Vintage Watches - Worth It ?

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Vintage Watches - Worth It ?

Post by suicidal_orange »

Sounds like this 'vintage' game could save me a lot of money. Not beacause I'll bag myself a bargain but because I can look for a long time to work out what I want then will have to acually find one, all without spending a penny :lol:

Not sure if an attraction to the abnormal will help or hinder though - if something's not popular less are made but how many would have been loved to death vs sitting in the box as an unwanted gift?
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

blowfish89 wrote:I only wear one watch and I don't take it anywhere near water.
Nicely toasted, that. But are you saying it could not be made to be water resistant?
Gregory
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Psalty wrote:
Nicely toasted, that. But are you saying it could not be made to be water resistant?
Yes it could be, just a regular pressure test and seal test like any other, I just haven't done it yet. Also, 80s rolexes (5 digit references) are much less delicate than 60s watches (4 digit references).
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by tempus fugit »

That Rolex is stunning. Really stunning. What model is it please?

Also, if I owned that, I'd WANT to wear it everywhere, including the deep blue (end of the swimming pool). Agree I'd baulk at taking it diving at that age though.
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

tempus fugit wrote:That Rolex is stunning. Really stunning. What model is it please?

Also, if I owned that, I'd WANT to wear it everywhere, including the deep blue (end of the swimming pool). Agree I'd baulk at taking it diving at that age though.
Hi Tempus, it is a 16800 matte dial from 1983 with the cyclops removed. More here - http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... hp?t=34701
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

smegwina wrote:
The biggest issue is that many non "watchy" people tend to assume that a vintage sub can be put through everything a modern one can be, with unfortunate results.
I used my vintage Sub as an only watch 24/7, putting it through all that a fairly active modern male can. Periodic refreshment and testing of water resistance seemed to keep it in good order. Never took it off to shower or swim, build structures... although I did learn to take it off when digging around in engine bays.

Just a good, durable watch.
Gregory
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Psalty wrote:
smegwina wrote:
The biggest issue is that many non "watchy" people tend to assume that a vintage sub can be put through everything a modern one can be, with unfortunate results.
I used my vintage Sub as an only watch 24/7, putting it through all that a fairly active modern male can. Periodic refreshment and testing of water resistance seemed to keep it in good order. Never took it off to shower or swim, build structures... although I did learn to take it off when digging around in engine bays.

Just a good, durable watch.
"Periodic refreshment and testing of water resistance seemed to keep it in good order."

Therein lies the clincher.

I never said that with proper maintenance and a modicum of common sense a vintage sub cannot be a reliable companion.

I am simply saying that many people have no idea a watch needs servicing, and that a vintage sub without maintenance, subjected to the same abuse as a modern one, will exhibit a higher failure rate.

Nothing more.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by tempus fugit »

blowfish89 wrote:
tempus fugit wrote:That Rolex is stunning. Really stunning. What model is it please?

Hi Tempus, it is a 16800 matte dial from 1983 with the cyclops removed. More here - http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... hp?t=34701
Just been doing some extra Googling after reading the link. That's one VERY special watch! Good for you, maybe one day I'll be able to get one too.
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag
Boydesian
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Boydesian »

I have a few vintage watches ranging from a 1970s Perregaux to a 1980s Vostok. None of them have given me cause to regret buying them.
Whare hae ye been sae braw, lad?
Whare hae ye been sae brankie, O?
Whare hae ye been sae braw, lad?
Came ye by Killiecrankie, O?
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

smegwina wrote:
I am simply saying that many people have no idea a watch needs servicing, and that a vintage sub without maintenance, subjected to the same abuse as a modern one, will exhibit a higher failure rate.
Got it. Throwing an old watch into active service without checking the works is likely to be expensive.
Gregory
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

Psalty wrote:
smegwina wrote:
Got it. Throwing an old watch into active service without checking the works is likely to be expensive.
saying that, any watch more than a couple of years old without a pressure test is a ticking time bomb. Doesn't have to be vintage!

I have seen a fair few watches 5-10 yrs old have the dreaded condensation after diving.

Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

smegwina wrote: I have seen a fair few watches 5-10 yrs old have the dreaded condensation after diving.
That is surprising to hear. But since 5 years is the recommended maintenance schedule, perhaps not so surprising.

Do professional divers - assuming they are using mechanical watches - have a maintenance schedule that differs?
Gregory
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

Psalty wrote:
smegwina wrote: I have seen a fair few watches 5-10 yrs old have the dreaded condensation after diving.
That is surprising to hear. But since 5 years is the recommended maintenance schedule, perhaps not so surprising.

Do professional divers - assuming they are using mechanical watches - have a maintenance schedule that differs?
To tell you the truth, they tend to use dive computers rather than wristwatches. In my limited experience (working with salvage divers), they do wear wristies, but I have never seen them utilise any form of maintenance schedule on the watches. This is in marked contrast to the professional equipment they use.

blairgscott
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Post by blairgscott »

Is that patina naturally occurring or is it applied? That is a stunner for sure.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

blairgscott wrote:
Is that patina naturally occurring or is it applied? That is a stunner for sure.
Yes, it is naturally occurring - manufactured circa 1983