The Curmudgeons Corner

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: The Curmudgeons Corner

Post by downer »

The secret society of pensions actuaries are getting on my nerves. Communication is difficult, wording is very guarded, and I'm always left with the feeling that I am being stitched up! :thumbdown:
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Our little Co-op supermarket in Dibley has been a bit busy this week...and they have coped magnificently. :clap:

BUT...

I got so hacked off this morning when two women stood in the rather long queue for one of the 3 checkouts, while sending various family members around the store to collect items from the shelves!

:explode:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I work shifts, so when I need to book an appointment for anything, my usual request is “can you just shout out options and I’ll see if I can make it”. On booking an appointment today, it went like this:
Me: can you shout out dates please (as stated above)
Receptionist: next Fri at 1pm?
Me: No, sorry I’m at work. Can do after 4:30.
Receptionist: No. Sorry, nothing after 4:30. What about next Mon at 1pm.
Me: No. Working. Anything after 4:30?
Receptionist: No sorry. Perhaps if you just tell me when you’re off?
Me: Today!
Receptionist: No. Nothing today, I’m afraid. How about a week on Wed at 10 am?
Me: Working!
Receptionist: I can’t keep throwing dates at you. When are you free?
Me: Tomorrow!
Receptionist: 10 am?
Me: Yes please!
Receptionist: Or I can do 1:30?
Me: 10 is fine thanks.

Why was Fri her first offering then?
Do they go on courses for this? :silent:
I’m so used to having to book these things so far in advance that it never occurred to me to start the call with “I’m free all this week until Thurs. Do you have anything?” I suppose I only have myself to blame? :problem:
Steve.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

So, my son parked in a local “free” car park and went to the cinema and then on to an eatery. This meant that he overstayed the 3 “free” hrs max stay by a whopping 1hr 40mins! A whole 100 mins. He never read the signs! As his car is still in my wife’s name, she has received the dreaded Parking Charge Notice, for a massive £1 per minute!! That’s right, £100! Unless we pay within 14 days, in which case we only have to pay £60. My son won’t pay it, as he says they can’t make us pay and their threats are idle. His boss never pays these things and he’s still alive and kicking! Apparently! I’ve paid the damn thing. Can’t be doing with the hassle. :silent: Son thinks I’m stupid. Whatever.
Steve.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Estate agents around today.....I don’t know if I’m getting more cynical or they are getting worse but I have never heard so much b@##&£*t in my life :censored: ](*,)
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

Whilst I'm hugely impressed with your proposed new line of watches and I'm not knocking your product, for you to state "the logo does not look like the Maserati logo", is not correct.
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Getting up for work
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
downer

Post by downer »

Why don’t people come equipped with a volume control?

Supposedly intelligent and sophisticated people who don’t seem to understand that there’s really no need to shout when using the phone...

Good grief.
Richard
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

Grow a proper set, you unfunny **** !!

Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
snuffbox
Junior
Junior

Post by snuffbox »

Ooh
Just found this
Watch my post count rocket.
Now ....
Ilkley.
Nice town in Yorkshire
Drove into the car park,saw a space and parked .
Put a ticket in the window .
Came back to find a ticket.
I’d inadvertently parked in a place that was free parking for twenty minutes,so got ticketed for illegal parking in kin car park ffs.
Bstds

Oh
Yes
Audi drivers.
Don’t know what indicators are.
Sound their horn a nanosecond after the lights have changed because you haven’t moved off then get all upset when you stop at traffic lights and they don’t and realise their coolant is leaking all over the road because there’s a metal step on the back of my van they’ve just driven into
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

my upstairs neighbour is SINGING again..... he does this often at the top of his voice. he never sings an entire song - just snippets of yelling / singing. perhaps he's drunk but this goes on any hour of the day or night. it's then like chinese water torture waiting for the next snippet. it's doing my frigging head in. when my head's not good i get quite paranoid and feel like he's listening in to my flat and doing it deliberately to wind me up......

GREAT TO FEEL YOU HAVE SUCH FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION -woohoo! - BUT TRY SHUTTING UP AND DRAWING A PICTURE INSTEAD!! :lol:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes

I Can Get It Cheaper

Post by scooter »

30th March got voicemail from Post Office Money re scooter insurance renewal due mid April. It would be £86.61 including the dreaded £10 renewal fee. The call invited me to phone to discuss and 'was I happy with the quotation.'

I do nothing.

Today another call which I took. Same chap as on voicemail. We talked and I asked him what his best price was. He said and I kid you not 'it's already as cheap as chips.' I said fair enough and that I'll get on Go Compare and go elsewhere.

He then send if I could find and prove a cheaper quote 'we can talk again.'

'Fine' says I, 'I'll ring you back in 10'.

Got on Go Compare and find best quote at £78 with Bennetts.

Ring back Stephen at POM and speak with a very polite young lady. Explain all to be told that she would refer the matter to Stephen. I replied that was OK but to tell Stephen not to hang about as I wasn't going to.

Five minutes later I took another call but not from Stephen who was 'not available.' The message was that I could have it for £76.61 and that was knocking off the £10 renewal fee.

I have to go through this each and every year.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I can’t wait for that squeaky 118 ad to be pulled as it sets my Westie off. :grumble:
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Future daughter in law called for petrol and left her purse & phone on the car roof. In spite of other vacant pumps, a car sat behind her, causing her to feel rushed. She drove off leaving her stuff on the roof. She returned later to find that her credit cards, licence and a £10 note were all there but her actual, now empty purse and phone have gone. It was all in the purse, so it’s a strange one! Apparently the manager was out on the forecourt and saw her drive off and the purse fall. He had to finish what he was doing, before he could go and retrieve her purse. When he got there, it’d been emptied! She tried to ring the phone but after initially ringing, it was then turned off. Theiving scumbags! I don’t care if you believe in “finders keepers”, you know it ain’t yours so you’re lower than a snakes belly! Thieving scumbags! Have I already said that?
Steve.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

When the ebay or Catawki seller lists a vintage watch as ‘running well’ or ‘keeps perfect time’ because they wound it and the second hand moved.

Meantime, those Catawiki experts, whose oversight we are expected to rely upon, even though their input extends to looking at low res photos and reading the seller’s own self-defined pitch of vintage horological glory. I’m perfectly capable of reading and looking at crap photos myself.

I’ve stopped buying vintage watches on auction sites because of you can’t trust sellers these days. Whatever happened to decent folk just clearing out their unwanted items, without trying to rip people off?
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot