Viognier - February 2016 SOTC

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Viognier - February 2016 SOTC

Post by Viognier »

It has been a considerable time since I posted a SOTC update and 2016 has seen significant changes to my timepiece collection.

So here is a brief synopsis of the departures and additions as well as the new size of my collection. My goal was to downsize to six watches and refresh the collection with two additions.

Departing in 2016:

Christopher Ward C60 Jag Red FLE
- I always liked this watch but truly never loved the red. For my eyes it was a little two rusty colour wise. I held onto it given its extremely limited release of 50. However another watch was launched which was spot on what i was seeking. This was sold locally to a very excited CW convert.

Steinhart Nav B Chrono II
- My second go around owning this Steinhart. I absolutely love the look and homage to the IWC 3717. Upon arrival of the Omega Speedmaster, this simply languished in my watch box. Sold in Canada, it became a source of funds.

Christopher Ward C60 MK1 Orange
- I put this up for sale locally and decided to pull it off. An interested buyer kept emailing and when he met my price, it was reluctantly sold. I really liked this watch. If i sold this and my Omega PO, i could get a PO in Orange and reduce my collection by one...plan hatched!

Omega Planet Ocean 2500 (46mm)
- This and my C60 Scooter Blue are my two favourite watches. Whilst I don't keep formal stats on wear count, I assure you these two are worn the most by a long shot. I have large wrists so wearing 42mm-46mm watches works. That said, I've always had a niggling feeling that over the test to time, 40mm - 44mm watches will be the sweet spot of "proper sizes" and that a 46mm watch may become dated in 5-10 years. So as noted above, the C60 Orange and this PO would be sold, replaced by an Orange Bezel PO 8500 movement. This watch was also sold in Canada.

Incoming in 2016:

Christopher Ward C60 MKII Red Bezel/Black Face
- When CW launched this watch in 2015, I knew as soon as I saw it that it would be the one to push out and replace my C60 Jag FLE. So in December 2015, I put the Jag up for sale and in early January 2016 used the proceeds to fund the C60 MKII Red. Its been a daily wear since its arrival the last day of January and was one of two to tag along on my recent vacation.
I'm wearing it on an aftermarket rubber strap, but know it will spend most of its time with me on the bracelet. Striking in colour, comfortable at 43mm and love the gloss and durability of the ceramic bezel.

Omega Planet Ocean GMT
- Ok, so the consolidation plan was hatched and in late January I scurried down to the Omega AD to ensure that the 42mm Planet Ocean 8500 in Orange would look good on my wrist and not be too small. The sales person passed it to me to try on and started to describe the watch.....and he gets to aluminum bezel. Hold on I say....not a ceramic orange bezel on the new PO????

Nope. My plan squashed like a bug.

I wanted the ceramic on all my newer divers and this was a deal breaker. I looked at the PO 8500 in 42mm (which looked too small to my eyes) and tried on the 46mm (which was fairly pointless as I just sold a 46mm). I left the AD absolutely deflated.

In the meantime, I got distracted by a couple of very well priced 46mm 2500 and 8500 PO's in local sales but decided (with some counsel) that would be pointless and I would still have that niggling feeling.

- Its now early February and i lure SWMBO to the Omega AD for her opinion on 'is the PO 8500 in 42mm too small for my wrist' dilemma. "It is" was her reply, with the sales person nodding her head. SWMBO however points to one in the display case and says "I really like that one and it has the dial you like". Out comes the Omega Planet Ocean GMT in a 43.5mm size. Perfect fit on the wrist, dial colour I love, ceramic bezel.....now the price (swallows very hard). Leaves AD with new target in sight.

Spent the next two weeks trying to find a pre-owned in good shape; negotiated with an AD in the USA but we were $630 apart plus customs duty and tax to ship it here (the USA AD insists on courier, so it will 100% get nabbed by customs). Bottomline: no deal struck.

On vacation my buddy texts "Omega is taking a 6% price increase March 1st in Canada". I use inappropriate language.

Arrive back home and Friday I head to the two local Omega AD's with hopes to make a deal. Economy is not great in Canada, so they will deal says I; One AD will deal, the other won't, but I squeaked it in under my proceeds from the watch sales and an extremely modest top up on my end.

It has some fantastic features with a bi-directional bezel, ceramic bezel with liquid metal GMT number inserts, hour hand that sets independently from the minute hand (perfect when changing time zones) and the date sets by moving the hour hand only. LOVE the applied indices and comfortable Omega rubber strap and deployant. Chose the strap as I felt it really added to the dial pop (versus the bracelet) and SWMBO also suggested pretty much everything else I have is on a bracelet and this would be a nice change!

So here are some pictures of the first watch I've ever bought new from an AD (other than CW of course)....

And here are the other mainstays on my watch collection as I settle in.

Christopher Ward C60 Scooter Blue FLE

Christopher Ward C3

Omega Aqua Terra (2500)

Omega Speedmaster

Thanks for having a read!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Viognier - February 2016 SOTC

Post by downer »

Great collection and an interesting read, thanks. I really like the new addition, and it seems a perfect fit. Congratulations!
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Terrific collection. Lance, and the new additions only serve to enhance it, especially the Omega. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

A great read Lance backed up by your cracking photography.

I really like that Omega PO GMT and pleased that the scooter blue remains in your affection.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

A lovely collection with some impressive watches . I also like the new additions , thank you for sharing .
Bernie
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Lovely Omega and CW collection Lance. The GMT is a fantastic addition.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Great read of an interesting journey. Thanks so much for sharing. The collection is looking great with the new addition. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

^^ Thank you gentlemen, appreciate the generous comments. The GMT has not left my wrist since acquisition on Friday! :D
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Lovely collection Lance. I love the new Omega, you still have that kick of orange in the dial numerals, which really sets it off.

That was a good read about the consolidation journey. SOTCs are still high on my list of favourite posts, this one is no exception...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Great story about the GMT purchase. I think you have the holy trinity of Omegas now :)
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

That is cracking and really cheered up my gloomy Monday morning, what a collection. the Omega's are gorgeous.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ceegee »

A lovely collection and i enjoyed hearing how you came to buy the PO GMT. It looks gorgeous and I'm now wondering whether I need a second PO in my collection. They're just such a fantastic watch.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Great collection topped off by the PO GMT. The PO is just such a fantastic looking timepiece and the GMT is up there with the best of the bunch, in my opinion.
'Tis me
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

That's a nice size collection. The new Omega looks stunning (very good pics do it justice). Thanks for sharing.
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
Wants are many but funds scarce.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

^^ thank you again for all the kind words and comments! Still affixed to my wrist and tracking at +1 sec per day :D