Help me with info on curved spring bars (Trident)

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
rogco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Help me with info on curved spring bars (Trident)

Post by rogco »

I picked up a Trident Pro 600 Vintage in the recent sale with a bracelet. I believe it has the curved spring bars and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what that means for changing out straps. I like the bracelet but know I'll want to see how it looks with other straps. Are the curved spring bars as easy to remove as straight, and can I fit a regular 2-piece nato, leather strap or 2-piece perlon on the curved spring bars? Also, can you switch out for straight spring bars, and is this just a dumb idea? Any advice, info and wisdom that helps stop me from making mistakes is appreciated!
redcon1
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Re: Help me with info on curved spring bars (Trident)

Post by redcon1 »

The CW bracelet as fitted to my C60 GMT uses straight spring bars. Straps may come with curved or straght, and I've never had a problem removing or remounting one or the other.

I've read that mounting thicker NATO/ZULU straps on the C60 will require set of curved springbars to allow clearance for the straps. Never tried it myself. 2 piece straps should not be an issue.

A word of caution.. removing or remounting the C60 bracelet takes a small-fork springbar tool and a steady hand. I've mounted up plenty of bracelets and I still ended with a small but visible scratch on one lug. :(
------------
Dave
C60 Trident GMT Black/Black
Seiko SKX007
ziphos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by ziphos »

From memory I think the bracelet is mounted using straight spring bars, it is the CW leather strap that uses the curved bars. Either way I don't find it any harder removing both types of spring bar, however putting the bracelet back on can be hard (there are other threads on this), though I have always managed it eventually. I have bought a non-CW rubber dive strap with straight bars, fitted just fine. A good spring bar tool helps.

As an aside, I noticed earlier they my 38mm Trident GMT has a bader deployant strap held on with 1 straight spring bar and 1 curved bar!
CW C60 pro 300, C60 pro 600, C60 pro 600 GMT, C60 Titanium V2, C65 Trident Classic, C7 Rapide, C63
Omega Speedmaster Professional, Speedmaster Racing, Seamaster (1950's)
Breitling 2x Aerospace
Also: Borealis Bulova Casio Scurfa
rogco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by rogco »

Thanks for the info. I picked up a small-fork springbar tool, so have that. Unfortunately I do not have a steady hand (probably more the opposite). My poor wife is going to have to hear me swearing under my breath as I try and switch out straps!
Its_Probably_Me
Junior
Junior

Post by Its_Probably_Me »

You can use either curved or straight spring bars to fit other straps. I recommend trying both with with any one piece straps to see which is more comfortable. You might been to press the straight bars in slighltly depending on the thickness of the strap material
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

I really hadn't come across curved spring bars until I started buying tailor-made leather zulus from yellowdogstraps - he uses and supplies curved bars with his straps to give a bit more space for a thick leather lug end between the watch body and the spring bar. So if you have a trap which is tight, try supporting both ends of a spring bar and applying gentle pressure to the mid-point.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I use curved spring bars for the thicker zulu straps on my C60 because you need the extra clearance. I also use them with thicker leather straps that have straight ends to have just a bit more clearance as well.