C60 Trident Chronograph Review

Documentation and CW-related information
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

C60 Trident Chronograph Review

Post by eggtronics »

The Trident Chronograph was one of the most highly anticipated models released by Christopher Ward in recent years; and I was naturally rather interested in reviewing one. My personal preference is always going to be on a bracelet, so I was initially a little sad when it arrived on the rubber strap. However, I promptly came to realise that it makes it look even more purposeful, and is really the best option for what it is: a high precision, impressively specced diving watch.

The Trident Chronograph will cost you £1395 with rubber strap, or £1445 with a bracelet. Of course it’s not cheap, but let’s face it, on initial inspection is a great price for a Swiss Made automatic chronograph with an ETA Valjoux 7750 movement. Let’s take a closer look to see if it matches the ethos of CW: excellence at value.

Continue reading here:
http://www.watchitallabout.com/christop ... ch-review/

When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: C60 Trident Chronograph Review

Post by Lavaine »

An excellent review. The case finishing looks to be top notch, and the lumed bezel is a nice addition. Perhaps one that will be added across the C60 Pro lineup in the future? I really like the stepped dial, as it is a subtle nod towards the dials of the early C3 and C5 models. The only real misses for me are the dial cutouts (they would look better if 3 and 9 were mirrored), and the thick caseback, which leaves the lugs floating above the wrist. A new, thicker case that kept the lugs closer to the wrist would have been a more aesthetically pleasing solution to the thicker movement.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Another excellent review Josh. I agree across the board other than the fact I have not tried it on a rubber strap. It is certainly a lot of watch! Funny about the "Helium Valve Release"...have we been saying it wrong all along?

@ Lavaine
[quote= A new, thicker case that kept the lugs closer to the wrist would have been a more aesthetically pleasing solution to the thicker movement.[/quote]

Do you really think a thicker case than its current 17.1mm height would be beneficial? If I understand you correctly you are suggesting lower lugs for fit, which I understand, but that by itself, I think, would make the current height feel even thicker. Perhaps I am not understanding exactly your thoughts here., although I think I understand your goal.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Kip wrote:Another excellent review Josh. I agree across the board other than the fact I have not tried it on a rubber strap. It is certainly a lot of watch! Funny about the "Helium Valve Release"...have we been saying it wrong all along?

@ Lavaine
A new, thicker case that kept the lugs closer to the wrist would have been a more aesthetically pleasing solution to the thicker movement.[/quote wrote:
Do you really think a thicker case than its current 17.1mm height would be beneficial? If I understand you correctly you are suggesting lower lugs for fit, which I understand, but that by itself, I think, would make the current height feel even thicker. Perhaps I am not understanding exactly your thoughts here., although I think I understand your goal.
I think that Lavaine is saying that that if they extended the case depth, rather than putting on a deep case back, the lugs would have been in a more normal position, as opposed to being in the air as a result of the excessively deep case back.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

smegwina wrote:
Kip wrote: @ Lavaine
A new, thicker case that kept the lugs closer to the wrist would have been a more aesthetically pleasing solution to the thicker movement.
I think that Lavaine is saying that that if they extended the case depth, rather than putting on a deep case back, the lugs would have been in a more normal position, as opposed to being in the air as a result of the excessively deep case back.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
What Smeggers said. Not thicker overall, but a thicker case with better located lugs, and a thinner case back to maintain the 17.1mm profile. The C60 is certainly not the only chrono to us a thick case back. My Speedy Pro and Khaki Field Chrono both use thick case backs. I think that the deeply curved lugs make it more obvious on the C60. The lugs were designed to follow the contour of the wrist, and when they don't it stands out. For whatever reason, it has never bothered my with the Speedy, but I notice it when I wear the Hammy.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Thanks for the clarification. I was finding it hard to believe that you wanted a taller case.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
topgunn
Junior
Junior

Post by topgunn »

THX for this review, it was a pleasant read, great pictures also. Makes me contemplating an ownership.
George Smiley
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by George Smiley »

topgunn wrote:THX for this review, it was a pleasant read, great pictures also. Makes me contemplating an ownership.
I'm trying really hard to say no...but I do like it.