FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby smegwina » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Who wants Croatia to win on Sunday?

MOI!!
Oui!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
User avatar
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
 
Posts: 11243
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 10:04 am
CW-watches: 11

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby 0uatiOW » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 pm

^^ It’ll be hard for them - having played 6 hours of football plus 2 penalty shootouts in 11 days, and it looks like a few of them have picked up some knocks.

They got stronger in the second half while we tired, and we paid the price for not taking our chances in the first half.

Well played to both teams but in the end, Croatia were too good for us.
0uatiOW
Senior
Senior
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
CW-watches: 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby jtc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm

France will win on Sunday. It's just a question of by how many goals.
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

Tudor Pelagos (ETA) | Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 | Omega Speedmaster Apollo XV 40th Anniversary | Halios Seaforth Pastel | C8 UTC Worldtimer | C7 Hornet COSC #002/150 | Seiko Kinetic 5M42 Ti
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK
CW-watches: 2

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby oberonfoto » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:24 pm

0uatiOW wrote:^^ It’ll be hard for them - having played 6 hours of football plus 2 penalty shootouts in 11 days, and it looks like a few of them have picked up some knocks.

They got stronger in the second half while we tired, and we paid the price for not taking our chances in the first half.

Well played to both teams but in the end, Croatia were too good for us.


What chances? England only had TWO (2) shots on target for the whole game!
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service
Elliot Brown Canford - Ltd Edition Submariner, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, TagHeuer Kirium, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Victoria
User avatar
oberonfoto
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:55 am
Location: Dumfries and Galloway
CW-watches: 4

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby Richard D » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:16 am

I watched the first 90 minutes and then decided to take advantage of the near deserted roads to drive home from The University of Warwickshire to Berkshire. By all accounts Croatia derseves to be in the final. For a small nation this is a fantastic achievement.
Richard
User avatar
Richard D
Forumgod
Forumgod
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby 0uatiOW » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:33 am

oberonfoto wrote:What chances? England only had TWO (2) shots on target for the whole game!


Lingard shot, Kane near post, Sterling breaks, Stones header, Kane header opportunity at the end. Those were chances and if we’d have put any of them away we might have won.
0uatiOW
Senior
Senior
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
CW-watches: 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby TigerChris » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 am

0uatiOW wrote:
oberonfoto wrote:What chances? England only had TWO (2) shots on target for the whole game!


Lingard shot, Kane near post, Sterling breaks, Stones header, Kane header opportunity at the end. Those were chances and if we’d have put any of them away we might have won.


^^ :lol: :lol: Is this a serious post??? If my Auntie had b*****s she’d be my uncle! I want England to win at anything, but ifs and buts don’t count in proffessional sport. Your post is as daft as a batsman in cricket saying ‘if i’d Have hit that i wouldn’t have been bowled’. Missing chances means you are not good enough. What annoys me is the typical English mentality. The commentators said at the end something along the lines of ‘they’ll return home to a hero’s welcome’ (it wasn’t those words, but meant roughly the same). What a load of b*****s! I’m not a football fan, but its our national sport, we have more players to pick from than any other country in the world and still haven’t won anything for years and years. Losing in a semi final shouldn’t be seen as a success, it should be seen as a failure. The sooner this country realises this and gets rid of the ‘its not the winning its the taking part attitude’ the better, and the attitude ‘they did well, we should be proud of them’. I’m happy in one way though as I made more money tonight. After the full time whistle it was obvious, even to a non wendyball fan, that we couldn’t score in a brothel as we were knackered, so I stuck some money on Croatia winning in extra time and it not going to penalties. 4/1 winner, job done :D I’m brassed of in another way as I want England to win at whatever we play. Sorry, I’ve just realised i’ve drifted a little off topic there :lol:
User avatar
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm
CW-watches: 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby blowfish89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:08 am

England only had one shot on target, which was a goal.
Image
User avatar
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
 
Posts: 6722
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:45 pm
Location: California

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby Matta » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 am



Comments ?
Matta
Senior
Senior
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:45 pm
CW-watches: 0

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby hughesyn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:43 am

TigerChris wrote: Losing in a semi final shouldn’t be seen as a success, it should be seen as a failure. The sooner this country realises this and gets rid of the ‘its not the winning its the taking part attitude’ the better, and the attitude ‘they did well, we should be proud of them’.


England did better than great footballing nations like Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina.
They did better than they have for many years.
Something to be proud of, particularly given the smaller population of England.

If you had a friend that got to the semi final of Wimbledon, or won a bronze medal at the Olympics, would you tell them how crap they are for not winning?
Are the only good F1 drivers those in the top places?
Are football clubs not worth supporting unless they are in the top few places in the Premier league?

