I *think* I'm going to order this

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: I *think* I'm going to order this

Post by FloridaPhil »

Update: It's made from REAL stingray skin!!! The back story on this is just too good. Ordered one. 8)
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

FloridaPhil wrote:Update: It's made from REAL stingray skin!!! The back story on this is just too good. Ordered one. 8)
Unlike others that have liked the strap it wasn't to my taste but I didn't post anything before because everybody has their own taste and opinions so I just thought if the buyer likes it then fine, it's their money etc etc.

But now I've just read that it's real stingray skin - it's not 1st April still is it? - and that's something to be ecstatic about?

I was very pleased when CW stopped selling alligator and/or crocodile straps as IMO this was a great move for wild life, but now somebody is skinning stingrays for watch straps?

Apologies for my bluntness but Yuck to the look of the strap and please please think more than twice about buying this strap and funding such a business. (Looks like this plea is too late as I've just spotted it's been ordered). I realise we could drill down to the nth degree about how we treat animals as after all we all probably have leather straps on at least 1 of our watches and what's the real cost in the production of millions of metal bracelets but stingray skin?

I hope this post is not considered "political" so it can remain in the Forum.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Thread crap much?

The style, as I said right at the start, is outside my normal range but I think in this case it works. The colours of the strap are a great companion to the colours of the watch. The look, as I said previously, is reminiscent of diving which is appropriate to the watch's purpose and the fact that it is actually fish skin is, for me, the icing on the cake. So yeah, I am 'ecstatic' about it. You don't like the look? That's fine - taste is personal. Just scroll on by.

Although you don't make it explicit, I think that you and I would fundamentally disagree on the use of animal skins for anything, I have no need to drill down to the 'nth degree'. That includes alligators which where I live are a total pain in the rear end. In the southern States of the USA alligators are farmed for their meat and their leather - much like cattle. I honestly do not get the whole indignation arising out of the use of alligator leather - or any other leather or animal products - so long as it's responsibly sourced. Your phrase 'how we treat animals' tells me a lot about your viewpoints. Seriously, while you are entitled to your point of view, I am getting exhausted from people tut-tutting at others about their life choices and trying to shame others into acting how they want them to act.

Which brings me to the matter of my stingray strap. Take a long, hard look at my profile picture. What do you see? Oh yeah, that would be me in scuba gear. There are probably fewer people on the face of the planet who are more aware of marine life than scuba divers. The second question I asked about the skin, once I had established it was genuine, was where it was sourced. I was assured, although there is no way for me to verify, that the skins are obtained through sustainable suppliers. The maker of the watch strap is located in Holland, not somewhere in south east Asia, and so I am as sure as I can be that the skins were actually sourced responsibly as claimed.

You make your choices, I'll make mine.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
christam
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by christam »

^^^^^^^^^^ A good response.

The strap itself looks gorgeous and a perfect complement to your watch. I love polished stingray straps but would give one word of caution: the "bubble" effect is only really noticeable when a strong light source is concentrated on the strap. This could be sunshine (no problem where you live 8) ) or an artificial light. Don't be disappointed when you first unwrap the new strap, just get it into some strong light and you'll fall in love.
I am not a collector of watches. I used to be able to say that and know I was telling the truth.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

christam wrote:^^^^^^^^^^ A good response.

The strap itself looks gorgeous and a perfect complement to your watch. I love polished stingray straps but would give one word of caution: the "bubble" effect is only really noticeable when a strong light source is concentrated on the strap. This could be sunshine (no problem where you live 8) ) or an artificial light. Don't be disappointed when you first unwrap the new strap, just get it into some strong light and you'll fall in love.
Good to know. Thank for the heads-up. It takes a month for the strap to be custom made so I won't get it for a while by the time you include the shipping time. I'll be sure to post pics.

I have him thinking about a strap for my C11 too. Will be very interested to see what he comes up with.
WatchChat on Facebook
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

FloridaPhil wrote:Thread crap much?

The style, as I said right at the start, is outside my normal range but I think in this case it works. The colours of the strap are a great companion to the colours of the watch. The look, as I said previously, is reminiscent of diving which is appropriate to the watch's purpose and the fact that it is actually fish skin is, for me, the icing on the cake. So yeah, I am 'ecstatic' about it. You don't like the look? That's fine - taste is personal. Just scroll on by.

