Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

The 2017 "What Camera?" Thread

Post by rgb »

Preface
My sister has started a business (https://ttlgcreations.ca/) and I might start one too, both of which requiring ongoing product photography. Nice close ups with killer detail, not at all unlike the shots Josh takes for his site (although these businesses have nothing to do with watches).

I have the studio lamps and a lightbox. Sturdy tripod w/geared head is in the shopping cart. It's just the camera I am stalling on.

Question
What camera is the best investment, regretfully understanding that like any electronic item today, the superb features today are laughable tomorrow.

Background
I need RAW file ability. I have Photoshop CS6 and am not averse to moving up to Creative Cloud if I need Lightroom.

Were money no object, my name would be on a list for a Hassey X1D. But it is, so it's not.

I do want it all -- largest possible sensor, most megapixels, smallest camera and lens size, lightest weight, sensible pricing, variety of lenses and grips, longevity in kit parts, and decent resale value.

Considerations
I have ruled out Canon. I have simply never liked them. Sorry, Canon dudes. I was a Nikon lad back in the day. Then Hasselblad when film was king.

I have ruled out rangefinder-style cameras – just not the right product for studio work.

Although I’ve scoured specs for a dozen cameras, I’ve somewhat narrowed it down to:

Fuji X-T2 with its APS-C sensor
Sony aRII full-frame sensor
Leica V-Lux Typ 114 w 1” sensor and fixed 25-400mm lens

If I go with one lens it would need to have close focusing ability. Some items can be an inch in size. But I also need a usable lens for non-studio work too. I am unsure how the base kit lens would meet the need to get close-up to the items, hence thinking I might benefit from adding in a macro.

My budget is $3000. Way under is even better. I can lease it if need be (and write it off as an expense). Just looking at base kits ...

Prices for the Sony aRII (CDN$)
- body w/kit FR 28-70mm f.3.5-5.6 OSS (optical steady shot) lens $2099 (sale price)
- 90mm macro $1399 (sale price)

Prices for Fuji X-T2
- body w kit 18-55mm f2.8-4 R(aperture ring) LM(linear motor) OIS(Optical stabilization) $2399
- 60mm macro $799

Price for Leica V-Lux Typ 109
- $1649

I am open to any suggestions on improving either of these kits, or to point out some product I've not thought of. And if anyone knows anyone who works at a camera store giving a 30%+ discount ...... !!

Thanks!
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

The 2017 "What Camera?" Thread

Post by gaf1958 »

Of the three you've suggested, here are some musings.

Sony. I'm assuming you mean the 42mp a7Rii? Certainly an excellent camera, with both the resolution you're after, plus the full frame sensor size to achieve that resolution without too much in the way of noise p, although for studio shots you're presumably using good lighting with low ISO settings so noise shouldn't be a problem. Depending on the delivery channel you're looking at (internet vs print) the resolution may be overkill for requirements.

Leica. Among the cameras I own is a Sony RX10iii - a 1" sensor with 25-600mm Zeiss lens that is rather similar to the Leica. Surprisingly good, actually amazingly good for a mid sized sensor with such a zoom range. The disadvantages for your purposes are the same as the Leica. The non-interchangeable lens means one lens must do it all. They do a surprisingly good job at being an all rounder, but a studio camera it isn't, and the 1" sensor gives away a lot of size compared to a 24x36mm "FF" sensor. That means higher noise apples to apples, but does have one advantage - more depth of field at any given aperture.

Fuji. Bit of one, bit of the other. For some purposes a great compromise, but without full knowledge of your intended usage I can't help but feel that the Sony will be the better solution. I will however admit to not knowing a great deal about Fuji cameras...

Alternatives. Since you don't like Canon (my suggestion would have been the 50mp 5Ds) then how about one of the many FF Nikon DSLRs around. As a system camera Nikon is hard to beat, with a multitude of good *used* lenses out there to consider. Even a used body is a good consideration, provided you get one with low shutter actuations - e.g. an amateur's camera, not a pro's former camera. The market is there for Nikon (and Canon too) and the prices can be very, very attractive compared to new prices. Less so for Lenses which hold their value better than digital camera bodies, but even so...

Edit: a bit of history. I have used both Canon and Nikon SLR equipment for over 40 years, and I like both; I have no significant preferences either way. In the last 6 or 7 years, I have also used a lot of Panasonic M43 gear along with more recent usage of Sony. What I'm trying to say is that I have no built-in biases toward any brand of photo equipment :)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: The 2017 "What Camera?" Thread

Post by gaf1958 »

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: The 2017

Post by tikkathree »

gaf1958 wrote:An interesting read here:

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/234170 ... this-first

Agreed. The kit has all gone now but I adore the ergonomics of MF photography, especially with a WLF on top. My downfall is that I don't have the inclination to develop my own film and the resultant processing costs became a killer. Digital MF had always been an unfulfilled temptation so thanks for this article.

And, I'm afraid I can't help: Canon FF all the way in this house.
rgb wrote:Preface

I have ruled out Canon. I have simply never liked them. Sorry, Canon dudes.

Thanks!
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Long time Canon fan, who switched allegiance to Nikon about eight years ago and, whilst I still have the Nikon dslr kit, I've now got a Fuji X100s and, whilst this model isn't suitable for your purposes, it is a stunning camera. From what I've read about current Fuji offerings, I'd suggest that you research the Fuji angle. They've come an awful long way of late!
Steve.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

My wife doesn't shoot macro but I did do a ton of research on mid size, full frame cameras. The Nikon D750 always came out on top. I wouldn't worry about the kit lens and actually would recommend buying just the body. Aftermarket glass is so much better than what comes standard with the cameras.

For portrait photography, the AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens is cheap and very well liked. I see some great macro shots with the Nikon AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED Lens as well.

All three pieces would run about 2,700 USD.
DaytonaRik
Senior
Senior

Post by DaytonaRik »

I would argue that 50mm for a portrait lens is pretty short on an FF body - ideally you'll be looking at 80-105, with 50-65 on an MF body with a conversion factor of around 1.6.
I just think it's cool to have an obsolete technology on my wrist that actually works. - rfortson
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

DaytonaRik wrote:I would argue that 50mm for a portrait lens is pretty short on an FF body - ideally you'll be looking at 80-105, with 50-65 on an MF body with a conversion factor of around 1.6.
I agree with you that 85mm is preferred by most professionals for portrait but some of that depends on location of the shoot. My wife does a lot of newborn shoots and had a lot of trouble with the distance the 85 requires away from the subject. Some of these kids rooms only allow 5 feet between her and the child and when standing over them, even less. She ends up using the 50 most of the time and actually returned the 85.

Edit: I lied, just looked in her camera bag and the 85 is still there. Moral of the story, she likes the D750.
DaytonaRik
Senior
Senior

Post by DaytonaRik »

It's all about the subject -a newborn won't object to you being 2ft away but a model will likely storm off the shoot, frequently after inserting said 50mm where it's not designed to fit!
I just think it's cool to have an obsolete technology on my wrist that actually works. - rfortson