Football is entertainment but supporting a team involves emotion. Like a play, without tradgedy, success is less sweet.
Losing against Iceland in the Euros was a low. Reaching the semis in this world cup is a high.

Fortunately, there is more to sport than winning.
Last edited by hughesyn on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE
User avatar
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:01 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
CW-watches: 4

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby sinner777 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:03 am

jtc wrote:France will win on Sunday. It's just a question of by how many goals.
Same predictions (me included) were on England.

We shall see..

I even made special T-shirt for the game..


Image
User avatar
sinner777
Forumgod
Forumgod
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 10:43 am
Location: Zagreb. Croatia
CW-watches: 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby magicman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 am

hughesyn wrote:
TigerChris wrote: Losing in a semi final shouldn’t be seen as a success, it should be seen as a failure. The sooner this country realises this and gets rid of the ‘its not the winning its the taking part attitude’ the better, and the attitude ‘they did well, we should be proud of them’.


England did better than great footballing nations like Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina.
They did better than they have for many years.
Something to be proud of, particularly given the smaller population of England.

If you had a friend that got to the semi final of Wimbledon, or won a bronze medal at the Olympics, would you tell them how crap they are for not winning?
Are the only good F1 drivers those in the top places?
Are football clubs not worth supporting unless they are in the top few places in the Premier league?

Football is entertainment but supporting a team involves emotion. Like a play, without tradgedy, success is less sweet.
Losing against Iceland in the Euros was a low. Reaching the semis in this world cup is a high.

Fortunately, there is more to sport than winning.


I can see valid points in both the above, but I won't be watching the losers final, pointless game.
Why should Harry Kane or Lukaku get another shot at adding more goals, to their tallys.
I can name a single Team that boasts About 3rd place.
I think England did a great job, and I enjoyed it while it lasted.
Now I shall cheer on France , and hope a Tottenham player lifts the world cup.
Or I won't hear the end of it from the West Ham boys.

Regards Steve
User avatar
magicman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:45 pm
Location: Loughton, Essex
CW-watches: 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby downer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:46 am

hughesyn wrote:
TigerChris wrote: Losing in a semi final shouldn’t be seen as a success, it should be seen as a failure. The sooner this country realises this and gets rid of the ‘its not the winning its the taking part attitude’ the better, and the attitude ‘they did well, we should be proud of them’.


England did better than great footballing nations like Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina.
They did better than they have for many years.
Something to be proud of, particularly given the smaller population of England.

If you had a friend that got to the semi final of Wimbledon, or won a bronze medal at the Olympics, would you tell them how crap they are for not winning?
Are the only good F1 drivers those in the top places?
Are football clubs not worth supporting unless they are in the top few places in the Premier league?

Football is entertainment but supporting a team involves emotion. Like a play, without tradgedy, success is less sweet.
Losing against Iceland in the Euros was a low. Reaching the semis in this world cup is a high.

Fortunately, there is more to sport than winning.


Totally agree. To measure success, some context is required.
Richard
User avatar
downer
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 20891
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: UK
CW-watches: 2

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby STodd » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:21 am

hughesyn wrote:England did better than great footballing nations like Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina.
They did better than they have for many years.
Something to be proud of, particularly given the smaller population of England.

If you had a friend that got to the semi final of Wimbledon, or won a bronze medal at the Olympics, would you tell them how crap they are for not winning?
Are the only good F1 drivers those in the top places?
Are football clubs not worth supporting unless they are in the top few places in the Premier league?

Football is entertainment but supporting a team involves emotion. Like a play, without tradgedy, success is less sweet.
Losing against Iceland in the Euros was a low. Reaching the semis in this world cup is a high.

Fortunately, there is more to sport than winning.


Well said


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve
CW C60 GMT MkI,C11 Elite + Pro Orange,C700 Grande Rapide,2x C8 Pilot MkII,C10 2013 FLE #13,
C4 'Phoenix',C40 Speedhawk,C7 Bluebird LE #319,C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00 Scurfa Diver One NATO Seiko KS 5621-7020 Luminox Atacama 1833
User avatar
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
CW-watches: 11

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia

Postby sproughton » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 pm

blowfish89 wrote:England only had one shot on target, which was a goal.
Image

Which is clearly wrong as the 'keeper saved well from Kane's shot on target in the 1st half.

We did have good chances in the first half, but after that we were comprehensively outplayed.
sproughton
Forumgod
Forumgod
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:59 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
CW-watches: 4

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jtc, Martin and 20 guests

Christopher Ward Website