Although you don't make it explicit, I think that you and I would fundamentally disagree on the use of animal skins for anything, I have no need to drill down to the 'nth degree'. That includes alligators which where I live are a total pain in the rear end. In the southern States of the USA alligators are farmed for their meat and their leather - much like cattle. I honestly do not get the whole indignation arising out of the use of alligator leather - or any other leather or animal products - so long as it's responsibly sourced. Your phrase 'how we treat animals' tells me a lot about your viewpoints. Seriously, while you are entitled to your point of view, I am getting exhausted from people tut-tutting at others about their life choices and trying to shame others into acting how they want them to act.

Which brings me to the matter of my stingray strap. Take a long, hard look at my profile picture. What do you see? Oh yeah, that would be me in scuba gear. There are probably fewer people on the face of the planet who are more aware of marine life than scuba divers. The second question I asked about the skin, once I had established it was genuine, was where it was sourced. I was assured, although there is no way for me to verify, that the skins are obtained through sustainable suppliers. The maker of the watch strap is located in Holland, not somewhere in south east Asia, and so I am as sure as I can be that the skins were actually sourced responsibly as claimed.

I accept your views also but not the "Thread crap much". I said in my post everybody has their own taste and opinions and they should be respected and to label comments as crap just doesn't show respect. I did actually see your profile thanks and even considered it while responding so please don't think you know all about me or my viewpoints by facetiously pointing it out, picking on "how we treat animals" words or placing me in the "tut-tutting" or "shaming" groups.

Obviously we're in very different parts of the world and maybe us in the UK are lucky not to be pestered by real wild life such as the alligators, bears etc so I appreciate your points made there and it's given me a different view to consider.

And finally "Just scroll on by" if my tastes don't match yours - strange but I thought this forum offers a location for watch lovers to comment whether it's a like or dislike or should only YES men post comments to other's posts?
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

Mikkei4 wrote:
FloridaPhil wrote:Thread crap much?

I accept your views also but not the "Thread crap much". I said in my post everybody has their own taste and opinions and they should be respected and to label comments as crap just doesn't show respect. I did actually see your profile thanks and even considered it while responding so please don't think you know all about me or my viewpoints by facetiously pointing it out, picking on "how we treat animals" words or placing me in the "tut-tutting" or "shaming" groups.

Obviously we're in very different parts of the world and maybe us in the UK are lucky not to be pestered by real wild life such as the alligators, bears etc so I appreciate your points made there and it's given me a different view to consider.

And finally "Just scroll on by" if my tastes don't match yours - strange but I thought this forum offers a location for watch lovers to comment whether it's a like or dislike or should only YES men post comments to other's posts?
Hold fire fella, I think you missed the point - it was a question from the OP.

There is a phrase called 'thread crapping' - it's when someone derails a thread from its original purpose:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... 20crapping

In this case, it looks like that's what you did, so was a valid comment IMHO.
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Mikkei, peace. I'm not getting into an argument with anyone here. We have a disagreement and a difference in opinion, let's leave it at that.
WatchChat on Facebook
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Apologies as I've never heard of thread crapping so I'm really sorry I got the wrong end of the stick there purely through my ignorance of forum speak and also apologies by taking it off at a tangent. In the light of what Thread Crapping means I apologise to Florida Phil - I just totally misunderstood your response - sorry if I got uppity.
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

FloridaPhil wrote:Mikkei, peace. I'm not getting into an argument with anyone here. We have a disagreement and a difference in opinion, let's leave it at that.
Mikkei4 wrote:Apologies as I've never heard of thread crapping so I'm really sorry I got the wrong end of the stick there purely through my ignorance of forum speak and also apologies by taking it off at a tangent. In the light of what Thread Crapping means I apologise to Florida Phil - I just totally misunderstood your response - sorry if I got uppity.
Well said both :clap:

Nothing to see here, let's move along.... 8)
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO
Tangerine_sedge
Junior
Junior

Post by Tangerine_sedge »

I really like that! Is Stingray a protected species? I'd want the real deal, but not to the detriment of the species...
Tangerine_sedge
Junior
Junior

Post by Tangerine_sedge »

Poo! Just answered this myself, most Rays are critically endangered, so not ethical to fish for them...
JimboJames1972
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by JimboJames1972 »

Very interesting and a unique look!

I'd certainly wear that combination for daily use, or even if I wanted to dress the watch up a bit for smarter use. I would, however, be reluctant to use it for diving. Actually, I'd never use any leather strap for diving, I'd swap back to either rubber or steel bracelet because these are what they were designed for.

Thanks for the link to their site though, I'll definitely check out their offerings to add to my own strap choices...

J