jtc - January 2016

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

jtc - January 2016

Post by jtc »

I thought it's about time I post my small but growing mixed-bag of a collection!

Tudor Pelagos

Acquired from this very forum, bought for me by my wife for my birthday in August '15. I had spent the week up to my birthday in 2014 in hospital after suddenly suffering from a nasty blood clot and pulmonary embolism. After several trips to theatre in that week, I was eventually discharged to continue my recovery at home at 17:30 on my birthday. A year on, CeeGee's Pelagos came up for sale and it seemed an ideal addition to the collection to commemorate still being here! I wear this watch the most as it's so versatile. A definite favourite of mine and I think I prefer the date window on this to the new in-house second version. I might one day pick up a North Flag to keep it company.

Tag Heuer Carrera 1887

A wedding gift from my wife in 2011 - at the time it was one of the first ones in the country and my only mechanical watch. I like how they don't quite make them like this anymore; they fiddled with the chrono sub dial design and chapter ring for later models. I also affectionately call it my posh Seiko :lol: ... a thoroughly attractive piece that I always enjoy wearing. One day I might put a bit more effort into taking some good photos! The display case-back also shows off the 1887 chrono movement ("in house" from Tag Heuer in Switzerland via Japan) with blued screws and all sorts of depth. Gets lots of nice comments when worn.

Magrette Moana Pacific All Black

Limited to a run of 500, this became my preferred microbrand when I saw the black/white/grey dialled model put up for pre-ordering. I bought one, enjoyed it, then decided to sell it on here. A few months later I deeply regretted it so contacted Dion who sent me one of the last two he had in his possession. It's a big old watch, but incredibly comfortable thanks to the standard rubber strap and deployant clasp. That said, I'm wearing it less since the Pelagos arrived. I'll probably wear it a bit more in the summer because it's more a casual jeans & shorts kind of watch than any other. I have contemplated selling it on, but given my previous experience figured why not keep it!

Swatch Sistem 51

I'd always been intrigued by these swatches - playful plastic as ever, but with a mechanical movement heralded as a leap in automated manufacturing. I'd seen the tear downs online, and the widespread negative response, but I was still curious. A brightly coloured cheap mechanical watch - what's not to like?! Well, the lume is awful - they may as well have not bothered! Apart from that it's good enough. This is part of an updated range, after those with the constellation type dial, which I acquired on my way back down the country from Glasgow airport. I was passing time in duty free and they had an offer on. I'd previously fondled the Sistem51 models in Las Vegas and thought what the heck. It's now a go-to for dog walking and more recently to match 90's themed attire. The strap isn't replaceable but the plastic/rubber (not sure what it is) standard offering is incredibly comfortable. It's a very light watch to wear and due to the cheap plastic case you can hear its hearbeat ticking away within earshot of it. A pleasant watch to wear that tells the time. It's that simple.

Seiko 5

Everyone should have one of these - a wonder of Japanese engineering. Display case back, looks great on a nato, strong lume, day & date. I like to wear it on a NATO and tends to be on my wrist when doing DIY as it's a little more sturdy than the plastic Swatch. It leaps into life the moment you pick it up and will run for days when put back down. Legible, reliable and doesn't break the bank - a worthy member of any collection.

Seiko Kinetic

I don't wear this and haven't done since my teens. It doesn't even work - needs a new capacitor and a service. However it was the watch that got me into watches, strangely. It was my first analogue watch, having previously had digital casios etc, and I really liked how your movement charged it up. Pressing the button above the crown would advance the second hand to display how much life was in it. It's also titanium and incredibly light. I've got a photo with me holding my 1 year old niece in my arms wearing this watch - she's now 15 and a proper person. I'll always keep it for sentiment and, when I feel like spending some money, might just get it refurbed.

The empty spaces
I have one watch incoming - an Omega Speedmaster Apollo XV 40th Anniversary (see the Speedmasters thread). I paid a deposit pre-Christmas and will complete the purchase once I've finished paying for extension plans/planning/structural engineer etc ... hopefully in early March.

Then I'll probably not buy anything new for a while and enjoy what I have.

I have had several CWLs but flipped/returned them all (a C10 FLE, C65 and more recently a new C60). For the FLE I just didn't get on with it - the case size felt too big or the strap width too small. I really liked the C65 but the face, after wearing other watches, really was a bit big. I sold it to help fund the Pelagos. I'm mightily impressed with the new C60s but not enough to hang onto one.

Anyway, I'm not considering the new C60s, I don't need another diver! I'd really like a worldtimer/GMT and still on the look out for one that takes my fancy. I'd also quite like something with a power reserve indicator as it's a nice addition on the right watch, plus I also fancy something plain and dressy.

To be continued, as they say :D
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: jtc - January 2016

Post by Caller »

Very nice collection and tale for each watch and those let go. I'd happily own any of your top row. The Magrette looks great. :thumbup:
'Tis me
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Jon, great post and descriptions. I very much enjoyed the read. Pelagos is a fantastic timepiece, so understand that you wear it most often.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

A splendid collection and I can't wait to see your Speedmaster.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
RAC
Senior
Senior

Post by RAC »

Great post! Love your top row and the stories to go along with them!
Ryan
CW:C60 Pro 600, C3
Tag Heuer: Link
Rolex: Submariner 5513
Tissot:PR50 Chronograph, PRS200
Seiko: SNZH53, SKX009
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Cracking collection. Pelagos is of course superb, but I love that Magrette!

I always enjoy reading the stories behind them, and cannot wait to see the incoming speed master.

Top right and bottom left are a bit of a cop out though! Are you sure they work?

Sent from my IRON using Tapatalk
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

That swatch and Seiko 5 look brill to me!
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Very nice, I want a Pelagos myself.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Excellent post. Very interesting to read the story behind each watch. Of course I agree with you that the Pelagos is a winner. :thumbup:
Richard
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

Cracking collection , I really like the Pelagos and Magrette , both very nice .
Bernie
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

A great post and a lovely collection.
Very pleased everything worked out for you last year mate ;)
Your Pelagos is my favourite.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

A lovely collection. I must admit that I thoroughly enjoy reading the background to each watch in these STCs.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

jtc - January 2016

Post by gaf1958 »

I like your Pelagos and what it means to you - you've picked a good one to be a significant watch for you... The Tag and the Magrette are also very nice too.

I'm also looking forward to seeing your Speedmaster when it arrives - I think it will be a beauty!

Once again, I have to say I love SOTC posts. I love both the watches and the reasons why the watches are purchased or acquired, regardless of whether the watches are ones I'd buy or not. Thanks for posting. :)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

Glad you are back on track health wise. Really enjoy the back stories on these threads glad the Magrette made it back into the collection some watches you just cant let go of. Tudor has to be the standout for me like so many others.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Lovely little collection. Liking the seiko kinetic but what I really enjoyed seeing is the little stitched pictures on the pillows! Lol, great little details!
I miss all the great things that may never be.