Using your timer function

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Using your timer function

Post by Ian Mc »

When was the last time you used the timer on your super accurate. COSC watch for something really practical?

I just used mine to time my boiled eggs to perfection. :thumbup:
Time keeps on slipping into the future
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Using your timer function

Post by nbg »

About an hour ago - chrono function to time the tea brewing.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

It's not a super accurate COSC but the last thing I timed with my watch was how long my work computer took to boot. Apparently it wasting a day a year is not slow enough to earn me an upgrade, but I tried!
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

suicidal_orange wrote:It's not a super accurate COSC but the last thing I timed with my watch was how long my work computer took to boot. Apparently it wasting a day a year is not slow enough to earn me an upgrade, but I tried!
Just leave it turned on!
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

hughesyn wrote:
suicidal_orange wrote:It's not a super accurate COSC but the last thing I timed with my watch was how long my work computer took to boot. Apparently it wasting a day a year is not slow enough to earn me an upgrade, but I tried!
Just leave it turned on!
Even setting aside my personal views on environmental issues I work for local government who are constantly making people redundant due to lack of funds -
bigger electrictricity bills are the last thing they need!
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

suicidal_orange wrote:
hughesyn wrote:
Just leave it turned on!
Even setting aside my personal views on environmental issues I work for local government who are constantly making people redundant due to lack of funds -
bigger electrictricity bills are the last thing they need!

The extra cost of leaving the PC on 24 / 7 is about 7000 hours x 0.1 kW x 0.15p per kWhr = £ 105.

A productive day or your time probably costs your employer a lot more than that.

From a financial point of view it makes sense!
Maybe not from an environmental.

Does your pc have a sleep mode that uses very little power and comes straight back on?
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Teg62
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Teg62 »

Ditto to the egg boiling, the only time I really use it I'm sorry to say.
ziphos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by ziphos »

I also use my expensive chronograph to time cooking. A simple £5 kitchen timer would do it just as well.
CW C60 pro 300, C60 pro 600, C60 pro 600 GMT, C60 Titanium V2, C65 Trident Classic, C7 Rapide, C63
Omega Speedmaster Professional, Speedmaster Racing, Seamaster (1950's)
Breitling 2x Aerospace
Also: Borealis Bulova Casio Scurfa
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by borderman »

Earlier today to time parking in a time restricted bay.

Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

All the time.

I find it very useful for the usual daily stuff like cooking, parking meters, journey times, work-outs, baby’s feeds/sleeps, long phone calls/meetings in work etc.

My Omega Speedmaster can occasionally be used in a couple of slightly less-usual ways though:

- As a date indicator (the Moonwatch doesn’t have a date display) – just stop the Chronograph Second hand on the desired marker corresponding to the date. To be honest, I rarely, if ever, need to do that though.

- In conjunction with the Tachymeter scale, it can of course be used to measure speed & distance, but also to quickly predict production rate per hour. It could be used to estimate factory production schedules, for example, but I most recently used it to let me predict how long I’d have to wait for my music library to completely sync over to my new iPhone e.g. pick a single song (with an average MB size), start the chronograph when the download commences, and stop it once completed – if just over 10 seconds have passed and the chrono hand has stopped at 350 on the tachymeter scale, then that’s the average rate of song transfers per hour.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I use my chronographs a lot when teaching for timed activities. If I tell my pupils it will be five minutes, they know it will be five minutes. At home, my tumble dryer is in the garage, so it is useful to set a chronograph so that I know when it has finished.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)