Dancematt - January 2016

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Dancematt - January 2016

Post by Dancematt »

Little update because I am at a stalemate. Recently sold five watches (3 at a decent loss, 2 at profit) and made just over £4000 with one more to sell. I have wants but little desire to follow through with them and what can go? Its hard to say. Most of my wants are now either beyond my budget or will upset the look of the collection so the money will be used elsewhere or not at all:

1983 seiko 7a28 A View to a Kill: Birth year watch

1992 Seiko 7t27 MoD gulf war pilots watch: one of the first 100 issued = 0069.

Omega Geneve Dynamic: Vintage cool. Not worn so much any more

Ernest Borel Cocktail Watch: Rotating Kaleidoscope dial, previously owned by retired watch maker from Texas

Grandads 1968 Seiko 7625-8033: My holy grail. The watch that started the obsession when I was a wee nipper

Seiko Bellmatic 27 jewel: there is nothing I don't like about this watch. It's low end vintage perfection

Nomos Club: This gets a lot more wear now I take it to work. Life's too short to be wimpy about scratches.

Poljot Strela: a reissue of (technically) the first watch in space. The Russians are pretty much the only ones still making sub 40mm chronographs for the masses

JS watch co 101: Another Iceland trip, Another Iceland watch (now my only one) at the perfect size for men

Rado Original Diastar 1962 reissue le: a sub £400 bargain and a great toddler proof watch :D. Love it. Fights for the No1 spot.

CWC SBS diver: Holiday watch. Want it to age, rub off some pvd....lume to darken. Give it some character

Ball Stormchaser DLC master glow: a quick strap change and suddenly this watch becomes a friend again

Omega speedmaster Pulsometer bezel: just something a bit different to the norm

Omega Seamaster SMPC: Love / hate but a quality watch.

Vostok Amphibia Tank: Xmas gift from the missus and firm favorite

On top of this I have two outsiders:
A truely great beater:

And my engagement gift from my lady:

And that's genuinely it now...except some of the cheapies/ vintage I did own have become the starting point for my five month old sons collection :lol:

Potentials purchases of 2016 (but unlikely)
Nomos Ahoi! Atlantic - The ultimate one watch? £1.5 is all I will pay so I will wait.
Gruen Precision Gold - The one I want is uber rare it seems.
Like but probably wont buy:
Bell and Ross BRS - Again too expensive and I like my cheap CWC which it would replace...they aren't too dissimilar
JS watch Co SIF NART - Too expensive for what it is and turned it down on two separate visits to the brand
Nomos Orion - Would boot out the club but squabble with the JS 101 so its a no go
Bremont Solo 37mm - Perfect size but silly price.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: Dancematt - January 2016

Post by gaf1958 »

Man, there are some lovely, lovely watches there. I'm finding it hard to pick one I don't like. There are a couple I probably wouldn't own - the Vostok and the Borel. The Borel is cool, but it's not me. Some of your Seikos are pearls, the Omegas as well. I like the Strela a lot. The Diastar is a great buy and surprisingly (to me) the Ball is a winner. Good stuff :)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I just noticed the Borel in NCWOTD and can see that the outer part is see through. Just gone up a bit in my book! Not a daily wearer, but cool.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Brilliant collection. I think your Grandads Seiko and the Poljot are absolutely amazing watches. also love the look of your Ball watch.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

gaf1958 wrote:I just noticed the Borel in NCWOTD and can see that the outer part is see through. Just gone up a bit in my book! Not a daily wearer, but cool.
It's not really my typical wear either (as you could probably tell) but it's a nice talking piece for those awkward dinner table situations and I love all the effort put into it - the caseback is also completely see through and the hairspring has balance screws :D
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

A cracking collection you have. I particularly like the 4 Seiko,s, love those 2 chrono,s :cuinlove:
Graham
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Very nice - some lovely watches there. Why the love / hate with the Seamaster?
'Tis me
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Great post, another vote for Grandfather's Seiko as my favourite. Interesting that no CW's have made the cut...perhaps that is what you just sold off?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Some great stuff amongst that lot, Pete. I don't understand your antipathy towards the SMPc - it looks great to me!
Richard
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

I have to say I like every one of them watches , they are all gorgeous in their own way . Thank you for sharing your collection with us .
Bernie
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

A truly great collection DM.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Kin 'ell that is a bloody fantastic collection. Love the Ball and the SMP but that CWC is most intriguing.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Caller wrote:Very nice - some lovely watches there. Why the love / hate with the Seamaster?
downer wrote:Some great stuff amongst that lot, Pete. I don't understand your antipathy towards the SMPc - it looks great to me!
Well I kinda bought the wrong size but I couldn't have got a better deal than I did. I no longer see the co axial escapement as a good thing and the watch itself is quite bling but after a couple of days straight worth of wear I tend to forget all that bullcrap and enjoy it's looks.
Viognier wrote:Great post, another vote for Grandfather's Seiko as my favourite. Interesting that no CW's have made the cut...perhaps that is what you just sold off?
Two CW purchases in my time. Last one was 2011. I haven't found a design I love since the C20, lots of design corners cut in my opinion but now the prices no longer reflect that but things are improving in that respect; it's just I already have alternatives in my collection that I'd rather own (eg I like the Slimline but I've got the vintage Seikos. I like the C1000 but I have the stormchaser)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

^^^ It's a funny old game. If you owned only the SMPc you'd not give all that stuff a second thought. I am working on a SOTC post and remembering why and how I got my watches, there has been a serious amount of over-thinking going on! :lol:
Richard
Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Arbor22 »

Favourite part of the forum for me, especially when I see collections like this. Really like the bellmatic and other seikos, just when I think I know what I want next on my list more options to explore.
Thanks for sharing