and being left handed, i wear it on my right wrist so the writing faces away from my line of sight. Its been on my wrist permanently (when not at work) since arriving.

I've definitely doubled up in numerous places. It became very obvious when I started photographing them in pairs that I have multiple doubles.
Some of this was my inability to decide which i preferred so bought both. Some is that my mild OCD likes the symmetry when they are all sat in the watch box. The expensive doubles will probably get cut back. The cheaper watches, such as the Orients, aren't worth the effort of selling. One was listed in sales corner for ages and didn't shift so decided to keep.

The James bond watch is somewhere but i'm buggered if I know where. As I previous said, looks nothing like the picture i previously posted, its far more battle scared. Its probably buried in the loft somewhere. I would never throw it out.
The CW sale (3 sales ago?) cost me the chance of getting a mint condition replacement(plastic still on the glass). It came up for auction at the same day the sale launched and I completely missed the live bidding. My pre bid got beat and the watch sold for £200. (i'd of paid more).

The Star Trek is still with me, still unworn and still has the plastic on the glass. I should open it up and remove the dead battery, who knows what state that will be in by now.

Matski171: Thanks for the comment, the Fosters watch was free so even better.
You definitely put the money to better use. I read somewhere that every £1 you over pay on your mortgage saves you £4 over the term. (obviously this will change with varying interest rates but always a wise move)
I went a different route and stuck £3000 into Bitcoin and then Etherium about 4 months ago, its worth £5800 today so that was a better investment.
I took a punt on Ripple to the tune of £200 at the same time, thats worth an astonishing £2000 now. If only i'd stuck it all on ripple. Hindsight is wonderful.
CHRIS
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

Lets check on Scrogg "Nostradamus' PREDICTIONS....
Scrogg wrote:
DISJT wrote:The plan for 2018....
Always good to have a plan...
DISJT wrote:See if there are any watches not getting worn and try to streamline the collection.
Except this won't happen...
correct, it didn't get streamlined it got bigger
DISJT wrote:Avoid buying any more watches.
Nor will this...
correct, bought 2 more already

DISJT wrote:Stop buying watch straps just because they are on sale.
Nor will this...
correct, bought another 7 in the CW sale

...but it's always good to have a plan! :thumbup:
Plan did me no good whatsoever.

So in keeping with tradition and watch box symmetry, i've added another matching pair....

CHRIS
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I like the matched pair Chris. I have the same pair, albeit in 43mm size. The orange in particular is one of my favourites.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Lovely collection. Congrats
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
gatobazza

Post by gatobazza »

Great collection! That blue trident is gorgeous!
m0hammed_khaled

Post by m0hammed_khaled »

love that hamilton... also the blue trident really pops, tbh this is the only watch i am comfortable being blue