underrated brands / models

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
aussietrev

underrated brands / models

Post by aussietrev »

Sorry if its been covered before, But has anyone got a recommendation for a brand and or specific vintage model that is great but not highly valued as a collectible ? I love the look and history of vintage pieces but i am not interested in the collectablity and resale value. hope that makes sense. :?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: underrated brands / models

Post by Kip »

Have a look at vintage American brands such as Hamilton (through 1968), Waltham through (1957), Elgin (through 1964) and Gruen (through 1958).

Many models, styles and sizes to choose from. Some extremely collectible, while many are very affordable. With proper service can be worn daily.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
aussietrev

Post by aussietrev »

I have looked at Elgin and lord elgin before but not much into Hamilton.

Waltham and Gruen are both new names to me so I will have a look :D

Cheers
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

What sort of budget are you looking at?

The top makers will always command high vintage prices, though Zenith and Girard-Perregaux are among the best value.

It's becoming harder to find real bargains as vintage watches are becoming more sought-after and dealers know exactly what they are selling.

Smiths used to turn up some great bargains but their finer watches are now going through the roof price-wise. Ditto Omega. Longines can still represent good value in the vintage market.

Vintage Rolex tend to sell for about £1k more than comparable watches from other makers...no surprises there.

There are still bargains to be had from good little Swiss companies that didn't survive the quartz crisis. Check out sites like Posh Time, who have quite a few of them.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

Here are a list of brands worth looking at below . I would not say that any are underrated , but some vintage watches can be had at very reasonable prices and are good quality .
Alpina
Bulova
Bucherer
Certina
Cyma
Cauny
Dugena
Edox
Eterna
Favre Leuba
Helevetia
Junghans .
Kelek
Marvin
Mido
Milus
Record
Roamer
Rado
Rone
Revue
Seiko
Swiss Emperor
Sandoz
Technos
Tressa
Vertex
Wittnauer
Yema .

Good luck with the hunt for your vintage watch :thumbup: From that list Kelek ,Milus and Bucherer are the gems IMO , very good quality . There are also some great Quality Seiko's to be had .
Bernie
aussietrev

Post by aussietrev »

Thanks guys! I will have a look around.

tempsu
tempusmaximus wrote:Here are a list of brands worth looking at below . I would not say that any are underrated , but some vintage watches can be had at very reasonable prices and are good quality .
Alpina
Bulova
Bucherer
Certina
Cyma
Cauny
Dugena
Edox
Eterna
Favre Leuba
Helevetia
Junghans .
Kelek
Marvin
Mido
Milus
Record
Roamer
Rado
Rone
Revue
Seiko
Swiss Emperor
Sandoz
Technos
Tressa
Vertex
Wittnauer
Yema .

Good luck with the hunt for your vintage watch :thumbup: From that list Kelek ,Milus and Bucherer are the gems IMO , very good quality . There are also some great Quality Seiko's to be had .
Thaty is a big list ! but there is a bunch of stuff i have never heard of before. should keep me busy for a while
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

£500 - £600 will get you a very nice Omega or Longines if its a biggish name your wanting in the world of vintage.

OK, they,re not exactly underrated brands but with a vintage watch thats still perfectly usable daily if its been serviced they made some cracking watches in the 60,s & 70,s
Graham
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

I picked up a Steel Bucherer chronometer with 2824 in it for next to nothing. All it needed was the glass cleaning and it was good to wear. The watch dated to 1979 and retailed at the same price as a non date Rolex Precision!
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

There are some really nice old Rado watches around, much better than the bland minimalist fashion watch look of recent years and pretty cheap as a wearable vintage. Lots on the Russian brands offer great vintage watches for peanuts - not the greatest quality but some stunning designs.
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by tempus fugit »

As AVO says, budget please.
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag