Downer 2016 - comings and goings

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Although the year is not yet over, I can be fairly sure there will be no more changes to my collection this side of Christmas, so I thought I'd have a quick tally-up of what's changed in 2016.

Starting with the incomings:

In February I decided to swap my IWC Ingenieur Vintage Collection for a slightly smaller 40mm Ingenieur:

The old watch was a stunner but it always wore a bit on the large side, so it had to go. The replacement is a great size, very legible and definitely a keeper.

Literally days after the Ingenieur arrived, Jura had a sale and the deal on a Bremont Terra Nova was too good to pass up - even though my watch fund was empty and I had to sell something to get it. The Terra Nova was a bit of a risk because the watch design is clearly flawed, but thankfully, the watch has really surprised me. It's big and bold, but the titanium case keeps it manageable and I find myself wearing it a lot. My favourite Bremont.

In May, long-time forum member Rob put his modified C8 Blackhawk up for sale. I bought a Blackhawk when they were first released back in 2009, which I kept until 2011. It's a watch I slightly regretted selling, so I jumped at the chance to own another one.

If I'm honest, the C8 case is a touch too big for my wrist, and for that reason I've barely worn this since I got it. In fact, I doubt it'll survive the next cull.

As I became well-practiced at grabbing forum bargains, I also took the opportunity to buy Gary's IWC Mark XVII pilot when he offered it in June. It was a great buy and a really nice watch - especially with the bracelet. I like it because it's modestly sized (diameter and depth) for a pilot watch.

To round off the year, and following a PM tip-off from a forum member, I grabbed a Golf Edition Aqua Terra from a UK AD at a very good price. This is a model I've tracked for a while, so when the opportunity came, I jumped in. It's a nice watch and one I use quite a bit because of the quick-set hour hand. It's also a nice complementary piece for my black AT Golf.

For the last few years I've been trying to avoid putting too much more cash into watches, so of course, several had to leave to balance the books. So... the leavers:

As mentioned above, the IWC Ingenieur VC left because it was slightly oversized. I have had pangs of regret over this one, but in the long run, I know I made a good decision - even if these seem to be looking like a moderately good investment watch.

To balance the Terra Nova I decided to sell another Ti watch - the Tudor Pelagos. No real regrets about this one, although a great watch I can't say I miss it...

And the most recent leaver - the Nomos Weltzeit. I bought it in mid 2015 but it never really fitted into my life. I have to say, it took a while to sell and was not my most sensible watch buying decision- financially speaking. Still, you live and learn - and my lesson is not to buy another watch with skinny hands and no lume.

So... five in and three out. An epic fail on my "reducing the collection" quest. :)
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Downer 2016 - comings and goings

Post by Kip »

A good turn of some very quality pieces Richard. Your collection is exceptional. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An interesting write up Richard.

Your incoming Ingenieur is the pick of the bunch for me of those that came and went. It's still the best fitting integrated bracelet watch I have tried on and maybe at some stage I will look out for the light dial version.

I kept thinking about the Nomos when it was on SC - a lovely watch, but in practical terms for me it just didn't sit well on the wrist.

"Reducing the collection"? I reckon no real need - wait until you retire again! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Glad the Weltzeit found a new home. It was hanging around during my extension build, as appliance after appliance made it into my wife's German engineered kitchen....!

Much prefer the new IWC to your previous. Lovely new additions this year!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Some beautiful watches you have there, the Aqua Terra is the one that stands out for me. I personally am not a big fan on IWC's on the whole but that Mark XVII Pilot is lovely too :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Isis
Expert
Expert

Post by Isis »

Maybe we put too much thought into such trivialities as watches
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

A very heretical thought. :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I always enjoy collection threads Richard.
The AT is my favourite.

I love this photo :

blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

Needs more color.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

downer wrote:The Terra Nova was a bit of a risk because the watch design is clearly flawed, but thankfully, the watch has really surprised me.
I'd personally say you've improved your collection in the last 12-months!

But I'm curious about the above comment. I think I prefer the Terra Nova over the normal supermarine, although I find the execution of the date window as a stand-alone feature a bit heavy handed. But in what way do you think the design 'clearly flawed'?
'Tis me
downer

Post by downer »

nbg wrote: "Reducing the collection"? I reckon no real need - wait until you retire again! :)

Neil
Good point! :)
Caller wrote:
downer wrote:The Terra Nova was a bit of a risk because the watch design is clearly flawed, but thankfully, the watch has really surprised me.
I'd personally say you've improved your collection in the last 12-months!

But I'm curious about the above comment. I think I prefer the Terra Nova over the normal supermarine, although I find the execution of the date window as a stand-alone feature a bit heavy handed. But in what way do you think the design 'clearly flawed'?
The main flaws (IMO) are the lack of minute track and the daft compass bezel. I could also criticise the size of the GMT numbers and the height of the case. But, none of it matters a jot in real life - proving that we can often over-think all this.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Excellent - I do like the AT and the Mk XVII - though I also liked the Weltzeit.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I must admit to liking your outgoing IWC very much. The new AT is lovely as well, shown to full advantage by the excellent full dial photo. Then of course there's my old IWC... also a beautiful watch, but maybe I need to accept that pilots watches are not really my thing and should be admired on others wrists; it does look good on yours.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

downer wrote:The main flaws (IMO) are the lack of minute track and the daft compass bezel. I could also criticise the size of the GMT numbers and the height of the case. But, none of it matters a jot in real life - proving that we can often over-think all this.
Which just shows how we're all different! For sure, for this LE, the minute track has gone, but I don't mind that at all, nor do I object to the bezel, having plenty of the other type! The size of the GMT numbers is the same as on the supermarine, or at least that's how it seems to me, but having thought about it, I do think the GMT hand is over large and you never even mentioned the date window, which bugs me slightly! :thumbup:

But I agree with you that it's a fantastic watch!
'Tis me
downer

Post by downer »

^^ Agreed, it's a great watch. :D

No issue with the date window - in fact I prefer it to the Supermarine's day-date, which tends to dominate a bit - and I think the GMT hand is a good size.

Here's a frontal comparison with my old Supermarine:

The Oracle II has resolved most of the 'flaws', but I am not crazy about the double branding and the changed markers...

Richard